Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Help me choose rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
danutzek danutzek
Romania
flag msg tools
Hello!
Can you please tell me what shall I buy for solo sesions only between Mage Knight and Descent 2 with Road to Legend app ? I have been watching video reviews for both of the games and both of them look appealing to me. If I had more money I would have bought both of them,but since I don't I have to choose only one. What are your recomandations ?

Thank you so much !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
those are two very different games. it comes down to personal taste. do you like puzzles or do you like playing with little figures?

Descent feels more like playing to me, while Mage Knight feels more like gaming to me, if you know what I mean. Both can be fun.

In Mage Knight the theme helps you enjoy the brilliant mechanics, while in Descent the mechanics help you enjoy the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Ocieczek
Poland
Sosnowiec
Śląskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MKBG is designed to be a solo/coop game while Descent is at least two players game and in my opinion it makes the difference.
Application never replaces Overlord no matter what marketing will say.

Descent is built on conflict between Overlord and Players, and both sides want to overcome the other. And this is the ultimate prize.
MKBG challenges you in other way, you gain satisfaction from your brilliant strategy utilization instead of opponent destruction factor

The other thing is replayability which should be much higher in case of MKBG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are great, and I agree with Alex re the differences.
I find personally, I feel a greater degree of elation when I play and do well in Mage Knight though.
In Descent, it feels good when you roll well and things go your way, but in Mage Knight it feels great when you nut out the best way to use your cards to accomplish whatever the task at hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tate
United Kingdom
Banbury
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend MK and the Lost Legion if you are playing it solo or co-op. It's a great game anyway but the Lost Legion raises it to a completely new level for solo or co-op
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus Lee
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both games (Descent with the App as Overlord) a few times and both are very enjoyable. I think that one of the main differences between these two system is the use of dice (and other randomize factors to a lesser extent). In Mage Knight, most of the time you will see the results of the randomize factors (dice results, card draws and flip of enemy tokens) before you make your decision. In that way, you feel like you are solving a puzzle. On the other hand, in Descent, you have to make you decision first (usually base on the probability of some randomize results) before throwing the dice (or opening the door, etc.). Depending on your taste, you could choose which way you would like to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.