Subject: using skills when exerting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john Parkinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
The rules seem to not be clear.

Can one when trained all 3 skills cards, then want to exert can you use (discard) one of your trained skills to exert. In the rules it says one cannot dicard trained skills?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slingshot1100 wrote:
The rules seem to not be clear.

Can one when trained all 3 skills cards, then want to exert can you use (discard) one of your trained skills to exert. In the rules it says one cannot dicard trained skills?

In what way do the rules appear to lack clarity? If the rules say what I put in bold (your words), then what in the game implies to you that you can discard a trained skill? Or is the question "what constitutes a trained skill?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john Parkinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Because in one paragraph its says discard a skills card to exert, then in another its says, one cannot discards skill cards (trained) unless one trains another then reduces cards down to the allowed max.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john Parkinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
ok i will put it another way.

when one has learned 3 skill cards so all are face up, does it then mean one can never exert because one cannot dicard the leaned skill cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slingshot1100 wrote:

when one has learned 3 skill cards so all are face up, does it then mean one can never exert because one cannot dicard the leaned skill cards?

You can only discard untrained skills, i.e. those skills you have in your hand and are not benefiting your character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
slingshot1100 wrote:

What you missed is that you have a hand of skill cards, that you draw at the start of the game and when using the Train action.

When you spend collected trophies to learn a skill, it is placed on the table and you gain its effect.

When discarding skill cards to exert, your learned skills on the table are not able to be discarded to pay for the exertion.

However, if you ever learn a new skill of the same type (Mind, Body, or Spirit) and you have MORE than your maximum number of allowed learned skills of that type, you must discard down to your maximum number (potentially modified by other skills or items). This still does not affect exerting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john Parkinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
ah thats clear thank you. I like to exert a lot so im not sure that training to many skills is that good, I LIKE TO KEEP MY HAND OPEN SO I CAN EXERT

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that "learned" skills cannot be used for exerting. Only the skill cards you have in your hand (unlearned) are used when you exert. If you are out of skill cards in your hand then you can "train" which allows you to draw a number of skill cards equal to your characters hand size.

Also, you can never have more "learned" skill cards than your characters matching attribute (mind,body,spirit) values. If you want to learn more than your value, you learn a new one and then discard one you already had.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Edited: Sorry I was slow to post this reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
slingshot1100 wrote:
ah thats clear thank you. I like to exert a lot so im not sure that training to many skills is that good, I LIKE TO KEEP MY HAND OPEN SO I CAN EXERT

Thanks

Well, not all characters have good exert abilities to start. Sometimes you need to find a skill to learn that gives you such a useful ability!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john Parkinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
ops i have just spotted something more, are you now saying say i have a hand limit of 3 and i train and learn those 3 i then can draw more non learnt skills and and hold them as unlearnt for exerting when i want.

so effectively i could have 3 learned skills and then also 3 more unlearn as exerts cards if i need them is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
slingshot1100 wrote:
ops i have just spotted something more, are you now saying say i have a hand limit of 3 and i train and learn those 3 i then can draw more non learnt skills and and hold them as unlearnt for exerting when i want.

so effectively i could have 3 learned skills and then also 3 more unlearn as exerts cards if i need them is that correct?

Your learned skills and hand of skill cards are not related to one another. Neither's maximum allowance of cards is affected by the other.

If your character sheet says you can have up to 3 cards in your hand, then that is the case, regardless of how many skills you've learned. Likewise, you can have learned skills up to the maximum of the Red/Blue/Yellow colored numbers on your character sheet.

You can Train to draw cards equal to your maximum (3, in the example) into your hand. Then you discard down to your maximum (3), so that you never have 4 or more (for that character).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john Parkinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for all your help.

can i use a final example to check i understand it all.

Using Lyssa i could learn and hold 2 skills for each of her attributes total 6 learned skills, and also have up to 3 unlearned cards for exerting, is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Finland
flag msg tools
slingshot1100 wrote:
Thanks for all your help.

can i use a final example to check i understand it all.

Using Lyssa i could learn and hold 2 skills for each of her attributes total 6 learned skills, and also have up to 3 unlearned cards for exerting, is this correct?

Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john Parkinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
top man thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.