Popular Tags: [View All]
sean brown

Colorado
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Everyone,

We are super excited that our Kickstarter funded, and we unlocked some Stretch Goals along the way!

We wanted to do a poll to try to get a feel for which way we should do the final production, since the goals alter the game a little bit and we had 1 goal that did not unlock. See the newest update for full details!

Here is the Poll:

Poll
We unlocked wood bits for our Cultists, Leaders, and Monsters. We had another goal to etch the dice and print on the wood bits but it was not able to be unlocked. We decided to unlock the etched dice part after funding as a thank you to backers. We have some folks who want us to include the old standees that we upgraded to wood (since we did not unlock the printed meeples) but we do not have the funds to do that, all the wood, and etch the dice.
What should we do?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
A. Continue as planned (Wood Cultists, Leaders and Monsters with Etched Dice but no standees and no printing on the meeples).
58.7% 88
B. Keep the Wood Cultists, but not make the Leaders and Monsters Wood -(keep them as Standees and alter our Wood Upgrade Stretch Goals slightly) while keeping the Etched Dice.
25.3% 38
C. Keep all the Wood Upgrade Stretch Goals, AND include Standees but not the Etched Dice.
16.0% 24
Voters 150
This poll is now closed.   150 answers
Poll created by onekccs
Closes: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackie Pettipas
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Personally I wish there was an option D. - Not make the cultists, leaders and monsters wood (keep all three of them as Standees) while keeping the Etched Dice.

I really didn't like the wood meeple at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Gozzi
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
The truth is still out there...
badge
Ïa! Ïa! Cthulhu fthagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fthagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very unfortunate that you ran with problems with certain backers

But it's also not the other backers fault either
So they do not have to be penalized for this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Gybels
Belgium
Snaaskerke
België
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted out of necessity. But I'd much rather just have the print on the wood as an add-on where we could choose whether we'd want those or not. I'm guessing a lot of people would pay something extra for it when you send out the KS-survey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AnDrew Guerrilla
Ukraine
Kiev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sithtar wrote:
Personally I wish there was an option D. - Not make the cultists, leaders and monsters wood (keep all three of them as Standees) while keeping the Etched Dice.

I really didn't like the wood meeple at all.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donovan K. Loucks
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An additional option is to create a PDF of the designs for the printed meeples so anyone who wants to pimp out their wooden meeples can do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Jane Walker
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Agreed, I would pay more for the option of printed wood.
I prefer the artwork on the standees over the plain wood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Beggs
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
robotMy two cents: Etched dice are much more durable than stickered dice and people can decorate wooden meeples any way they want. They can always offer stickers through the board game geek store to put on the different styles of meeples. You can't do anything to improve cardboard stand ins.zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Mcilroy
United States
Hanford
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
D: Printed meeples as an add on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Janiec
United States
(Teller County)
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Personally I would have made the etched dice the first stretch goal, but that's water under the bridge! I like the wooden Monsters, but am indifferent to the wooden Leaders and Cultists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bjerregaard Bergh
Denmark
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
All wooden Meeple or no meeples! A partial solution does not look like a complete product. Same with the dice, looks really cheap with sticker dice.

I prefer All wooden meeples and etched dice, no print on the meepels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fuzzy Lumkin

Oregon
msg tools
I also agree, I really don't like any of the options. I definitely want to see the etched dice but the meeples are just completely generic and bland, I would rather have printed standees that look unique then a wooden silhouette meeple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't particularly care about etched vs stickered, provided the images don't rub off (glossy plastic coated stickers don't usually). I'm not even that particular with meeples vs standees.

But I feel like mixing wood meeples and standees would be silly, especially if they're generic people meeples vs the more unique creature meeples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
I voted for option C.

But I'd suggest to go with what was promised in the Kickstarter. May lead to trouble otherwise because of disappointed backers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michela & Dario Basile
Italy
Firenze
Firenze
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We agree with the people who want all wooden meeples and etched dice: the result will simply be a more polished and refined look - this is a no brainer:

Resin / Plastic / Wood > Cardboard
Etched Dice > Printed Dice > Sticker Dice

If it doesn't take a lot of money, as someone already suggested, you could adapt the standees' graphics to fit the wooden meeples, and publish stickers through print-and-play and/or aftermarket. If this additional work adds too much to production costs, just make the graphics you already have available as a download, and let the community work on it to make meeple-fit stickers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave the Quiet
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
DEFINITELY the etched dice.

Stickered meeples (like in the anniversary edition of Dungeon Lords) look awesome, and I'm totally down with cutting out the stickers myself to put on the meeples. Please either put out a pdf of the images that we can print, or make the images available for other people to do the formatting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Dillard
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as all the others whining about not having the perfect option frustrates me. I voted A. I figure stickers or a pdf can me made available somehow for us to apply ourselves. Someone mentioned etched dice being more durable, so those are desired for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bvttero wrote:
We agree with the people who want all wooden meeples and etched dice: the result will simply be a more polished and refined look - this is a no brainer:

Resin / Plastic / Wood > Cardboard
Etched Dice > Printed Dice > Sticker Dice

If it doesn't take a lot of money, as someone already suggested, you could adapt the standees' graphics to fit the wooden meeples, and publish stickers through print-and-play and/or aftermarket. If this additional work adds too much to production costs, just make the graphics you already have available as a download, and let the community work on it to make meeple-fit stickers.

It might be a no-brainer to you, but I don't agree with your classification. I would go:
Resin / plastic / cardboard / wood

I agree on the dice, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I agree with you whole heartedly Jackie!!!! Make them all standees. The art was better anyways. A wooden block loses all of the good art work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Ward
msg tools
mb
The best option would be option (D):

Scrap the wood meeples in favor of the standees and etched dice. The design of the wood meeples is pretty worthless if they aren't going to be printed on, whereas the art of the standees is quite nice. Obviously having the wood meeples with the printed art would be awesome, but without the print, the wood meeples look quite odd. I feel that you should open up your poll to include this option. Many, many other backers feel the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fortier
Canada
flag msg tools
Could you make the printing on the meeples as a PDF so wee could print them and stick them to the wood bits?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all your comments on this - I love that you are so passionate about it. And thanks for voting, it's really something to see so many having an interest in "my" game.

I just want to add one thing about the wooden ctheeples. No, two things, really.

First of all not having print on them means we can make for more dynamic poses. We don't have anything final from the artist yet (also because we wanted to do this poll first, obviously), but the sketches he's made look really cool, I think.

Secondly I personally feel like meeples is a perfect fit for this game. It is very ameritrashy, but it has a slight euro tone in that it uses worker placement (or something like it) and area control at its core.

cheers
mads

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Munk
Denmark
flag msg tools
I reckon - would vote D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Chevy Chase
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amorphous wooden components and meeples are very unthematic -- if you could at least make the art available as a download, as people have mentioned, it would make a big difference, since the people who care could print them out on sticker paper and solve that issue.

I had the deluxe version of Above and Below but the deluxe wooden resources, unpainted, looked nothing like what they were supposed to represent. As a result, they were worse than the cardboard chits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Namit Kaura
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also prefer etched dice and no meeples (standees for everything)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.