Subject: How to play: Mercator ex Tabriz rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomas Riha
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mercator is propably one of the most straight forward characters to play. But still there are a few things that are good to keep in mind.

His main strategy is obviously to do contracts and letting the other players use the market. So dont block the market for other players. Use Khans Gift and city resources to complete your contracts. Travelling isnt really his thing but if its within reach its beneficial to get to cities with resources. By placing using the city resources that might be on the map you force the other players to the market and boost your own bonuses.

1. Draft him when there is a shortage of resources on the cities.
2. Focus on Contracts.
3. Travel to resources but dont bother too much about travel missions.

Ive read someone say that their group doesnt use the Mercator because he is unfun to play. Well to some extent I would agree as his bonus is passive and not active ability. But if you actually do cut of resources in the cities and push your opponents towards the market then you can affect your ability and that is alot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Heitzinger
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I haven't played him yet, but he definitely seems quite good. You can expect to get 5 camel, 5 spice, and 5 cloth over the game, and maybe a few golds (depends on the number of gold actions taken). The only issues are that you can't count on getting the freebies because it's up to your opponents, and if your opponents mostly focus on travel, you may get much fewer goods overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I almost completely disagree with this advice. Mercator should travel quite a lot, always aiming to complete his objectives. The best city for him is 2 different resources->move. In 4er resource cities don´t hinder him very much. He is always a good pick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Brink
msg tools
Hi,

why do you think, that traveling is not a good oppotunity? I think you should travel as much as you can with this charakter.

Best regards,
Andreas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the strategy advice could look more like this:
TexMurphy wrote:
1. Draft him when there is a shortage of resources on the cities. no completely obvious other pick.
2. Focus on Contracts. nothing particular, Mercator is pretty flexible.
3. Travel to resources but dont bother too much about travel missions. and usually aim to fulfill your travel missions unless they are completely crappy (which shouldn't really happen as long as you play with 'pick 2 from 4' expert mode.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.