Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I see from the poll that this is recommended with two. However, are there any failings or issues I should be aware of at this player count?

I'm in need of a new two player euro, and deciding between this and Caverna. Caverna has wide open possibility spaces, but seems a bit clunky to set-up. Russian Railroads comes highly recommended, but I know little more than this.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Without the expansion, I consider Russian Railroads to exclusively be a 2 or 4 player game. Between the two, I think 2-player works well, but 4 is a bit more interesting. That said, I think I played it over twenty times 2 player when it was initially released.

OTOH, I dislike Caverna with only 2 players. It's way to wide open. Players can pursue their own strategies (i.e., combo of good buildings) without fear. My personal suggestion if you get Caverna is if you play it with only 2, flip the building mat to the side with fewer buildings and then randomly decide which buildings to include.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Paul
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RRR works well with 2p. I find it very cutthroat with only 2 players.

I don't like Caverna, while I like RRR a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Spiegel
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love RR at 2p. I think it works great and it plays quick. We can break out a 2p game in an hour or less.

Caverna with 2p is great but I would suggest Fields of Arle as a better 2p alternative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ecspiegel wrote:
I love RR at 2p. I think it works great and it plays quick. We can break out a 2p game in an hour or less.

Caverna with 2p is great but I would suggest Fields of Arle as a better 2p alternative.

Fields is actually my first choice, but it appears out of print at the moment. Z-Man is notorious for their slow delivery on future print runs, so for the time being I'm considering the title lost to time.

($80 copies on Amazon).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree with Jimmy re: RR. Works very well with 2, better with 4. I would not play it with 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Knechtskern
Germany
Groebenzell
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Why not play with 3? I think it scales neraly perfect, due to the fact that 3 player games are one round shorter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KlausKnechtskern wrote:
Why not play with 3? I think it scales neraly perfect, due to the fact that 3 player games are one round shorter

The issue is that without the expansion, there are two strategies that are most effective. With 2, each tries one of them. With 4, you get two people trying each. But with 3, whichever player is by himself has a big advantage. I haven't played with the expansion enough to say, but my hope is that it fixes this problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Auer
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think RRR is an excellent two player game. It scales actually rather well in comparison to other games.

I can also recommend the expansion, which includes some solo rules. That's quite helpful to get yourself familiar with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Knechtskern
Germany
Groebenzell
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Butterfly0038 wrote:

The issue is that without the expansion, there are two strategies that are most effective. With 2, each tries one of them. With 4, you get two people trying each. But with 3, whichever player is by himself has a big advantage. I haven't played with the expansion enough to say, but my hope is that it fixes this problem.

I don´t think that there are only two prevalent strategies; however there are strategies which are to play way easier with more room for error than others. Sure Wladiwostok is strong but not overpowered in my impression
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KlausKnechtskern wrote:
Butterfly0038 wrote:

I don´t think that there are only two prevalent strategies; however there are strategies which are to play way easier with more room for error than others. Sure Wladiwostok is strong but not overpowered in my impression

just to avoid turning this into a strategy thread, I put my response in spoiler...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I don't think Vladivostok is overpowered but I think Vladivostok and Kiev+Industry are both stronger than St. Pete plus anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And the expansion just takes whatever you've learned so far and throws it out of the window! I wholeheartedly would recommend both the base game and the two expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
mauer wrote:
I can also recommend the expansion, which includes some solo rules. That's quite helpful to get yourself familiar with the game.

If you don't have the expansion to try solo play, you can also use the simple and free web application (thread) I wrote some time ago. It plays Emil of the official solo variant from the expansion. The solo variant actually feels pretty much like a 2 player game except of the turn order selection. In general I can recommend RRR as a 2 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignoring the expansions for a moment, do play sessions start to feel a bit self similar after a short spell? I've watched the Rahdo playthrough in bits and pieces over the years, and have often been worried about his repeated references to formulaic "best actions" at points (though even he admits these points exist in only a microcosm of the design space, generally at the start of a round).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Spiegel
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Ignoring the expansions for a moment, do play sessions start to feel a bit self similar after a short spell? I've watched the Rahdo playthrough in bits and pieces over the years, and have often been worried about his repeated references to formulaic "best actions" at points (though even he admits these points exist in only a microcosm of the design space, generally at the start of a round).

The game didn't start to feel repetitive or "samey" to me until around the 10th play or so. At that point I got the expansion and it made the replay value increase a lot and reduced that repetitive feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:

Depends on your definition of short spell. I would say 10-15 plays. Very engaging 10-15 plays.

Not everyone agrees and sees more richness to the title than I do. I might be missing something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrii Krokhmalnyi
Ukraine
Lviv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For sure! I played it only with 2 players. And it is one of best games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian B.
Denmark
Frederiksberg C
flag msg tools
I don't design games, I play them!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to chime in; I agree with everybody else in saying that the 2p game is great! I've played it as a 2p game 7 times, and each of them have been great experiences and lasting less than an hour (one day, we played three times in a row in 1.5 hours...!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.