Subject: Furniture rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Best
United States
Brandon
FL
flag msg tools
Anyone getting the furniture? I'm torn. I kind of just want to get the basic set but I'm not sure if it's worth it or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took basic set, but the addon and the big pack are just too expensive..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Furniture seems an overkill in comparison with the rest and it costs like insane. I found cards more thematic, leaving more to imagination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to mix metal and plastic. why don't they have a plastic option?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Squire
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The furniture miniatures are resin, not metal, but also not plastic.

Are the cards that come with the furniture add-ons different to the cards in the core box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the furniture actually hinders gameplay as it would cover some of the rule text. So pass for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
I don't want to mix metal and plastic. why don't they have a plastic option?

Because the starting cost of a new resin model is relatively low (but the cost of each subsequent copy made is almost the same as for the first copy), whereas the starting cost of a new plastic model is huge (but the cost for each subsequent copy is close to nothing).

That starting cost has to be split up on each subsequent copy made, to get the actual price per unit.

This means that they need to produce (and thus sell) a very large amount of each model to make the price per piece affordable. (This is basically what people are talking about when they say "economics of scale".)

For all the characters included in the box, that "very large amount" is already secured, since all backers are getting a copy. For all extras, however, Awaken Realms would be taking a huge investment gamble if they made all the minis in plastic, because there is no guarantee people will actually buy them.

What they could do though, and what have been suggested in some comments, is to start a separate Kickstarter project, only for plastic minis. That would allow them to secure the funds for a plastic production run before committing to actually producing them. I'm sure they would consider doing that if they felt there was enough of a market interest to make it worth while. I highly doubt that market interest is there though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Games World
Saudi Arabia
Jeddah
Jeddah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the same for me, I am really torn, when I think if I get the whole furniture set (painted), i can got at least 6-7 new games with that price + shipping instead.

On the other hand, not getting the minis will feel that there is something missing, as I am a player who like the good components and good quality, furthermore, I did not like the furniture cards from the start (black card with wording), the feeling is different. I don't know, still thinking about it.

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
mbmbmbmbmb
squire wrote:
Are the cards that come with the furniture add-ons different to the cards in the core box?

No, I don't believe there are any cards that come with the furniture add-on, not sure what they could do different when including the mini.

Quote from the Pledge Manager:
Quote:
furniture to be used during the game along with the corresponding card

Seems to me that you just match up the mini with the card that comes in the base game as the illustration on the card will show you what mini to use on the spot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Squire
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, looks like I misunderstood then, thanks. That makes the decision a bit simpler at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fitz Rurisk
France
flag msg tools
Le gras, c'est la vie.
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed the two furnitures sets, even if the total cost is the same as the main box (£10+£40)... But I needed to : What I loved in the video game was that you could see and feel your shelter building up, and the minis will do this far better than any card, especially since I'll be painting everything.

I know it doesn't add anything to gameplay, it's just eyecandy on the table...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.