Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: seattle [+] [View All]
Julie DuBois
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
I've reserved the meeting room at the Capitol Hill branch of the Seattle Public Library from 10:30 AM until 5:30 PM on Saturday, April 21, for a boardgame gathering. I'd like you to RSVP either by posting in this thread or sending me a geekmail message. The meeting room can accomodate about 30 gamers, so I expect there'll be room for anyone who wants to attend. The format is open gaming, although feel free to arrange games in advance on this thread. I'd be happy to bring any games from my collection that you're interested in playing.

SEATTLE BOARDGAME GATHERING
Saturday, April 21, 2007
10:30 AM - 5:30 PM
Seattle Public Library - Capitol Hill Branch
425 Harvard Ave. E., Seattle, WA 98102
RSVP by posting to this thread or geekmail
This event is not sponsored by The Seattle Public Library

It was so much fun when Scott Nicholson was in town in January, that I thought we ought to do it again.

Cheers,

Julie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Nifty. What kind of turnout are you expecting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crap...

You would pick the weekend I'm out of town...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Crap...

You would pick the weekend I'm out of town...

ditto!

If only you'd picked the weekend we -were- in town!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie DuBois
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
EvilTimmy wrote:
Nifty. What kind of turnout are you expecting?

I'm guessing it won't be too difficult to get about 16 gamers to show up. I've already received a few interested responses. There's room for about 30, so it's possible we'll get more. I'm betting there'll be a good mix of game styles too.

Windopaene wrote:
Crap...You would pick the weekend I'm out of town...

Sorry about that, how does the end of June work for you?

I'd like to do this about four times a year. I'm thinking Jan, Apr, Jun & Sept. Ideally I'd like to make it a two day event; Saturday at the Capitol Hill library and Sunday at the Redmond library. There's enough space at the Redmond library that we could encourage gamers with kids who game to bring them. If anyone would like to help in that regard I'd truly appreciate it - I don't have kids myself.

Patt wrote:
ditto! If only you'd picked the weekend we -were- in town!

If all goes well on the 21st, then I'll post about future dates. Perhaps you'll be in town -then-. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin N
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As I said last night, barring unforeseen circumstances, I'll be there after 3:00, Julie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Beeler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Pretty soon, you've been around long enough that you're old.
badge
Why am I the only one who has that dream?
mbmbmbmbmb
Should be doable. Does having this in the library mean we'd have to be quiet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Stever
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for organizing it. I'm sorry I won't make it this time, however, due to a conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie DuBois
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
[Taking the above post slightly out of order.]

dogberry wrote:
Does having this in the library mean we'd have to be quiet?

Nope. The meeting room is on the second floor, above the library; so I don't forsee any problems with noise. (We'll keep the meeting room door closed.) Do please keep your voices down when entering and exiting the library itself.

It's a new library (2003) with attractive spaces. The meeting room is wheelchair-accessible. The lighting is ample (natural & flourescent). I expect anyone who attends will be pleased with the location and the atmosphere.

The following are some rules, both the library's and mine. They could go without saying, but by stating them I hope to avoid misunderstandings and unpleasant surprises.

Since the event is at a library there are a few Seattle Public Library rules. None of these are overly restrictive. Just common sense stuff like: return the room on-time, clean, and undamaged; put away tables and chairs; only non-commercial use (no selling, advertising, collecting of money, etc.); no flame or smoke producing activities; no alcoholic beverages. This event is not sponsored by The Seattle Public Library.

In addition to the library rules I have a few simple requests of my own:
1) The library allows beverages (non-alcoholic) and light snacks in the meeting room, but will charge for damages or excessive cleaning. Please help me by cleaning up any accidental spills and promptly alerting me to their occurance.
2) Please check with the owner of the game you are playing before consuming any snacks or beverages in the presence of their games. Some people are OK with it and others aren't - please be respectful of the game owner's wishes.
3) If you wish to have a meal, please consume it outside the library and meeting room.
4) This event is open to the public. It has only been announced to BGG and a few local game groups. I doubt we will attract any non-gaming members of the general public. However, if someone unfamiliar with boardgames does inquire what we're doing, please be courteous and point them in the direction of your favorite gateway game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie DuBois
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
quixotic wrote:
As I said last night, barring unforeseen circumstances, I'll be there after 3:00, Julie.

dogberry wrote:
Should be doable.

Justin & Nathan I've added your names to my list of RSVP's. Thanks.

MartinStever wrote:
Thanks for organizing it. I'm sorry I won't make it this time, however, due to a conflict.

Sorry to hear you can't make it, maybe next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Julie,

I might try to come over for the June or Sept.

Keep me posted on dates.

Lynette

PS It was great to see you at GameStorm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie DuBois
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
All set for Saturday!

There's a parking lot diagonally across from the library. It's $5 for all-day on Saturday (Harvard Ave E & E Republican St). There's also street parking in the neighborhood. Some spots are only for a few hours, but further away there's all-day street parking - around E Roy or E Aloha.

Meerkat wrote:
I might try to come over for the June or Sept. Keep me posted on dates.

I've got the dates for June, I'll post them early next week.

Julie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, I missed it when you first posted about it. I should be able to make it, wearing the same great name badge you made last time!

If I have any games you'd like me to bring, let me know. Otherwise, I'll just bring a few I enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Beeler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Pretty soon, you've been around long enough that you're old.
badge
Why am I the only one who has that dream?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I was unable to attend - Saturday got swamped. I hope there were lots of people and my absence wasn't missed. Did it go over well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie DuBois
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thank you to everyone who came out and made this event a success!

I was going to make a geeklist of the games we played, but creative writing isn't my forte. I'll just list the games played here:
Stephenson's Rocket played by Gene, Eric, Peter & Julie
Tyros played by Dave, Nick & Mark (while waiting for us to finish SR)
Hamsterrolle played by Dave, Nick & Mark (...still waiting)
Factory Fun played by Danny, Kirk, Peter & Julie
Canal Mania played by Gene, Eric, Dave & Nick
Himalaya played by Justin, Danny, Kirk, Peter & Julie
Iliad played by Gene, Eric, Dave & Nick

For those of you who weren't able to attend, perhaps you'll be able to join us at the next event in June. Details will be forthcoming shortly. (I'll post a link from this thread.)

People arrived and left when it was convenient for them and the timing seemed to work out pretty well with no one waiting very long for a game to get started. There were lots of games to choose from. We had water and snacks on hand which turned out to be a good thing, as I personally wasn't willing to stop gaming long enough to eat lunch!

Hope to see you in June!

Julie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Stephenson's Rocket, Tyros, Factory Fun, and Canal Mania?!
Dang! I would have loved to play those (and I actually joked with a fellow Seattle gamer that we should go and force people to play Stephenson's Rocket with us).

Will definitely make the effort to attend the next one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ballinger
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
juliedb wrote:

Factory Fun played by Danny, Kirk, Peter & Julie

Shoot! I left too early.

Thanks, Julie, for organizing the day. I'm looking forward to the next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie DuBois
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there,

Just a quick note to say I've posted the info for the next two Seattle Boardgame Gatherings. Note that these will each be at different locations (see below). Tomorrow I'll set up a thread for boardgaming events in the Seattle area (I'll post that link here too).

Seattle Boardgame Gathering - June 16 (Greenwood)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1548137

Seattle Boardgame Gathering - September 15 (Capitol Hill)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1548148

EDIT: Added the following:

Seattle Area Groups & Events thread
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1550430

BGG regional guild for Seattle, WA, USA
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/42

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.