JonGetsGames
United States
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The official english rules state:
Quote:
Take 5 points for each row in which your tiles are symmetrical.

This seems straight forward on the face of it, and considering that I think when you look at the following photo you'd assume only the third row would score this symmetry bonus:

However when you read on, the rules then say this:
Quote:
Symmetry is achieved when you place two tiles of the same pattern with the same orientation at the leftmost and the rightmost columns, and do the same at the second left and second right columns.

This appears to say that rows 1 and 2 in the upper photo actually score the symmetry bonus, and the 3rd doesn't. This seems wrong to me, the idea of this game is to build beautiful gardens and rows 1 and 2 are far worse looking vs row 3. The rules don't take the symmetry within the central column tile, nor do they invalidate a row if it has clashing edges.

Does anyone have any input on this? I may house rule this so that the more esthetically appealing mirror symmetry of the 3rd row, as well as having no clashing edges, are what score the symmetry bonus at the end of the game. The central tile in the 3rd row isn't mirror symmetrical of course, and this would he hard to rule without a bunch of exceptions, so it seems that any tile that has the same left and right edges (even a quarter whirpool) should be good enough for the symmetry where a half moss tile like the 2nd row wouldn't count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I think it's just a poorly-worded translation. The Japanese rules page for the game has a FAQ which hasn't been translated, but the section on symmetry has examples which make the rule pretty clear - the 1st and 5th tiles have to be mirror images, as do the 2nd and 4th tiles (the middle tile can be anything). The only caveat is that the oval moss tiles do not have to be perfect reflections to count.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=bmV3Z2FtZ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonGetsGames
United States
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
I think it's just a poorly-worded translation. The Japanese rules page for the game has a FAQ which hasn't been translated, but the section on symmetry has examples which make the rule pretty clear - the 1st and 5th tiles have to be mirror images, as do the 2nd and 4th tiles (the middle tile can be anything). The only caveat is that the oval moss tiles do not have to be perfect reflections to count.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=bmV3Z2FtZ...

That link is wonderful, thanks for sharing! This makes way more sense, so it sounds like in my first example, only row 3 should score afterall. It's abit odd that the middle tile can be anything, including the super assymetric half moss tiles, but I think I'll play it that way so that the intended difficulty isn't messed up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.