$35.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Two player game for me and spouse rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
PerAnton Larsson
Sweden
Örnsköldsvik
flag msg tools
Hi
Old board game players with a 5 year gap from the last purchase, had a Child, now we bought a house with a Beautiful glassed porch where we want to savour some new games.

Games we love and the reasons are as following:

Race for the Galaxy: Lots of well detailed and thematic cards in a grand universe, were we dont have to focus too much on what the other player is doing.

Talisman: A wee bit tedious, but makes up for it with High Fantasy art and Components and simple roll and move play. We are suckers for drawing cards and Reading encounters

Arkham Horror: Love the setting and roleplay-ish athmosphere, love the cards and the tension it gives.

Eclipse: We like the setting and great Components and the feel that we are building a space empire, without having to play for 10 hours.

Got plenty of Eurogames with lots of worker placement and strategies, dont want that. We want a cozy grand adventure for 2, with lots of athmosphere, pref collecting stuff and building yourself.

The game need to work great with 2 players.

Sorry for all the text
 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might like Above and Below.

And GG for correctly saying "game for ME and spouse" and not that awful "game for my spouse and I".
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
You might like Above and Below.

And GG for correctly saying "game for ME and spouse" and not that awful "game for my spouse and I".


Respect is putting the other person first.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PerAnton Larsson
Sweden
Örnsköldsvik
flag msg tools
Geosphere wrote:

That went straight into the Wishlist, many thanks!

pfctsqr wrote:
You might like Above and Below.

And GG for correctly saying "game for ME and spouse" and not that awful "game for my spouse and I".


It didnt look like what I've asumed that we would like, but it made me interested, Added it to Wishlist. Thanks

Any dungeon crawler without the need of a Dungeon Master is also something ive thought about.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maldrok wrote:
Any dungeon crawler without the need of a Dungeon Master is also something ive thought about.

Some popular crawls:
- Zombicide: Black Plague (on the popcorn-movie side of things)
- Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients (requires mini building/glue)
- Gloomhaven (not out yet, ETA Oct-ish)
- Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) (Requires a DM, but they just released an App to be the DM)

If you like a tactical mini co-op, can't recommend Space Cadets: Away Missions highly enough.

For a head-to-head game, BattleLore (Second Edition)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T.I.M.E Stories

I've played it once and it's not my cup of tea, but a friend and his wife have started playing it as a 2-player game and they absolutely love it.



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Cohn
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I just played Xia: Legends of a Drift System the other day with a friend who is working on the upcoming expansion. I think this would fit your bill. Not my cup of tea, but a very good game with lots of possibilities to try out...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at Legends of Andor.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Sequence
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
pfctsqr wrote:
You might like Above and Below.

And GG for correctly saying "game for ME and spouse" and not that awful "game for my spouse and I".


Neither is correct.

"game for my spouse and me"
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bishop
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 For BattleLore (Second Edition)

My wife and I have enjoyed Castle Panic but we have to have the Castle Panic: The Wizard's Tower the 3rd expansion is optional, 4th expansion was announced.

We have also enjoyed Castles of Mad King Ludwig. We have but have not played the expansion yet. It is a good special game and because my wife likes to build her castle we play with only the 2 of us but with the 4 player amount of rooms - have not found that an issue yet.

The grand fantasy game we like is Defenders of the Realm but we have everything for it so far. The base game even without all the extras gives an epic cooperative feeling. It does take a lot of table space. There are rumblings of a 2nd printing but nothing confirmed.

We did play Mice and Mystics but are waiting to replay it and it's expansions with our kids when they are old enough. This is our favorite "dungeon crawl" but cute.

Elder Sign and its expansions are good, my wife just does not find that mythos cheery enough and because she is my main gaming partner we have not played that a lot.

Shadowrift 2nd edition is just finishing up the processing and will ship to its kickstarter funders soon. The 1st edition is a very good deck-builder that feels fantasy and is cooperative.

Finally, we are looking at Runebound (Third Edition) but we will need to make room first. That's a promise I made before we get any new games (enjoy the storage space while you can before the hobby takes it all away whistle)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
do you know of Relic? It's based on the Talisman game system (it's like a remake of Talisman)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PerAnton Larsson
Sweden
Örnsköldsvik
flag msg tools
cafin8d wrote:
maldrok wrote:
Any dungeon crawler without the need of a Dungeon Master is also something ive thought about.

