Subject: RoR Strategy Page rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roberto Ullfig
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I've seen very little discussion regarding strategy on the internet so I wrote up a page of stuff. If anyone can come up with more ideas I can incorporate it:

http://www.yxklyx.com/thecolosseum/ror/strategy.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne Jæger
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's because everyone is holding their cards hidden.... cool

Looking forward to viewing this..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good advice for new players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Ullfig
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
ibn_ul_khattab wrote:
Good advice for new players

Hmph, this was meant for more experienced players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Sebastian Pagani
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
Options for unplayable statesman?

From your strategy page:

1. If you are dealt a Statesman that you are unable to play you have essentially three options:
a. Contact the player who controls the Family Card and offer the Statesman in trade, either for cards and/or money. You might also be able to get a promise for something else (like a Consul nomination) but make an Open Deal in order for such a promise to be upheld. Be careful of telling anyone you have the Statesman card if you only have one or two cards in your hand - a player could play Influence Peddling and steal the Statesman from you.
b. Keep the card in hand. If the Family Card is not a Faction Leader then there's a chance that he will end up in the Curia after death. Once in the Curia, you can play your Statesman.
c. Discard it. You can discard any Red Cards during the Revolution Phase. If you control Pompey and have Caesar in hand - you might want to prevent any chance from Caesar coming into the game - so just Discard him.
----------------------------------------------------------

Some senators never die of natural causes. There are some other options for the impatient if the family card controlled by your opponent is not the faction leader; you can try to persuade him to your faction or get him out of the way of playing your statesman card in the upcoming revolution phase. Sell your votes to the faction of the wealthiest player for the upcoming senate phase and use a seduction or blackmail card to persuade him over to your own faction. If you used blackmail and failed you also ended up severely damaging his popularity. Use whatever influence you can to see him nominated for any major office to set him up for prosecution next turn. Or if you are just too impatient send him to the curia early with a successful assassination attempt.

Take steps to minimise your risk and always weigh the potential benefits against the possibility of failure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Sebastian Pagani
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
FL card not always lost when he's caught in assassination attempt
From your strategy page:

2. If you are dealt a Family Card that has an associated Statesman you nearly always want to make that Family Card your Faction Leader. You get to keep the Family Card if the Senator dies (unless he was a caught Assassin, etc...), preventing someone else from playing the Statesman. Also, you may not want to play all your Concessions if you don't have the Statesman - you might be able to trade some of your Concessions in hand to another player for the Statesman.

------------------------------------------------------------

I believe this part is incorrect. If you specify your faction leader family card as the assassin and he is caught and put to death. You lose only the tokens and markers on the card (except for the faction leader token) and you get to keep the card.

The only time you lose the card is when the Faction Leader is the last remaining senator in your faction and he is caught in an assassination attempt; then, according to the rules, the player is eliminated from the game.

In fact, because you do not lose the card, it is often a good tactic when planning an assassination to make any senator without additional influence or popularity your faction leader at the end of your initiative sequence in preparation for the assassination in the upcoming senate phase. Watch out when an opponent makes this move!

If you are dealt a family card that has an associated statesman and you suspect an opponent has the statesman and wants you to lose the card, you should increase that senator's popularity ASAP as a deterrent to assassination attempts and prosecutions, keep money in your treasury to combat a persuasion attempt, secure the seduction/blackmail cards before your opponent can get these, find a bodyguard card, or whatever combination of these things is possible.

I am assuming the other player has already refused to trade the statesman to you for anything you are capable of promising, which should have been your first intention. You must be in a weak position with few votes, poor concessions, limited talents, and no major offices, to have such worries; this can sometimes be the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jspagani wrote:

...or get him out of the way of playing your statesman card in the upcoming revolution phase.

what do you exactly mean here ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jspagani wrote:
From your strategy page:

2. If you are dealt a Family Card that has an associated Statesman you nearly always want to make that Family Card your Faction Leader. You get to keep the Family Card if the Senator dies (unless he was a caught Assassin, etc...), preventing someone else from playing the Statesman. Also, you may not want to play all your Concessions if you don't have the Statesman - you might be able to trade some of your Concessions in hand to another player for the Statesman.

