A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: playing with just 5 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jerry baker
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
looking to pick this game up but i only have 5 ppl in my group. does this game play good with 5 or is it unbalanced?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lali V Woolf
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
Hi!
In my opinion, this game only shines and works perfect with 6 players. With 5 players should go well, but if not, you could try with the set up of the DWD expansion. I play 4 players (my group games) only with the expansion AFFC ... The basic game less than 5 does not work. By the way, I love this game! kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 1st Edition is a 5 Player game -- but I would get the Clash of Kings Expansion to add Ports and Siege Engines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jerry baker
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i'm refering to the 2nd edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bakerid2000 wrote:
i'm refering to the 2nd edition

I know you are. It is not designed for 5 players, and doesn't play well (Baratheon usually has a HUGE advantage without Martell).

The 1st Edition IS designed for 5 players, and plays very well with that number!

If you want to play 2nd Edition with 5, I would recommend House Ruling it to leave Greyjoy out, and making Pyke inaccessible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it's not really well balanced with 5 players, but there are small setup variations (many that were suggested here in the forums) that fix it well enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While the game is unbalanced, if you are new to it, it wont make any difference. Players will have no idea to which they have an advantage.

Using ToB cards (which many hate) introduce an element of randomness to combat that can throw things to the wind, off setting the unbalance. We played our first 5/6 games with out them, whilst learning the mechanics, advantages, disadvantages and is probably the best way to go. Now we play all games with, especially as we usually have a new player and the greater uncertainty to combat helps them a lot.

Regardless to four, five, six players, we've seen different houses take the win, diplomacy always trumps. 5 player version is my favourite, regardless to which house I get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jerry baker
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Do you use the common 5 player variant or just block off part of the map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alias Saila
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
To balance out five player games you should use neutral force tokens to cover Dorne (making the Boneway, Prince's Pass, Starfall, Yronwood, Salt Shore and Sunspear unassailable for all players!) Personally I don't believe that the 4 and 5 player setups are well thought out as they provide players in the south with a significant advantage over those playing further north. I would also make Dorne unassailable if you are playing the DwD expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ber
France
flag msg tools
mb
Our gaming group often turns out to be a party of 5 as well, but we've dropped the 5p setup provided in the base game as it seems to favour Tyrell and Baratheon too much, and instead we have used a setup without Greyjoy (and Pyke unassailable) that was quite satisfying, although it made the Lannister quite strong.

I have been thinking about trying to remove Baratheon instead, but I'm currently toying with the idea of trying a more thematized 5p setup that I've imagined and described here.
It's fully untested as of now, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.