9 Posts

Smash Up» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can I destroy my own minion, using its own ability? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Hop
Ukraine
flag msg tools
Can I destroy my own minion, using its own ability? For example, can i destroy my own spirit, using its ability "Choose a minion. You may discard cards equal to its power to destroy it".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. "Choose a minion" does not care who controls it. It could be yours, it could be an opponent's, or it could be an uncontrolled Monster from SU:Munchkin.

Otherwise, the text would specifically say "Choose another minion", "Choose another minion at this base", "Choose a minion controlled by another player", etc.
Usually the text is very specific.

Edit: I just re-read your question and now I'm not so sure I am answering the right thing.
If the ability happens when you play the minion, then no I don't think it can affect the same minion you are playing, because it isn't "a minion in play" until it has successfully come into play and resolved its text.
This has nothing to do with destroying or not, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say yes, because the ability of the minion happens AFTER it has been played. So the minion is fully in play, so fully targetable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johny D
msg tools
mbmbmb
Atatan wrote:
Can I destroy my own minion, using its own ability? For example, can i destroy my own spirit, using its ability "Choose a minion. You may discard cards equal to its power to destroy it".

It depends. In the rulings there is no order of events indication. So you can do that if you consider that the ability of the minion happens only after the minion is played.

But be careful... Doing so will affect consistency of some cards regarding game rules. So in tournaments we haven't allowed this so far, unless it is explicitly stated otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Person
United States
California
flag msg tools
jozxyqk wrote:
Yes. "Choose a minion" does not care who controls it. It could be yours, it could be an opponent's, or it could be an uncontrolled Monster from SU:Munchkin.

If another player takes control of a monster you can still kill it with spirit, it's still a minion.

Also I'm pretty sure you can use a spirit to destroy itself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
Total unplayed games in my collection: 7
mbmbmbmbmb
A minion can absolutely target itself. This is definitely a legal Spirit play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Bloomer
msg tools
rulezfin wrote:
Atatan wrote:

It depends. In the rulings there is no order of events indication. So you can do that if you consider that the ability of the minion happens only after the minion is played.

But be careful... Doing so will affect consistency of some cards regarding game rules. So in tournaments we haven't allowed this so far, unless it is explicitly stated otherwise.

If Spirit can't destroy itself, can Mimic be played by Venus Mantrap's talent? Or is Microbot Guard protected from self destruction when played on a base with no minions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Browning
United States
COLORADO SPRINGS
Colorado
flag msg tools
Quote:

The IYF rulebook does state on page 5:
Quote:
Cheater! Y U Action Twice? Abilities only happen when you play a card from your hand, or anytime a card says "play."

And on page 11:
Quote:
Play:You play a card when its one of the free cards you get in step 2, or any time an ability specifically says that you're playing it. A card's ability happens when you play it.

This is why War Raptor is only power 2 while in your hand, and only becomes power 3 after you play it (if its the only one there).
This would also be why Mimic CAN be played by Venus Mantrap's talent (because it is only power 0 while still in your hand or your draw deck).
Microbot Guard says: "Destroy a minion on this base with power less than the number of minions you have here."
So, if this is the first minion you play to a base, it will not destroy itself because the number of minions you have at the base is 1. Therefore you will be looking for a minion with less power, which can only be zero. Since you have no minions with power 0 there, you don't destroy a minion. Now, if your opponents did not have any minions to kill, and you had one other (or more) minion at the base, and you played Microbot Guard, it would destroy itself. Once you play Microbot Guard, its ability activates. You have to follow it. Destroy a minion of power less than the number of minions there. So if Microbot Guard was the 2nd minion, you will be required to destroy a minion of power 0 or 1, it one exists. Hopefully, itll be an opponents card, but if not, Microbot Guard is a power 1 card, therefore it is a valid target.
TL;DR.
Yes, Spirit can destroy himself. His ability activates as soon as you play him. It doesn't specify "other" minion or "another players minion". You also don't HAVE to kill him either, ie: if he's the only minion on the table when played, as the text states "may".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rulezfin wrote:
In the rulings there is no order of events indication.

In the "this is how you roll" section of the rules, under "play cards" and "Minions", it says that you put the minion besides a base. In the next sentence, it says to do what the card says.
The minion does it's thing after it's in play on a base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.