$30.00
$15.00
$20.00
$5.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » General

Subject: Just 252 cards??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since deckbuilding games are usually all about the cards, why does this game include only 252 cards? I don't see room for diversity or replayability here...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We are Steve. We are Legion.
United States
Scotia
New York
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I know where you live, and I've seen where you sleep. I swear to everything holy that your mothers will CRY when they see what I've done to you.
badge
Oh, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression.
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect it's going to come down to: 1) how many of each card type is repeated and 2) how many of these cards are going to be in play/possible to acquire in a given game.

Figure that even with base Dominion having 500 cards, you aren't even really using half of those to play the game, and really only having 10 different sorts of cards to purchase each game.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
Also hand size and deck size have a large impact on number of cards required for a game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, but there are also just 4 playable characters. This, coupled with the limited pool of cards, might have a negative impact on replayability (of course, I might be blatantly wrong, since we know so little about the game right now).

I'd love to be wrong, since I want so much a Harry Potter game!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Buchanan
msg tools
Being what is ultimately a child-focused license, I have no problem with fewer cards. I think that helps the younger ones catch on a bit faster
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Brown
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NinjaGigolo wrote:
Being what is ultimately a child-focused license, I have no problem with fewer cards. I think that helps the younger ones catch on a bit faster


Huh? Harry Potter movies started coming out a decade and a half ago. Is this game really aimed at kids? Even if you were 5 when that first movie came out, you are now 20.

As for the topic of this thread: 250 cards is a lot for most games. It depends on how they are used.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
The count sounds about right, I'd be more worried about the fact that they will be split between 7 scenarios. Unless the new scenarios build on the old ones.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also a possibility that those 7 mysterious game boxes add more cards to the mix. Or am I too optimistic?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
There's also a possibility that those 7 mysterious game boxes add more cards to the mix. Or am I too optimistic?


i saw this too. perhaps each one is its own game that adds on to the previous one? new characters and such.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms is IMHO the best deckbuilder out there (and in the top 100). It has 128 cards, and only 80 cards in the central deck to buy (and those are not all unique).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
How will your marriage grow today?
badge
How will your marriage grow today?
mbmbmbmbmb
There may be a lot of replayability...there may not be so much.

Until we really know, I won't be blindly purchasing this one, even with the Potter theme (though I'm sure some will). I want to see / read reviews. And a lot of them before I decide to spend my hard earned $.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Book of Madness has 219 cards that go in the deck and a total of 56 spell cards, yet I don't hear any complaints about there not being enough cards in that game. Big box sets of Ascension have around 200 cards each in them, and how many people still play that game six years later? (Hint: the base game still sells copies.) The core set for the Lord of the Rings LCG is only 128. By the time you add in some expansions, you've got a lot of replay value by the time you get up to 250 cards. And how highly ranked is that game? So, is the issue the card count, or is it something else?

Oh, wait, I found the problem! If you look at the OP's profile, he has rated only one deck builder, Legendary, which clocks in at over 500 cards. Sorry buddy, but not every deck builder has to be like Legendary to be good, nor is it even remotely valid to extrapolate an assumption about how good or bad a game with 250 cards will be when your sample size is ZERO.

P.S. You own Seasons and give a ten ranking! How many cards does that game have?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, does it seem to you that Seasons is a deckbuilding game?
I've played Star Realms and I do not like it. It's not because of the number of cards, granted. Haven't played the others. I haven't bought many other deckbuilding games especially because they were too expensive for what they had in the box, so yeah, the number of cards is important.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Big Book of Madness has 219 cards that go in the deck and a total of 56 spell cards, yet I don't hear any complaints about there not being enough cards in that game. Big box sets of Ascension have around 200 cards each in them, and how many people still play that game six years later? (Hint: the base game still sells copies.) The core set for the Lord of the Rings LCG is only 128. By the time you add in some expansions, you've got a lot of replay value by the time you get up to 250 cards. And how highly ranked is that game? So, is the issue the card count, or is it something else?

Oh, wait, I found the problem! If you look at the OP's profile, he has rated only one deck builder, Legendary, which clocks in at over 500 cards. Sorry buddy, but not every deck builder has to be like Legendary to be good, nor is it even remotely valid to extrapolate an assumption about how good or bad a game with 250 cards will be when your sample size is ZERO.

P.S. You own Seasons and give a ten ranking! How many cards does that game have?


...soapbox much?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron and Stephanie Richardson
United States
Lake St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played Seasons, yet. My family and I do play a of deck building games, though (played Ascension Dreamscapejust last night even).

