$30.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone tried starting the game with factions not from their own home base? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Lee
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mb
For example, for a 3 player game, starting Nordic on Saxony home base, Saxony on Polania home base, and Polania start on Nordic base.

I guess it may increase the replayability of Scythe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes riverwalk bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Riverwalk is carefully calibrated to work with each faction's home area. I would strongly recommend not doing that.

Scythe already offers plenty of replayability through the random pairings of faction mats and player mats, as well as the objective and encounter cards you draw and the number of opponents you're playing against.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more I play Scythe, the more I see that everything is the way it is for a very specific reason. I have yet to see a house rule that improves the game in any way whatsoever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
The more I play Scythe, the more I see that everything is the way it is for a very specific reason. I have yet to see a house rule that improves the game in any way whatsoever.

I have seen some that might.
There is a thread discussing a way to add more combat to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Camas
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I don't see that as an improvement. In fact, it would ruin it for me. YMMV
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:
Quote:

I'd just like to see some semblance of one of the missing Xs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
You fell in a pit on the first turn. Good job!
mbmbmbmbmb
off topic, but i think if you are looking for a combat centered game there are plenty of those out there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Edwards
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
corkysru wrote:

Combat is there if you go looking for it. This change would probably serve to make combat more dangerous (and therefore a bad idea to engage in) and potentially less fair.

It seems the main thing the OP is trying to accomplish is getting to combat sooner. I wouldn't want to do this myself, but you could try starting every player with:
much higher power
more combat cards
their choice of one mech

You might also want to take away the "Max power" star and replace it with a third "win combat" star.

Ah_Pook wrote:
off topic, but i think if you are looking for a combat centered game there are plenty of those out there...

This is probably the better answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy McCann
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I did it on accident and ended up winning the game. For whatever reason, I was Crimea, but, without thinkingly, I put myself in the Saxon's home base (Yay for just looking at colors and not symbols!). I ended up crushing the other two. I'm not sure it was really the starting location that led to the win (though I'm sure it helped), so much as the other two deciding to just pound interrupt each other and leaving me alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

I have seen some that might.

I guess I don't understand why people want more combat? Trust me, I love combat in my games, as my collection of wargames and other Ameritrash games demonstrates!

But why are people wanting it so much in Scythe? Did they expect it to be a combat-heavy game? If so, why? Does the game lose something without combat? What?

I'm struggling to understand, so that I can better understand all the nuances that fuel this great hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weasel47 wrote:
corkysru wrote:

Combat is there if you go looking for it. This change would probably serve to make combat more dangerous (and therefore a bad idea to engage in) and potentially less fair.

It seems the main thing the OP is trying to accomplish is getting to combat sooner. I wouldn't want to do this myself, but you could try starting every player with:
much higher power
more combat cards
their choice of one mech

You might also want to take away the "Max power" star and replace it with a third "win combat" star.

Ah_Pook wrote:

This is probably the better answer.

You are all taking it a bit harsher than you should.

It was advertised as 4X. There is very very little eXplore. There is no eXterminate. There is merely a really expensive relocate. Which you can honestly go an entire game with out doing because it can be so punishing.

I like Scythe. It is a very good game. It is not 4x. It was claimed to be. It was expected to be. As such.. I wanted it to be.

It is not. Thankfully it is a great game so the sour taste from expectations unfulfilled is barely noticeable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Edwards
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
corkysru wrote:
You are all taking it a bit harsher than you should.

It was advertised as 4X. There is very very little eXplore. There is no eXterminate. There is merely a really expensive relocate. Which you can honestly go an entire game with out doing because it can be so punishing.

I like Scythe. It is a very good game. It is not 4x. It was claimed to be. It was expected to be. As such.. I wanted it to be.

It is not. Thankfully it is a great game so the sour taste from expectations unfulfilled is barely noticeable.

