Subject: How do you use Devastate? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Bjørndalen
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you find it best to use Devastate against the Romans? First I tried to move warbands into a region with a lot of Romans to get control and Devastate but that only set me up for a costly Battle in return. Maybe the best use of Devastate is in response the Romans. The Romans march into the same space as Vergincetorix and in response you March warbands in to regain control, Devastate, and then March everyone out.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The easiest use is when the Romans March in after you, THEN you Devastate. This can be crippling if they're low on resources. It can probably be used offensively against the other Gallic factions, but if you try to use it offensively against the Romans, you'll probably just get your head handed to you, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tin
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can legally March into region with Caesar, Devastate, then March out if you have Vercingetorix, who grants additional movement.

You can also burn the return path so that Caesar will find it much more difficult to winter.

(I have no idea what is the best move either)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Kotek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
hokuto_su wrote:
You can legally March into region with Caesar, Devastate, then March out if you have Vercingetorix, who grants additional movement.

You can also burn the return path so that Caesar will find it much more difficult to winter.

Interesting.. What is RP cost of that action? Just 1 RP per movement from original area? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tin
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just 1 resource (2 if the starting region was also devastated). Vercingetorix, and anything that moved in the same group, can move 2 regions, and you can interrupt March to perform special actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hokuto_su wrote:

Also, there is an example of this maneuver in the Playbook if you want to see how it works in action. It's on page 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob S.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hokuto_su wrote:

A useful tactic.
I also like to use Devastate in the regions bordering Provincia, to hinder movement of the Romans between it and the more northern regions. (Similar tactic as above, vs. Aedui.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One condition to consider is, how amply manned is the Roman Army with Auxilia?

If the Legions have few Auxilia protecting them, it may worth risking an Arverni battlefield defeat to starve the Auxilia--or a Legion or two if possible--away by Devastating.

Indeed, once the Legions are exposed, the Romans may not even stick around to Battle at all!

Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
If you want the Romans to attack you where you have a Citadel, it can be worth Devastating everywhere you Control that doesn't have one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.