Subject: Is it worth the MSRP? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering what are your thoughts on this.

The prices below are from Coolstuffinc - and yes, I know that most of them are available at much cheaper prices on the same website, but there are countries in which they do not deliver, so the MSRP is a more appropriate number for comparisons.

The MSRP for Legendary Marvel (550 cards) is $60, for Big Trouble in Little China is $50 (350 cards) and for a big box expansion for Marvel Legendary (say, Civil War) - $40 (370 cards).

What would justify the price difference between a regular big box and BTILC would be the mat and probably the costs of the new license. However, for people who have Marvel Legendary, a lot of content will consist of duplicates. We don't know yet exactly how many cards will be functional equivalents to those in Marvel, but at least 50 (the starting hands, without the Mediocre Heroes) will. For me, this is not a problem, as I do not sleeve and as I do not mind another set of starting hands. For sleevers, however, this means that they are getting at most 300 cards that they care about at a higher price than a regular big box. Is the mat worth it?

What do you think about the price? Is it too high? Is it too low? Is it just fine?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When it comes to production costs, it's not the number of cards that matter. It's the number of unique pieces of artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though they presumably function the same, the theme would feel really jarring if I had to use SHIELD troopers and agents (or the equivalent from one of the other Legendary products). So they're certainly not going to be exciting, but I do think they're essential.

Also, ten bucks for a playmat is a very reasonable price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
As to whether or not it is a fair price, I'd say that any game that you enjoy playing more than a dozen times is going to be worth $50 for me. From what has been said from the developers so far, this game has a number of significant additions/changes to the legendary game, so it is likely going to give you a bit more value than any of the Marvel expansions, which will give some basic new mechanics, but don't (typically) fundamentally change the game.

I think using the number of cards/quantity of parts to determine whether or not a game is priced right is rarely a good idea. There is so much more that goes into a game than just the number of pieces in the box, a well thought out game with plenty of replayability is far more valuable than a poor game with twice the number of cards. The fact that this is based on a film means that the costs are going to be higher, but again, if you're paying less than $5/hour to play it and enjoy it, than I don't see why you would complain about the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There are multiple things to consider though:

1) License costs. I suspect Marvel is higher than BTiLC, but that's an assumption. They could be the same actually.
2) Loss leaders. Marvel was made to sell expansions, so it makes sense to sell the base somewhat discounted in hopes of promoting future expansion sales. I doubt BTiLC will have any expansions, simply because there's not a whole lot to expand with (and when you do, you risk getting away from the license, which may or may not be allowed).
3) Art. Marvel has -decades- of art to draw upon, for reference if nothing else, whereas BTiLC does not (unless there's been a comic I haven't heard of). I mean, just look at "Christian Slater as Jack Burton" on the cover of the box.
4) Brand promotes product. BTiLC is small fry compared to Marvel, and Marvel can afford to take the "better to sell a 10000 units at $1 profit than 1000 units at $5 profit" approach. And Marvel -will- probably make more money on smaller margins than BTiLC will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
San Dee Jota wrote:
There are multiple things to consider though:

1) License costs. I suspect Marvel is higher than BTiLC, but that's an assumption. They could be the same actually.
2) Loss leaders. Marvel was made to sell expansions, so it makes sense to sell the base somewhat discounted in hopes of promoting future expansion sales. I doubt BTiLC will have any expansions, simply because there's not a whole lot to expand with (and when you do, you risk getting away from the license, which may or may not be allowed).
3) Art. Marvel has -decades- of art to draw upon, for reference if nothing else, whereas BTiLC does not (unless there's been a comic I haven't heard of). I mean, just look at "Christian Slater as Jack Burton" on the cover of the box.
4) Brand promotes product. BTiLC is small fry compared to Marvel, and Marvel can afford to take the "better to sell a 10000 units at $1 profit than 1000 units at $5 profit" approach. And Marvel -will- probably make more money on smaller margins than BTiLC will.

Scale is a good point. I have to think they would print a lot more copies of Marvel than Big Trouble

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I do not see people as excited about this as they are about any Legendary marvel release. Even a small box expansion leads to more speculation and discussions than this whole set

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
Yeah, I do not see people as excited about this as they are about any Legendary marvel release. Even a small box expansion leads to more speculation and discussions than this whole set

I agree, as much as I like the movie I can't say playing it in the Legendary mechanic excites me all that much. Frankly I'm surprised they didn't go with (or maybe we're unable to afford) a license for The Thing.

I know license costs are a great factor but how much did they pay for Alien and how long did they wait to print an expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W O
msg tools
AdelinDumitru wrote:

Definitely an amazing game. Worth the price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel James
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are hoping to play solo I'd say that the game is NOT worth buying. The rules pdf states that this game doesn't have official solo rules, if this isn't an issue and you like/love BTILC then buy away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.