Sorry, in my mind I was lumping you in with the OP, and I don't think the OP's suggestion is the best way to get more combat into the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:
Quote:

I've not played it yet, but from what I've read of the rules I'd agree. It was never marketed as a combat-heavy game, so to try to force more combat in seems odd, to me. If you want a game like that then go and get Kemet or the new Cry Havoc. Unlike quite a few years ago, we aren't short of lots of good, very different games, so I ponder at the need to take a game and warp it away from what the designer intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad-Halfling wrote:
It was never marketed as a combat-heavy game

*cough* *cough* It was called 4x *cough* *cough*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

corkysru wrote:
Mad-Halfling wrote:

Well, there is combat in the game, but I take it not enough to fulfill the "exterminate" factor for you? I will admit though, that no one is "exterminated" in this game.

I hope someone else will help me out, because I can't find it right now, but I remember seeing either a video, or a blog post, or something, in which Jamie explains why he calls it a 4X, and justifies each of the "X"s.

I just can't remember where I saw that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buffy Leigh
Canada
flag msg tools
bgm1961 wrote:

I hope someone else will help me out, because I can't find it right now, but I remember seeing either a video, or a blog post, or something, in which Jamie explains why he calls it a 4X, and justifies each of the "X"s.

I just can't remember where I saw that.

It is in the FAQs on the Stonemaier site, though I've seen it somewhere else too: http://stonemaiergames.com/games/scythe/faq-scythe/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Weber
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
Mad-Halfling wrote:

4x doesn't have to be combat-heavy, though. Statistically speaking, if all aspects were evenly distributed, the exterminate part should be about 25%, but I think it's every designer's prerogative to emphasize different Xs as they see fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
webs1 wrote:
corkysru wrote:
Mad-Halfling wrote:

4x doesn't have to be combat-heavy, though. Statistically speaking, if all aspects were evenly distributed, the exterminate part should be about 25%, but I think it's every designer's prerogative to emphasize different Xs as they see fit.

There is NO exterminate. And very little combat. A designer can see fit to design their game any way they want. But they don't have the right to try to shoehorn it into a category it doesn't belong. It's an awesome game. 4x it is not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Weber
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
webs1 wrote:
corkysru wrote:
Mad-Halfling wrote:

There is NO exterminate. And very little combat. A designer can see fit to design their game any way they want. But they don't have the right to try to shoehorn it into a category it doesn't belong. It's an awesome game. 4x it is not.

You're right. But the discussion here was about how combat-heavy the game was, and you brought up 4x.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
webs1 wrote:
corkysru wrote:
webs1 wrote:
corkysru wrote:
Mad-Halfling wrote:

You're right. But the discussion here was about how combat-heavy the game was, and you brought up 4x.

I brought up how the designer tried to categorize the game. DO NOT try to make it sound like I did that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick, call up the 4X categorisation police. Somewhere, a crime is happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Olver
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somebody, somewhere, is re-classifying PAC-MAN as a 4.X game. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S.
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
webs1 wrote:
corkysru wrote:
Mad-Halfling wrote:

While that may be, the designer and play testers were very open about how combat wasn't a focus of the game, and could in fact be detrimental depending on your strategy. This was advertised and discussed a lot prior to, and throughout the Kickstarter. While it may not fit your, or the general definition of 4x, I'm not sure I understand why you feel you were misled. The information was all there prior to the game being made available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rebubula423 wrote:
corkysru wrote:
webs1 wrote:
corkysru wrote:
Mad-Halfling wrote:

While that may be, the designer and play testers were very open about how combat wasn't a focus of the game, and could in fact be detrimental depending on your strategy. This was advertised and discussed a lot prior to, and throughout the Kickstarter. While it may not fit your, or the general definition of 4x, I'm not sure I understand why you feel you were misled. The information was all there prior to the game being made available.

Maybe because things were claimed that were not true. I tend to view that as the definition of misleading someone. But hey.. if you want to redefine the word "mislead" so that it doesn't mean that.. go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.