Honestly, 252 cards sounds about right for a deckbuilding game. 10 per player for a starting deck x 4 players = 40 cards. That's 160 other cards to tell 7 stories. You can totally do that.

Remember, too, this is a cooperative game. You are trying to work together to beat a bad guy or some such it seems. So, you may only need cards from suit A to defeat the villain in one game, but need suits B, C, and D to get past the 2nd mission.

The variance usually comes from the need of use or current situation in mission based games, I think.

who knows, maybe those 7 mysterious boxes are all different games using the same components and base game structure. Maybe box 1 is game 1 that teaches you the basics. Then, Box 2 adds a new resources to worry about. Box 3 adds area control of some kind to the game. Box 4 adds an emphasis on one of the base traits but makes it harder to get... etc.,

I am looking for to it. If nothing else, like the Adventure Card Games of late, it would be nice to play all the stories once to get the full "story" of the game.

Fear not the card count. Just fear the Dementors and the mechanics they'll have to ruin your hand.
2 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonderful response, Aaron and Stephanie!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NocturnalAllen wrote:
NinjaGigolo wrote:
Being what is ultimately a child-focused license, I have no problem with fewer cards. I think that helps the younger ones catch on a bit faster


Huh? Harry Potter movies started coming out a decade and a half ago. Is this game really aimed at kids? Even if you were 5 when that first movie came out, you are now 20.

.


By this logic, Sesame Street games should be aimed at grandparents.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
252 cards is no problem. But three different sizes of cards? Bruh. The sleeves, bruh.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
Star Realms is IMHO the best deckbuilder out there (and in the top 100). It has 128 cards, and only 80 cards in the central deck to buy (and those are not all unique).


I'm still tryign to figure this one out since you can see who is going to win the game by turn 2 or 3 Max. It's just not that original and is deeply flawed.

This one looks about as basic as it gets and is relying on its license to turn a profit.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Johansen
msg tools
Actually, this game is nearly flawless. Its rules are elegant and sensible, the atmosphere is fantastic, the challenge is scalable and at times heart-pounding, the replay value is very high, the czar factor is virtually nil (meaning one person doesn't direct everyone), and, most importantly, the fun factor is stratospheric.

The DC games are by far the top-selling deckbuilders, and they're around 220 cards each.

Oh, and you have absolutely no idea who's going to win by even turn 15. Meaning, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I actually own the game, one of only 200 people on Earth who do, right now. After six games logged, we've come back to win at the end on three of them, with both two and four players.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RulesGuru wrote:
Actually, this game is nearly flawless. Its rules are elegant and sensible, the atmosphere is fantastic, the challenge is scalable and at times heart-pounding, the replay value is very high, the czar factor is virtually nil (meaning one person doesn't direct everyone), and, most importantly, the fun factor is stratospheric.

The DC games are by far the top-selling deckbuilders, and they're around 220 cards each.

Oh, and you have absolutely no idea who's going to win by even turn 15. Meaning, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I actually own the game, one of only 200 people on Earth who do, right now. After six games logged, we've come back to win at the end on three of them, with both two and four players.


I think the above comment about knowing who was going to win after the first few turns was directed at Star Realms, not HPDBG.

Also, I admit I do not have actual sales numbers in front of me so I could be completely wrong, but I would seriously question whether or not the DCDBG is the top-selling deck-builder out there. Dominion and Marvel Legendary both make a TON of money and are more popular than the DC game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilly Berto
United States
flag msg tools
There is no way on earth the DC deck builders have outsold Dominion and its legions of expansions. Just on this site alone Dominion has over 63,000 people who have marked the base game as owned vs just over 5000 for DC. Dominion and expansions have reported sales of over 2.5 million copies world wide. If you are going to tell someone else they have no idea what they are talking about, you could at least have an idea of what you are talking about.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Johansen
msg tools
I suppose that's a fair point, to an extent. If you're going back in history to the dawn of deckbuilders, then yes, Dominion has sold more. But I have a number of friends in the industry and who manage/own stores, and they all tell me that Dominion only sells nowadays if they run a promo sale on it, while DC won't stay on their shelves. I like them both, so there's no bias. I'm just telling you what I'm told by folks who make a living in retail.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played this 3 times now. Just finished Game 3 last night. It gets progressively harder but you also get more abilities and better cards.

Early on we had some 'uh oh' moments but came through to win. Also when villain's turn up we had a stroke of luck the Dementor didn't turn up early on. That might have changed the game quite a bit.

At first, I thought the lack of cards was weak but the deck is starting to get deeper and I think it's pretty balanced.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.