Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mirkwood Runner vs Ships rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that non ship characters may attack ships. Mirkwood Runner when attacking alone cancels the enemy's defense. Seems too good to be true . . . is this legal?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, good catch! I don't see why this wouldn't work. If you could find an effective means of increasing his attack then he could be a monster in sailing quests! Unfortunately Bow of the Galdhrim needs the ranged keyword, and Rivendell Blade isn't helpful here. Having Celeborn on the table helps for one turn at least.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I'll have to figure out how to buff him. I'm running a Lore Leadership deck at the moment that started as more of a ranger trap deck tailored towards buffs for being engaged with enemies. But the traps are ineffective for the current quest (Flight of the Stormcaller).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rivendell Bow at least allows you to play Bow of the Galadhrim. Unseen Strike is nice for an enemy with higher engagement costs. Narya (on Gandalf or Cirdan) can ready the Runner and also boost his attack. But I can't really think of any options in Lore that would buff a Runner.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm not hung up on sticking to Lore for the buff. At the moment I'm running Elrond with Steward of Gondor on him to generate resources to pay for allies of any sphere. Currently I'm using this for a tactic ally that gets an attack buff for each enemy engaged with you, OR if Elrond is equipped with Vilya (granting him a spirit symbol), questing with Lay of Nihrodel.

So a spirit or tactic buff isn't off the table.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, here's the ultimate cheesy buff.

Run Outlands with Hirluin/LeBoromir/Lore

1) Give Mirkwood Runner In Service of the Steward, so he gets +1 attack when Boromir has a resource.
2) Give Mirkwood Runner Sword of Morthond, so he becomes an Outlands.
3) Get all three Knights of the Swan out.

That will let the Outlands Runner attack for 6 alone, without counting defense .
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose with Elrond as your Lore hero, you don't really need Hirluin to do Outlands.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dalestephenson wrote:
I suppose with Elrond as your Lore hero, you don't really need Hirluin to do Outlands.


The outlands idea with the sword of morthond is probably the most cost efficient without swapping my current heroes. That effectively 2-shots all ships I believe, assuming max buff.

Thanks. I'll have to think about this more.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice. Mirkwood Runner is definitely a cool character that they invented - it has always sounded so good to ignore defense... I should bring him back...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lukeheineman99 wrote:
dalestephenson wrote:
I suppose with Elrond as your Lore hero, you don't really need Hirluin to do Outlands.


The outlands idea with the sword of morthond is probably the most cost efficient without swapping my current heroes. That effectively 2-shots all ships I believe, assuming max buff.

Thanks. I'll have to think about this more.

If you want a true monster add in some Dunedain Marks (+1 attack for each one and they cost "1") so if you got 3 of those on him and you would attack for "9" while ignoring defense
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dren608 wrote:
lukeheineman99 wrote:
dalestephenson wrote:
I suppose with Elrond as your Lore hero, you don't really need Hirluin to do Outlands.


The outlands idea with the sword of morthond is probably the most cost efficient without swapping my current heroes. That effectively 2-shots all ships I believe, assuming max buff.

Thanks. I'll have to think about this more.

If you want a true monster add in some Dunedain Marks (+1 attack for each one and they cost "1") so if you got 3 of those on him and you would attack for "9" while ignoring defense


Dunedain Marks are great, but hero only. And since Mirkwood Runner isn't unique, you can't sword-thain one. (You *could* sword-thain Skinbark if you have Orcs to swat, though. I like the idea of a sword-thained Skinbark in Service of the Steward wielding a sword of morthond -- but that wouldn't help against non-orc ships.)

Since Mirkwood Runner isn't ranged, none of the Silvan weapon attachments do much good. Raiment of War doesn't work because warrior trait is lacking, Dwarrowdelf Axe won't work because dwarf is lacking. However, it *is* possibly to buff our cheesy runner with a couple of Spears of the Mark, and the help of Nor Am I Stranger or Mutual Accord. And there's a number of event cards that can buff his attack.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.