United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You miss something like "more than 5 times a week".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Thiess
United States
Suisun City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where I am there are regular meetups during the week and a monthly game day that is on a weekend day. I haven't been able to make it to anything in a while just due to life being otherwise busy.

Currently I play very sporadically. I can get some lunchtime games in at work (usually Cribbage), and sometimes my wife and I can get a game in during the evening after my kids are in bed.

The weekday meetups are tough for me right now because to get there when they start I'd have to get home, eat dinner fairly quickly, and then turn around and leave again. It also means I'd be losing out on time with my daughters (and it already sucks not seeing them all day while I'm at work).

I could wait till after they're in bed and then go out, but by then I'm usually too tired to want to go out again, and I might get two hours tops, including driving time, before I'm ready for bed. And I'd have to hope there are people available or finishing up a game when I get there that I can play with or it might be a wasted trip.

Weekends do usually have other family obligations or other kinds of events with friends (kid's birthday parties, etc). And going to a meetup on a weekend also means losing out on time with my daughters.

I haven't in a while, but in the past have been able to set up the occasional meetup at my house for a few people to come over and play games and that usually works better for me. It just can be difficult to set up as it usually needs to be done far in advance as many of my friends have similar obligations.

It's tough to find a good balance of being able to participate in my hobbies and also being around to spend time with my kids, especially since I already miss so much time with them due to work. Luckily my oldest (she'll be 6 in November) can play some games and will just keep being able to play more and more as she gets older. So playing with her can combine this hobby with spending time with my kids, so that's awesome.

EDIT: Forget to mention that a great deal of my gaming right now is on BGA, Yucata, or BoiteAJeux. Can just log on, take my turn on my games and be done. Not as good as playing in real life, but still better than not playing at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am off during the summers, my play group are mostly retired guys so I have a very healthy board game schedule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I'm in 3 groups I play much more often. 2x/wk seems to be ok to keep my marriage in tact as long as I also play when her friends need an extra player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the reason you'll find most meetups are scheduled during the week is because it is much easier to get people to commit to a regular weeknight instead of a weekend when other life events might sporadically take precedence.

Personally, I play multiple times during the week. I have two groups that meet regularly. My main group meets every Monday and every other Friday, my other group meets the complimentary every other Friday. My FLGS has a game night on Wednesdays that I will usually go to as well, but no one will care if I decide just before that I don't feel like it. During the weekends I don't like to explicitly plan things because I prefer the lower stress that deliberately not planning affords. I still usually end up hanging around my FLGS looking for games, but again, I'm not beholden to anyone to be there for any set amount of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing that keeps me from going to weeknight meetups is that they start so early, like 5:30 or 6 o'clock (Central). They're basically scheduled for single dudes, and guys with no young kids at home whose spouses don't mind being ditched a couple of nights a week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
dpbush wrote:
The thing that keeps me from going to weeknight meetups is that they start so early, like 5:30 or 6 o'clock (Central). They're basically scheduled for single dudes, and guys with no young kids at home whose spouses don't mind being ditched a couple of nights a week.

alternately theyre scheduled for people who work M-F jobs and can't be out late during the week?

anyway, typically my wife and I will play some games during the week whenever we both have the energy after work and are in the mood, plus typically we will play some larger stuff on the weekends. we have a pretty regular thing going with a couple other people Saturday afternoons also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer weekends, either to host or to go. Easier to fit in the schedule, can get in more gaming and socializing.
I'm in a couple groups that meet on Wednesdays and sometimes they're tough to get to. They start late enough that work and getting there usually aren't an issue, but it ends up being a late day.
I used to go to one that was Thursdays from 6-9 right near my office, at a place that sold dinner cheaply, so that was nice, but they don't meet anymore.

If I want to ensure something will happen I set up a game night at my house on a Saturday, but that's most of a day, between cleaning, prep and the event itself.

I don't get a lot of (non-solo) gaming on weekdays unless it's at an event.

My son's not a big gamer, and he's with me only half the time, so I am very resistant to go off to a game night when I could be spending time with him. I do get him to play a game maybe a couple nights a week, something he likes like Garbage Day, Tumblin Dice, or the Adventure Time card games, so that's good.

My girlfriend has gotten more into games, and our tastes generally align, so we can usually get in a game of Pandemic Legacy or Lords of Waterdeep or something similar during a weekend, and she goes to cons with me (though for less time than I go - her capacity is understandably less than me), so that's a pretty awesome thing to share.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
I answered weekend. I play games on Sunday & Monday, but those are my weekends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Broadstorm wrote:
I answered weekend. I play games on Sunday & Monday, but those are my weekends.

Similarly I said weekends but I play on Friday evening which is the beginning of my weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.