Subject: Wishlist: Legendary: Harry Potter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Legendary: Harry potter is an idea I had for a while, but only now I got some spare time to elaborate. Spoilers ahead, read at your own risk..

Masterminds:
Voldemort, always leading the Death Eaters
Hungarian Horntail, leading Dragons
Grindelwald, leading Dark Wizards
Aragog, leading Acromantula

Villain groups:
Death Eaters - Bellatrix Lestrange, Lucius Malfoy, Macnair, Nott, Dolohov, Yaxley, Alecto Carrow, Amycus Carrow
Dragons - Chinese Fireball, Common Welsh Green, Norwegian Ridgeback, Swedish Short-Snout
Monsters - Basilisk, Fenrir Greyback, Troll, Fluffy
Horcruxes - Tom Riddle's Diary, Gaunt's Ring, Slytherin's Locket, Hupplepuff's Cup, Ravenclaw's Diadem, Nagini,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Harry Potter
(2 copies)
Government villains - Dolores Umbridge, Albert Runcorn, Pius Thicknesse, Cornelius Fudge

Henchmen villain groups:
Dark Wizards
Acromantula
Dementors
Snatchers
Giants

Heroes: (had to cut down on them...personal preferences below):
Harry Potter
Hermione Granger
Neville Longbottom
Ron Weasley
Albus Dumbledore
Sirius Black
Remus Lupin
Nymphadora Tonks
Ginny Weasley
Molly /Arthur Weasley (Divided card)
Bill/Fleur Weasley (Divided card)
Fred/George Weasley (Divided card)
Minerva McGonagall
Luna Lovegood
Alastor "Mad Eye" Moody
Rubeus Hagrid

Instead of S.H.I.E.L.D. Officers, there should be a stack of "Hogwards Staff", that would include professor Binns, Horace Slughorn, Pomona Sprout, Rolanda Hooch, Sybill Trelawney, professor Vector, Filius Flitwick, Grubbly-Plank, professor Sinistra, Firenze. Each of them will give you different bonuses, and there would be 2 copies of each one. The stack would be shuffled and placed face-down.

Instead of Bystanders, there would be a stack of "Hogwarts Students", that would feature well-known characters from the series. There would be regular Students, and special Students (with their name on the cards), that give you some benefits when you rescue them.

There would also have to be two distinct stacks: one of Magical Items that help the Heroes, and one of Magical Items that help the Villains. For instance, in the stack for Heroes, you'd have Firebolt, Erised's Mirror, the Deluminator, etc., whereas in the Magical Items that help the Villains you'd have Gloria's Hand, some cursed objects, etc.

There would also be the Deathly Hallows, which are going to be used only under certain schemes (have not figured out yet how to use them).

Last but not least, Villains and Heroes could use spells. Heroes could use spells from a special Spell stack, whereas Villains would activate Spells whenever a Strike occurs or when a card effects tells you to do so. Besides this regular stack, there would be a stack of Unforgivable Curses (in which one could add, besides the regular 3, Sectumsempra) - mainly used by the Villains, but Heroes could use these too at a cost. For instance, you could always take a card from the Unforgivable Curses stack, but you'd have to sacrifice non-grey heroes and so on.

Instead of Wounds there would be Hexes, and you could cure these only by recruiting certain Potions, which are a separate stack (there would also be different Potions, which would give you different effects. for instance, the Polyjuice would allow you to copy the effects of a card from the HQ, while when you use Felix Felicis you don't draw a card from the villain deck next turn).

Starting hands would be made from 8 generic Spells (for recruit) and 4 generic Curses (for attack).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's already a thread on here discussing the idea of Legendary: Harry Potter, although I do like some of your ideas better than what is featured in that thread.

I think with the upcoming release of the official HP deckbuilding game (that actually looks like a legitimate game rather than a crappy moneygrab using a fantastic IP), my hunger for actual HP goodness will be somewhat alleviated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgot about that thread (I looked it up now and apparently I even replied there blush ).

I'm also looking forward to the HP deckbuilding game! The previews look fine, and the idea of having unique characters is good, but I am worried about replayability (with just 4 playable characters and with just 252 cards in the box). The Legendary system would work much better (with some changes, i.e. the introduction of new stacks) with Harry Potter, though..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Example of how the Spell stack would work: all cards would be face up, but you can recruit only the top card of the Spell stack. Certain hero cards would be able to go through the Spell stack and arrange it. For instance, let's assume that one of professor Trelawney's cards sounds like this: "Reveal the top 3 cards of the Spell stack. Put them back in any order".
Spells could be like this: "Episkey - heal one Hex" ; Petrificus Totalus - "Don't draw a card from the villain deck next turn", etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree Legendary would be a good overall engine for the IP. It is incredibly flexible in that it can have minor tweaks to fit virtually anything.

That being said, I do like the fact that the HP DBG sort of features a pseudo built-in campaign system for each of the books. There's not really a way to do that in the Legendary system, short of having a separate 14 card deck per Hero per book (so seven Harry Potters, seven Ron Weasleys, etc etc).

Do we know yet if the 252 card count is for each book or for the whole shebang?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the components list it is mentioned that there are 252 cards and 7 game boxes. If we are lucky, those 7 game boxes will contain cards and other components separate from those 252 mentioned in the solicit, but there's nothing certain at the moment..I raised the problem on that game's page and hopefully one of the designers will shed some light on the total card count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misfiring Chong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Posted this here a long time ago, but then my focus at the time is on Spell Stack only. Your Magic Item and Potion stacks could definitely use the same mechanic although Potions should be one time use like Sidekicks.

Your ideas about Hogwarts Staff and Hogwarts Students is nice, but overall you're introducing 5 new, separate stacks of cards on the board, which combined with standard stacks is a lot of cards. I think the Spells and Magic Item stacks do not need to be separated for villians, you just have to mark certain dark magic/items as "Usable by Villians only", if players draw them they just need to draw again.

Deathly Hallow is definitely interesting, but then it won't make sense putting them in Magic Item stack because they're not suppose to be obtainable by normal means. I think it makes most sense to tied them into certain Mastermind/Schemes as special mechanics. Grindelwald could have his Master Strike involving the Elder Wand, and players need to remove it from his grasps in order to damage him, for example. Resurrection Stone could be made into a scheme, and Invisibility Cloak can be made into special Magic Item like special sidekicks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.