Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned below (#2), this doesn't mean wearing a t-shirt and underpants to bed. I'm talking about acting like a grown-up and being dressed to go out in public.
Not that that guarantees decorum (or, indeed, pants), but...

Poll
1. Primarily, when you wear a shirt, do you prefer to have it...?
Tucked in
Not tucked in
2. Specifically; A shirt tucking matrix
(This also assumes the wearing of pants; YMMV)
  I never (or rarely) wear this type of shirt I normally tuck it in I normally don't tuck it in I wish that I could tuck, but it won't stay that way...
T-Shirt
Sleeveless Shirt
Casual shirt, no collar
Casual shirt, with collar
Bottom shirt in a 2-layer system
Top shirt in a 2-layer system
Dress Shirt, no jacket
Other (like a Blouse, or back-fastened shirt?)
3. My #1 type of shirt worn the most (whether or not you like it, or if you "have to wear it")
T-Shirt
Sleeveless Shirt
2-layer system with a Bottom shirt and a Top shirt
Casual shirt, no collar, no buttons
Casual shirt, with collar, no buttons
Casual shirt, no collar, with buttons
Casual shirt, with collar, with buttons
Dress Shirt, no jacket
Dress Shirt, with jacket
Other (blouse, perhaps?)
      131 answers
Poll created by MABBY

EDIT:

I'm adding this, too:

Poll
If your shirt has buttons
I use them all
I use all but the top one
I use the majority of them
I might use one or two
Buttons are for decoration only
      118 answers
Poll created by MABBY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
SC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On my job, we are required to wear collared shirts tucked in (which I despise).

For whatever reason, I have a horrible time keeping those shirts tucked in. Not sure how a shirt can get so horribly untucked sitting at a desk typing and clicking buttons all day.

I figure most of the time I look like I've been set upon by brigands when I'm walking around this place, shirt horribly wrinkled and half untucked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
A distinction should be made between work and non-work parts of the day. I wear a shirt and tie each day to work, but dress much more casually when I am not at work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pone4games wrote:
A distinction should be made between work and non-work parts of the day. I wear a shirt and tie each day to work, but dress much more casually when I am not at work.

Poll #3 attempts to consider that. Err on the side of preference if you'd like to.

Do you tear off your tie and change into something else as soon as you get home? Or do you just lose the tie but keep the shirt, and maybe undo a few buttons/ un-tuck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
Pone4games wrote:

Poll #3 attempts to consider that. Err on the side of preference if you'd like to.

Do you tear off your tie and change into something else as soon as you get home? Or do you just lose the tie but keep the shirt, and maybe undo a few buttons/ un-tuck?

Yes, I immediately change out of my work (dress) clothes the moment I get home. How I dress outside of work is vastly different than how I dress at home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
For work I normally wear a polo over a white t-shirt. The only time I tuck is when the t-shirt is visibly longer than the polo at the bottom. Then I tuck in only the t-shirt (bottom layer).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
I'm talking about acting like a grown-up and being dressed to go out in public.

look, I agree with the sentiment but the way you dress should be more related to your outside environment.
on the work front, I have a job where I commonly go out to the factory floor where according to OSHA rules I cant even have a shirt with buttons. So I go to work mush more casually dressed than I originally would prefer. If I am dressed up I tuck. Tucking in a casual shirt does not look good on me being overweight and so it comes off as weird and forced. So I now go through life mostly untucked.
And socially, is it really more grown-up to dress like older people want you to dress or is it more grown-up to dress like the people your trying to attract would want you to dress?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
You don't have an option for me. I tuck when I wear a jumper (or rarely a jacket) and untuck when just a shirt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Spring is upon us and baseball is back! Lets go Mets!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I tend to think untucked looks kind of sloppy, but like it or not, Mabby, we have to accept that fashions change. The vast majority of the people of my parents' generation would be horrified that I don't wear a tie to work, or that I wear a polo shirt for most of the year. That would have been viewed as horribly unprofessional in their day, but today it's fine and, in many cases, preferred. So if untucked is viewed as fashionable, I don't see how we can criticize people for going along with the current trend, even if we old farts find it jarring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh J
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Like others, depends on if I'm at work or not. If I'm working I'll normally tuck it in. I'm a teacher, so it's not like anyone will say anything if it's not tucked in.

If I'm not at work... not tucking in anything unless we're going out to somewhere that I should tuck it into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
The vast majority of the people of my parents' generation would be horrified

I am now my parents generation. You're correct, they would be horrified, and I oftentimes look in the mirror and am slightly horrified.

Since I retired I have no one left to impress so I dress the way I want. I own 44 Hawaiian shirts and about 100 t-shirts. I have on or the other on all the time. My wife doesn't care and the kids don't mock me. I hate wearing pants and prefer workout shorts.

Life is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmbmbmb
I only tuck in my shirt when wearing a suit, or something more formal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
...and the Eye of Sauron the Terrible few could endure.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit unsure how you differ between casual and dress shirts? And what's this thing with no collars?

