Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Wrobel
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WE played our first games of Senji last night and all enjoyed it a lot (even those who were suspect going into it). It has a lot of elements of Game of Thrones, but plays with 6 players in 2 hours (which is amazing for any 6 player game) and with more interaction. The Diplomacy phase is fun, and the timing meant it flew by and people really traded fast (many in my group are 'turtlers' but even they were trading). Combat was clean (only 1 family member killed) and military support is critical.

Rules clarifications...

1. Kami. After a samurai commits seppuku (in Autumn), can the Diplomacy and Economic Kami abilities be used right away or do they need to be used in the appropriate phase. We had a player seppuku 2 samurai and immediate use their abilities to steal a Diplomacy Card and get a Resource card. Since, samurai can only seppuku in Autumn seems their kami abilities should be used in the appropriate phase.

2. Army Units. Why are most (all save black) Units double sides with one side being gray colored?

3. Sea movement/rules.
3a. You don't put a Action Token in the sea space, correct?
3b. Sea space are activated by the Emperor (not tied to a region activating), correct?
3b. The Emperor will call a specific fleet to activate, correct? If multiple players in the Sea, each player is called individually. Should the player flip Units to the gray side if left at sea after activation?

4. Emperor. Very powerful role! Thought about house rule where Emperor will not stay with the same clan 2 turns in a row.

Other notes.
- game seems to a bang then rebuild feel, since using Hanafuda cards and also attacking expends these resources and a player needs to 'rebuild' after. It makes a tug of war between getting a few points to get Emperor or saving up for the big honor gains.

- be cool if there was some Events deck with some event (tsunami, Mongol invasion, etc). Events could modify the Hanafuda card values, colors, or symbols. Example: Bountiful Harvest: All Green Hanafuda cards Value can be treated as +/- 1 during Autumn. Call for Ronin: May treat Animal Hanafuda cards as Ribbons.

- be interesting if the Hanafuda cards had a move/military side which makes them double usage and raises the options/planning of the game. Yes, I saw the other post on this forum.

- one of the players thought a remake as Game of Thrones would be cool. Or somehow porting the Dilpomacy deck into GoT so you could swap family, trade or call on support in battle. Interesting thought!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Wrobel
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bump with hopes for some clarification or feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I've never played with Kami, can't comment.
2. Couldn't tell you, but when an army moves out to sea (not to raid) we turn them face-down to indicate that they won't move again this year.
3. That's my understanding.
4. The designers mentioned an official variant that helps a great deal, in my estimation--in Autumn, play order is not set by the player hosting the Emperor, but rather happens in order of descending points. That makes it much easier for the leader to change and puts pressure on winning players to trade in inefficient sets of hanafuda cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Wrobel
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I like the Autumn change as it will assist in lower point players having a chance to surprise and decide if/how much to score (also adds more pressure/risk on the higher point players).

Would still like some clarification on Seppuku/Kami rules and how many can commit Seppuku and can be used in one turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.