Some popular crawls:
- Zombicide: Black Plague (on the popcorn-movie side of things)
- Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients (requires mini building/glue)
- Gloomhaven (not out yet, ETA Oct-ish)
- Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) (Requires a DM, but they just released an App to be the DM)

If you like a tactical mini co-op, can't recommend Space Cadets: Away Missions highly enough.

For a head-to-head game, BattleLore (Second Edition)


Thanks alot! Brimstone looked very nice in its setting.
An app for Descent is like a dream to me, since I always end up playing the DM
Didnt knew they released a new BattleLore edition, the first one was hard to get a hold on.
So many good Recommendations, Thank you.



Mad Math wrote:
Have a look at Legends of Andor.

Seems right up our Alley, Thanks!



Windmillfighter wrote:
+1 For BattleLore (Second Edition)

We did play Mice and Mystics but are waiting to replay it and it's expansions with our kids when they are old enough. This is our favorite "dungeon crawl" but cute.



I need to check Mice out, it looks Amazing with the perfect athmosphere.
Thanks!



Hovercraft wrote:
do you know of Relic? It's based on the Talisman game system (it's like a remake of Talisman)


Sorry no remakes, one Talisman + lots of expansions are enough for us
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
T.I.M.E Stories

I've played it once and it's not my cup of tea, but a friend and his wife have started playing it as a 2-player game and they absolutely love it.





I would second this, and with the rate of the expansions, it's not all that difficult of a purchase to make for a "one-time" story game. It's like purchasing a $50 book that you can read and interact with, with other people.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PerAnton Larsson
Sweden
Örnsköldsvik
flag msg tools
Quote:


I would second this, and with the rate of the expansions, it's not all that difficult of a purchase to make for a "one-time" story game. It's like purchasing a $50 book that you can read and interact with, with other people.


I'm uncertain, but people are recommending it with warm heart, so I need to check it out some further, so that I'm not dismissing it too lightly.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maldrok wrote:
Quote:


I would second this, and with the rate of the expansions, it's not all that difficult of a purchase to make for a "one-time" story game. It's like purchasing a $50 book that you can read and interact with, with other people.


I'm uncertain, but people are recommending it with warm heart, so I need to check it out some further, so that I'm not dismissing it too lightly.


It is certainly a mystery-adventure of the puzzle-kind. As the rules caution, you're not likely to win on your first attempt, and our 4-player team certainly performed as predicted. But the knowledge you acquire on each attempt helps you make better choices in the next play of the game.

The artwork is also very well done and helps create the mood. Your first adventure is set in a French mental asylum back in the 1920s.

It has a definite RPG feel to it (I must qualify that be acknowledging that I've never played a true RPG). The players have specific role characters (my friend and wife are playing two roles each), work together as a team against the game, and more things are revealed as you uncover/discover information.

Like I wrote earlier, it's not my kind of game, but it is an excellent one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bergom
United States
Towson
Maryland
flag msg tools
"Sometimes it would be nice to be wrong about people." -Commander Samuel Vimes
mbmbmbmbmb
maldrok wrote:
Hi
Old board game players with a 5 year gap from the last purchase, had a Child, now we bought a house with a Beautiful glassed porch where we want to savour some new games.

Games we love and the reasons are as following:

Race for the Galaxy: Lots of well detailed and thematic cards in a grand universe, were we dont have to focus too much on what the other player is doing.

Talisman: A wee bit tedious, but makes up for it with High Fantasy art and Components and simple roll and move play. We are suckers for drawing cards and Reading encounters

Arkham Horror: Love the setting and roleplay-ish athmosphere, love the cards and the tension it gives.

Eclipse: We like the setting and great Components and the feel that we are building a space empire, without having to play for 10 hours.

Got plenty of Eurogames with lots of worker placement and strategies, dont want that. We want a cozy grand adventure for 2, with lots of athmosphere, pref collecting stuff and building yourself.

The game need to work great with 2 players.

Sorry for all the text

I think you'd do well with Runebound (Third Edition). The Realms of Terrinoth is a well-established world at this point, with some rich history. Runebound doesn't really require you to focus a lot on what the other player is doing, unless you both have quests that take you to the same part of the map (possible, but unlikely).