I believe this part is incorrect. If you specify your faction leader family card as the assassin and he is caught and put to death. You lose only the tokens and markers on the card (except for the faction leader token) and you get to keep the card.

The only time you lose the card is when the Faction Leader is the last remaining senator in your faction and he is caught in an assassination attempt; then, according to the rules, the player is eliminated from the game.

In fact, because you do not lose the card, it is often a good tactic when planning an assassination to make any senator without additional influence or popularity your faction leader at the end of your initiative sequence in preparation for the assassination in the upcoming senate phase. Watch out when an opponent makes this move!

If you are dealt a family card that has an associated statesman and you suspect an opponent has the statesman and wants you to lose the card, you should increase that senator's popularity ASAP as a deterrent to assassination attempts and prosecutions, keep money in your treasury to combat a persuasion attempt, secure the seduction/blackmail cards before your opponent can get these, find a bodyguard card, or whatever combination of these things is possible.

I am assuming the other player has already refused to trade the statesman to you for anything you are capable of promising, which should have been your first intention. You must be in a weak position with few votes, poor concessions, limited talents, and no major offices, to have such worries; this can sometimes be the case.

That is not incorrect => if a FL is caught as an assassin then he loses the FL marker and goes immediately to the curia. The same if he is found guilty at the special major prosecution => for this prosecution he has to be in Rome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Sebastian Pagani
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
powerwis wrote:
jspagani wrote:

...or get him out of the way of playing your statesman card in the upcoming revolution phase.

what do you exactly mean here ?

E medio removere

You cannot play your red statesman card as long as the other player has the related family card in his faction. Therefore, one way to make it possible for you to play the statesman at the end of the turn (in the revolution phase) is to get rid of your opponent's family card by prosecution or assassination in the (senate phase).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Sebastian Pagani
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
powerwis wrote:
jspagani wrote:
From your strategy page:

snip

That is not incorrect => if a FL is caught as an assassin then he loses the FL marker and goes immediately to the curia. The same if he is found guilty at the special major prosecution => for this prosecution he has to be in Rome.

I went back to check the living rules; a dissection of 1.09.74 reveals:

(1) a caught assassin is killed (card goes to Curia)

(2) FL if different (goes to immediate special major prosecution)
If found guilty, the FL is killed (and goes to Curia as well)
& mortality chits = to target's POP are drawn against assassin's faction

(3) If caught assassin was the FL he is killed (i.e. without trouble of special prosecution) & chits are drawn as above.

(4) If killed FL was the last remaining member of the Faction, the player is eliminated from the Game.

The wording in 1.09.74 would seem to imply that the player is eliminated from the game as a consequence of losing the Faction leader card (which was his last).

You appear to be correct, but I concede it unhappily. The edition of the rules that came with my box permits the interpretation I had made, namely, that you only lost the FL family card if it was the last card; I assumed that this was written to prevent a player with only one card left from going on a mad killing rampage and upsetting the balance of the game. I feel that the game loses somewhat from the rewrite in the living rules, but perhaps I cannot yet see the whole picture.

Why should the player lose control of the family card?

Whichever variant is chosen, strategically, it still makes sense to make your weakest senator the FL before an assassination attempt. The stakes are a bit higher in the living rules rewrite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I don't know that it is there to prevent a player with only 1 senator to go on a mad killing spree - but to prevent anyone from doing so. thee should be a certain risk from assassinating another senator - and that is potentially getting knocked out of the game yourself. It should carry this penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Runyon
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
soblueHave no idea what the person means when talking about "setting" governorships to different terms, I only play the latest edition, was this something in the old edition? BGG really needs to have separate entries for different games to avoid this type of confusion, but then I guess they can barely run a search engine!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.