Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
G Leung
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi BBG ,

I just got Roll for the Galaxy. I've played Race before so the iconography is familiar and I've poured through the rulebook, but I still have few questions about the game.

1. When performing the phases after revealing the phase strip, does the die face matter when I put them down on my tableau? For example, if I reassign an explore die to the develop phase, when I perform development do I just place the die with the explore face on my development tile (or do I have to turn it so it has an explore symbol)? I also realize that some dice colors are missing certain symbols.

2. I have developers or settlers on my tableau, and through an explore action I clear on the tiles off of my tableau (through abandonment), the rules state that I do not resolve/remove my dice until the develop phase. What if the develop phase was never selected this round? Does that mean my dice stay on the empty develop/settle spaces on my player board until the next round? (I assume you will go for explore and put some tiles down next round so you don't waste your workers on those spaces.)

Thank you for your help laugh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The die faces are only used to determine the initial column you place each die in. Do not change die faces as you reassign dice. After reassignment the die faces no longer matter only the column each die ends up in.

2. they stay there until the next develop/settle action when if there are still no tiles they get cleaned up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that you CAN always choose to pull dice from the develop/settle stacks during the "manage empire" phase at the end of each turn. So, no, they are not stuck there unless you want them to be. You can always move them to your cup.

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
Note that with the expansion dice faces do matter (for $ icons) and you should get in the habit of not changing the die face when placing dice. (Before reveal this is needed to allow other players to check you didn't misuse a reassign power even in the base game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
mark_biggar wrote:
Do not change die faces as you reassign dice.

Quoted for emphasis. There are two very good reasons for this:

1) Not all dice have all faces.
2) If you're changing the die faces then it's much much harder to change your mind about your assignment while you're waiting for the last person to finish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JazzFish wrote:

Can you mention an example of where this comes into play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
JazzFish wrote:

Can you mention an example of where this comes into play?

I've got a purple die that rolled Ship, as purple dice are wont to do. I'd prefer to use that die for developing this turn, so I use a Reassign power to move the die to Develop.

If I were in the very bad habit of turning dice to the face that matches the phase I'd be in some difficulty since purple dice don't have Develop faces.

(At least, I'm pretty sure that Develop is one of the faces that's missing from Purple. If it's not, substitute one of the missing faces for Develop.)

I could turn it to Wild but that's a terrible idea for reason #2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Leung
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone for answering; makes more sense now. Excited for my first game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.