Runebound is all about tramping about the realm, having various encounters, either more social, exploratory, or combat-oriented (depending on where you are). Your goal is to build your adventurer up with skills and equipment to ultimately take on the big bad.

Base 3rd Ed. Runebound comes with two big bads, a Dragon and a Lich. I'm particularly fond of how the adventure decks are built with some generics, and some that are specifically tied to the big bad you're going up against. That goes for the social and exploration encounters as well as the combat encounters.

I think the game shines at 2 players, because the downtime is severely reduced. Every time your opponent gets into a combat, you control the enemy's combat tokens, and there are some interesting decisions to be made.

In short, I really think you owe it to yourself to look into Runebound. Given the information you've shared, it's right up your alley.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PerAnton Larsson
Sweden
Örnsköldsvik
flag msg tools
Quote:
I think you'd do well with Runebound (Third Edition). The Realms of Terrinoth is a well-established world at this point, with some rich history. Runebound doesn't really require you to focus a lot on what the other player is doing, unless you both have quests that take you to the same part of the map (possible, but unlikely).

Runebound is all about tramping about the realm, having various encounters, either more social, exploratory, or combat-oriented....


Ive owned the first version of Runebound, We didnt like it for some reason back when i played it 10 years ago or something like that. But im guessing things have changed with the editions. I will check it out and see what has been happening since the 1st.
Thanks for all the info!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maldrok wrote:
Race for the Galaxy: Lots of well detailed and thematic cards in a grand universe, were we dont have to focus too much on what the other player is doing.

San Juan (second edition) is similar, but different.

maldrok wrote:
Talisman: A wee bit tedious, but makes up for it with High Fantasy art and Components and simple roll and move play. We are suckers for drawing cards and Reading encounters

The Witcher Adventure Game feels very Talisman-inspired to me, with a bit of Elder Sign added to it.

maldrok wrote:
Arkham Horror: Love the setting and roleplay-ish athmosphere, love the cards and the tension it gives.

Eldritch Horror, period.

For a shorter and more compact Lovecraftian board game experience, take a look at Elder Sign.

maldrok wrote:
Got plenty of Eurogames with lots of worker placement and strategies, dont want that. We want a cozy grand adventure for 2, with lots of athmosphere, pref collecting stuff and building yourself.


Tales of the Arabian Nights. It's 90% storytelling and following your character on a journey. It's a very different kind of game, but it's just fun and has a good sense of humour. Very easy rules, the component quality is fantastic and the replay value is excellent (~2500 unique encounters). ►Here you can find a really good and entertaining review. =)

maldrok wrote:
Sorry for all the text

Don't be sorry, your text is well-structured, clear and to the point.

maldrok wrote:
Any dungeon crawler without the need of a Dungeon Master is also something ive thought about.

You're in luck, Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) can now be played as a cooperative game with a companion app and Mansions of Madness: Second Edition has been announced just today.


Good luck with your (re)search !
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stlm wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
You might like Above and Below.

And GG for correctly saying "game for ME and spouse" and not that awful "game for my spouse and I".


Neither is correct.

"game for my spouse and me"


I see that, but I was impressed he used the correct case of the personal pronoun. Most don't realize there is a difference.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
T.I.M.E Stories

I've played it once and it's not my cup of tea, but a friend and his wife have started playing it as a 2-player game and they absolutely love it.





Unless, of course, you actually want to play a game twice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stlm wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
You might like Above and Below.

And GG for correctly saying "game for ME and spouse" and not that awful "game for my spouse and I".


Neither is correct.

"game for my spouse and me"

Is "game for my spouse and myself" possible ?

The "and I" phrasing always really confused me. English is not my first language.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Eldard wrote:
T.I.M.E Stories

I've played it once and it's not my cup of tea, but a friend and his wife have started playing it as a 2-player game and they absolutely love it.





Unless, of course, you actually want to play a game twice.


It'll probably be played at least twice, but you are correct that once the game is solved, there's no replay value.

At that point, it's worth trading away.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PerAnton Larsson
Sweden
Örnsköldsvik
flag msg tools


Quote:


Unless, of course, you actually want to play a game twice.


It'll probably be played at least twice, but you are correct that once the game is solved, there's no replay value.

At that point, it's worth trading away.[/q]

That Is what I was afraid of :/ It is very unlikely that me and my love will get it, but I will present the evidence. Thanks for all the input fellow humanoids
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.