Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Stalica
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Friday we decided on a game of CoC with the Civilizations expansion (w/Aztecs)and boy did it have a quick - and surprise - ending...

We played with the Civilizations expansion and after a little explaining - got under way. I was playing the Mayans, Michael S. as the Vikings, Michael R. has the Japanese, and Mike B. had the Aztecs (yup, 3 Mikes ). Michael (the Viking one) immediately started with some rumblings of wanting to pillage us all; while the other two were more peaceful and concentrated on researching techs and exploration - as was I. Initially, only I and Mike B. explored tiles that created barbarian cities whereas both Mike S and I found some pirates (lake and sea ones). Now barbarians can be an opportunity...or a curse...in this game they were both.

Once we started hitting the events card deck (era II), I added some more barbarians to my vicinity and added some barbarian cavalry into the barbarian village next to Mike B; and wouldn't you know it - on his event draw they attacked! It was Mike's only village and he had a single warrior defending it. Michael S. rolled for the barbarians and utterly wiped out the Aztec warrior AND village without suffering any loses. The combination of bad event luck and bad combat results was truly disheartening for Mike B - but he still had one settler left. He retreated his settler back into his original home space and re-created his village, but his position was to prove too weak in the long run... The Vikings meanwhile, were sad to discover that this alternate world had few oceans and so concentrated on improving their tech and building a working Democracy. They were also very fortunate to receive and event which not only allowed them to explore a new tile but also to place a new city - which would help them much in the long run. The Japanese seemed to wander around looking for choice terrain to settle in while the Mayans concentrated on spiritually (for free tech of course) and building some warriors to take on the local barbarians louts. The Era featured many, many famine events; resources failures; and - of course - more barbarian additions (who shuffled anyway!?!).

In Era III, Mike B was once again the unfortunate recipient of barbarian attentions - this time the barbarians brought along an elephant. This time Michael S's combat rolls resulted in an utter genocide of the Aztecs (again at no barbarian loss) and unexpectedly triggered the game end which would occur at the end of the era. So began a scramble for points knowing this would be the game end. The vikings concentrated on building up their cities; the Mayans concentrated on navigational techs (I needed to have them all to obtain one of my objective cards) and some village building; while Michael R's Japanese managed to waged a "culture attack" on a neighboring barbarian village which netted him another village and a warrior. When all was said and done the Vikings (having obtained 2 of their objective cards for an extra 4 points) wound up with 22 pts, the Mayans with 19; and the Japanese with 17. Congrats to Michael S. for the win and to all for an interesting game. Consolations for Mike B for some truly horrendous luck. I suppose the moral is that: don't discount the local hoodlums - get rid of'em!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
That's hilarious. Good luck convincing Mike B. to play COC again. Having not played COC civilizations, do you have any thoughts to share on the new game balance? vs the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.