Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a week old, however I didn't see it posted here. Too bad sleeves wouldn't help:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahahaha this is amazing! I run a library game group for teens and I see this kind of stuff all the time. Well not the crazy stuff towards the end of course lol but so many of my cards are bent and creased. And yes, sadly some do end up getting nibbled on. I recognize it's the danger of allowing others to play my games so I don't get mad but I am quick to point out when a card is heading towards someone's mouth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablito A
msg tools
I just make a point of telling people, milk produces give me explosive diarrhea and I never wash my hands after going to the bathroom.

And I wonder why no one will play with me...

On the plus side... My cards are pristine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a lot better before it went all absurd.

Pete (gets it but thought there was more humor to be found in truth)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toliveischrist77 wrote:
Hahahaha this is amazing! I run a library game group for teens and I see this kind of stuff all the time. Well not the crazy stuff towards the end of course lol but so many of my cards are bent and creased. And yes, sadly some do end up getting nibbled on. I recognize it's the danger of allowing others to play my games so I don't get mad but I am quick to point out when a card is heading towards someone's mouth.
I have one guy who is a relentless card-snapper. He feels the need to bend the card back at 90-degrees when playing it, then letting it "snap" onto the table for effect. I have another who is an edge-attacker. He always picks up his cards and bangs them edge-on into the table. My uncle is a card-licker...always licks his thumb before using it to draw a card. And one of my very close friend is a punish-shuffler. He isn't happy shuffling unless he destroys the cards.

Pete (actively avoids card games with all of these people)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With a game like Ascension I'm less inclined to worry about the cards because they're going to get damaged no matter what you do because there is so much shuffling.

My group doesn't engage in activity that lends to permanent creases or tears but we all bridge shuffle and we'll use the table to align all the cards into a neat pile.

However, when it's someone else's game, such as when I am at a convention, I make sure I ask before bridge shuffling or engaging in another act that might cause someone to cringe. It's important to acknowledge that you're using someone else's game and they may be more careful with their games. However, as I don't buy games to sell them, I generally don't worry about it unless it's an OOP or expensive to replace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife was sweet to me this past weekend and picked up a copy of Dominion: Empires. I cracked it open and set out the game to play. Dominion has been a go-to game for the two of us.

So, she sits down to the table with a plate full of waffles and syrup and starts to eat them while playing. . . Oh well soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

The video needed an intermediate step of the guy eating Cheetos and/or greasy pizza first before going absurd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Strait
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
plezercruz wrote:

Maybe, but I thought the final beat "What?" over the bonfire was worth it. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I call a family member the last card bender
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Martinell
United States
Des Moines
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have some friends that don't seem to understand the value of the condition that a game is in. They do a lot of the bending of cards. I try not to let it get to me... but when they let their kids come to the table and start messing with the bits... I'm not happy about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vander Dlonk
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
toliveischrist77 wrote:
I have one guy who is a relentless card-snapper. He feels the need to bend the card back at 90-degrees when playing it, then letting it "snap" onto the table for effect. I have another who is an edge-attacker. He always picks up his cards and bangs them edge-on into the table. My uncle is a card-licker...always licks his thumb before using it to draw a card. And one of my very close friend is a punish-shuffler. He isn't happy shuffling unless he destroys the cards.

Pete (actively avoids card games with all of these people)

May I play your card games? I find myself unconsciously scratching my chin stubble with my hand of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Argh, yes, yes, so true. And so painful to watch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this video is quite similar to what has been done in TableTopTaboos - a show about board game etiquettes. That said, it is still very funny (and cringe inducing). Thanks for posting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
Nitrogen Conservation Awareness: I pee in the yard
mbmbmbmbmb
Two stories immediately come to mind:

Shortly after "coming back into the hobby" in 2006, my wife and travelled out of state to stay with friends, and I took a copy of Modern Art. I watched in horror as our hosts' friend used my cards to pick his teeth.

After the smashing success of Pandemic Legacy: Season 1, I bought Risk Legacy (yep, backwards). I had four players, and I decided to invite my wife's youngest brother to be the fifth. Soon the middle brother called me, begging to be included, saying "I promise not to bend your cards" based on an incident years prior when we played Saboteur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Schade
United States
West Deptford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a guy who puts the cards in his pocket. Man I don't want my cards that close to your junk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saint Gryphon
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Scidad23 wrote:
We have a guy who puts the cards in his pocket. Man I don't want my cards that close to your junk.

I lost a hand worth of Red Flag cards because one of the players put them in their back pocket and then forgot they were playing and wandered off. (There may have been a lot of alcohol involved)

After that I had to make a rule of all cards on the table when not being used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
Where do you find these people? I've never had any of these issues.

Of course I say that as someone who'se friends don't seem to have any bad card-habits and when there's a game that is going to be shuffled alot it gets sleeved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Seol
South Korea
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thank god board gamers don't do this.

When I play with newcomers, however, this sometimes seriously scare me.

Meanwhile, I did see a lot of players lipping meeples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Harper
Switzerland
Baden
Aargau
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I pretty much only play games with my wife at the moment and she is pretty good in trying to keep cards in good condition, even insisting that we sleeve some cards...

Kids on the other hand drive me nuts, my two are pretty good with their game components, but friends come around to play and I see cards and pieces going into mouths and I just cringe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mal Luigi
United States
flag msg tools
My 5 y/o is bad about mouthing cards. He hasn't caught on yet that he could use the degree of slobber-induced warpage to determine which cards his opponents have, so I guess that's a plus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.