Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Gordon
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that placing your face down card in the slot for the action you're going to take can cause some issues, namely when there will be a potential contest for catching a wave. A player who is wondering if another player is going to catch the wave, wait, or paddle can simply delay their choice until they see what action the other is going to take. Seems like a good way to do the action selection might be to have everyone select a card without placing it in the action slot, then simultaneously reveal and place them by the action they're going to take.

Anyone else run into this issue? What'd you do? Am I over thinking this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When there's an issue like that I've had the cards placed in turn order. I'm not sure the rulebook specifically addresses that issue but it does say timing issues should be resolved in turn order. Usually this applies to stoke cards but seems logical it would apply to this issue too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Miller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kevster wrote:
I've found that placing your face down card in the slot for the action you're going to take can cause some issues, namely when there will be a potential contest for catching a wave. A player who is wondering if another player is going to catch the wave, wait, or paddle can simply delay their choice until they see what action the other is going to take. Seems like a good way to do the action selection might be to have everyone select a card without placing it in the action slot, then simultaneously reveal and place them by the action they're going to take.

Anyone else run into this issue? What'd you do? Am I over thinking this?

Hey Kevin! This is something I've taken into consideration, as I know many gamers enjoy this kind of rules clarity. The First Player token is intended to resolve any conflicts of this nature. Much of the time, your action selection will have little effect on other players - but there are certain cases in which it's very important information. In those cases the first player token is used to resolve action selection based on turn order.

pg 4 - First Player Token: "If there are any timing conflicts, these are resolved in clockwise order starting with the first player."

Thanks for the question Kevin!!

Cheers, -Cody
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gordon
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Cody. We played again last night and this is how we resolved it. Works great.

And honestly, I like this game more and more each time I play it. In addition to it simply being an enjoyable experience, there are so many fun things that can happen. Like last night, I had a competition with a friend to catch a perfect 5 wave. I won the competition, only to realize that I didn't pay any attention to the wave card and wiped out. Then, another player had a competition with that same player the next turn, and did the exact same thing. We were laughing at how in real life, it'd be like this good surfer losing awesome waves to these amateurs, then just laughing to himself after watching them wipeout immediately
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Miller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kevster wrote:
Thank you Cody. We played again last night and this is how we resolved it. Works great.

And honestly, I like this game more and more each time I play it. In addition to it simply being an enjoyable experience, there are so many fun things that can happen. Like last night, I had a competition with a friend to catch a perfect 5 wave. I won the competition, only to realize that I didn't pay any attention to the wave card and wiped out. Then, another player had a competition with that same player the next turn, and did the exact same thing. We were laughing at how in real life, it'd be like this good surfer losing awesome waves to these amateurs, then just laughing to himself after watching them wipeout immediately

Bahaha! I bet your friend was really enjoying him self by that point!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.