Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Warren Wawrosch
United States
Brimfield Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Should Russian companies be allowed to have 4-unit densities as stipulated in 3.2.5 Stacking? 4 platoons is OK, but only 2 companies per 250m hex sounds more reasonable.

The following link offers some idea of WW2 unit frontages:
http://balagan.info/infantry-unit-frontages-during-ww2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Warren,

For the sake of simplicity, I changed the stacking limits of PanzerBlitz to those of PanzerLeader. I get the concern, though, and may make a parenthetical note (or a change to stacking if the screaming is loud enough).

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've taken some time to take a closer look at this and scour through my vast collection of PB/PL articles as well as the designer's notes for both of those games. My conclusion:

Soviets only get to stack two units per hex.

I never realized until taking a closer look that the Soviet units were based on companies rather than platoons like all of the other units. In looking at the organization charts in the PB Campaign Analysis, there are about twice as many German units required to make up the equivalent Soviet unit, so there you go.

I also took a look at the ImStrat units and pretty much all of the units are platoon-sized (other than para units, which are squads), so the Soviets are the only exceptions.

I'll be making this adjustment to the rules soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McConnell
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Armored Combat: It's all about position and getting the first shot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike, I have Russian Rifle, Guards, and SMG Companies broken into platoons on some of my optional countersheets. They would still get a four unit (platoon) stacking limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert,

That's correct. Platoons would share the same stacking level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After checking the WW2 unit frontage link, I found the scale of 250M/hex is perfect for a platoon unit size wargame with NO stacking. It is more realistic for no more than one platoon size unit deployed in a 250M wide hex.

I hate checking what are the units in each stack. A non-stacking tactical game will give a clearer picture to the players & help keeping a faster-paced game.

Another good thing for a non-stacking game is that we can put all the annoying game markers under the combat unit. No more stacks of markers everywhere & it will make a cleaner & nicer battle map.

Btw, I prefer to keep the Russian units in company size as in PB. It's more realistic as the Russians lacked leadership, radio & soldier training comparing to the German counterpart. It's also good for having asymmetric units for different nations. I found playing the Russians more challenging & interesting if units are kept to company size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Gaming Guy
msg tools
new user
mpnagel wrote:
Soviets only get to stack two units per hex.

I'll be making this adjustment to the rules soon.

Thank you for updating the ruleset Mike.

Aside from this change on Page 5 were there any other changes between the July 5th version and the newer January 15th one? I did a quick check and I don't think I saw any other updates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.