Anyway, I wear shirts at work, not because it's required but since i prefer it that way. Need to look sharp which is impossible in a T-shirt according to me. And shirts have long sleves as well otherwise it's just a t-shirt with buttons.

I tuck at more formal occasions or when I wear a sweater/cardigan. Otherwise I let it loose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
Yeah, I tend to think untucked looks kind of sloppy, but like it or not, Mabby, we have to accept that fashions change. The vast majority of the people of my parents' generation would be horrified that I don't wear a tie to work, or that I wear a polo shirt for most of the year. That would have been viewed as horribly unprofessional in their day, but today it's fine and, in many cases, preferred. So if untucked is viewed as fashionable, I don't see how we can criticize people for going along with the current trend, even if we old farts find it jarring.

I'm not criticizing, really. I know that a t-shirt and sweat pants/ yoga pants or even pajayma bottoms is acceptable amongst the younger folks. Not my cup of tea, but they have to live in the world too, so whatever floats their boat.
But I am noting that there are not any websites featuring "People of Wal-Mart, dressed in a conventional way".

I own a ton of T-shirts, but I only really wear them to bed or on a weekend. The rest of the time I wear a buttoned casual shirt or a non-buttoned casual shirt.
If I dress too casual at work, then my customers won't take me seriously and I can't risk that. If I walked into a bank for a loan and saw one guy in a suit and another one in short pants and a t-shirt, then I'm going to go to the suit and wonder if the other fellow is a visitor there.

I'm definitely not this guy, who can dress for his customer base and not worry about it:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomfarer wrote:
I'm a bit unsure how you differ between casual and dress shirts? And what's this thing with no collars?

Anyway, I wear shirts at work, not because it's required but since i prefer it that way. Need to look sharp which is impossible in a T-shirt according to me. And shirts have long sleves as well otherwise it's just a t-shirt with buttons.

I tuck at more formal occasions or when I wear a sweater/cardigan. Otherwise I let it loose.

Dress shirts tend to be one color, or a thin pinstripe or check pattern.
Casual shirts can have funky patterns, or be less conventional materials, like flannel. I don't *think* that you can have a flannel dress shirt.

No-collar shirts are easy to find:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can tell you that my mother in law is a right little Tommy "Tucker"

( maybe only cockneys will understand)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:

That's a sweater.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
HOLD THAT TIGER!
HOLD THAT TIGER!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
MABBY wrote:

"sweater" image

That's a sweater.

Fine:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, I'm not a fan of the weird spin-off copycat threads. But spinning off of this one?

I'm sorely tempted to make the "Are you a fucker" thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this thread was going to be about that Silence of the Lambs guy who liked to wear women's skin. I'd post the tucker photo but I don't want to google that stuff at work. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
MABBY wrote:

"sweater" image

That's a sweater.

Fine:

I'd consider that a T-shirt. In fact the URL for the image includes "10-Designs-Mens-T-Shirt-Slim-Fit-Crew-Neck-T-shirt-Men-Short-Sleeve-Shirt-Casual.jpg"

I really can't see a distinction between a collarless casual shirt and a T-shirt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Maybe ~10 years ago, I switched to exclusively wearing short-sleeved button down shirts (over an undershirt) at work. For the first ~9 years, I went tucked. Then last year I put on 10 pounds, and I had to untuck to make the waist comfortable. I've since lost the weight (thanks, Flu!), but I still go untucked; I like the look of tucked, but got used to the comfort of untucked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
sunkencheerio wrote:
I thought this thread was going to be about that Silence of the Lambs guy who liked to wear women's skin. I'd post the tucker photo but I don't want to google that stuff at work. whistle

Yeah, gotta say I was disappointed by the lack of Buffalo Bill in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wear mostly short sleeve (even in winter) button down 'casual' shirts with a collar. Tucked in.
Tied in second is polo shirts (tucked in) and T-shirts (tucked in, unless it's really big).
Only time I wear long sleeves is if I have to (ie, when wearing a suit or going out to the once/twice a year fancy night out), or in fall/winter, a long sleeve flannel (sleeves rolled up, shirt untucked) over a T shirt (tucked.)
I'm tall and wear my pants low (not THAT low) so normally untucked don't look good on me. Some shirts that just to my waist, I'll wear untucked. And if I'm casual - lounging around at home wearing sport shorts, of course I don't tuck into those.

I change as soon as I get home. At least take off my pants (and put something else on - shorts, jeans, lounge pants) depending on the plans for the evening. If the shirt is casual enough I'll continue to wear it.

Hats and hat usage have changed a lot. My son and I watched an old episode of Twilight Zone the other day, and virtually every adult male, and most adult females, either wore or had access to a hat. (And wore it appropriately). Now if people wear hats, they're generally baseball/trucker hats, goofy hats, or nice hats worn ironically. (And often in appropriately - at dinner in a restaurant, during the anthem at a baseball game, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.