25 Posts

Dominion: Empires» Forums » General

Subject: Never ending Dominion game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fredrick berlik
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If both me and my opponent trash all of our cards and buy a card that has a cost in debt then we will never be able to buy any more cards for the rest of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth Bane wrote:
If both me and my opponent trash all of our cards and buy a card that has a cost in debt then we will never be able to buy any more cards for the rest of the game.

Then don't do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth Bane wrote:

Are you suggesting there is a flaw in the design because it allows you to make a play as horribly as this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
Darth Bane wrote:

Then don't do that.
Or, call the game, and then play something else, or another game of Empires. But then proceed to NOT do that this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You dont need Debt to have a never-ending game. You can do it with just the base set - that is, choose never to buy any cards. You won't have any fun, and you'll be well beaten by anyone actually playing to win - but it's possible if you want to.

I'm not sure how the scenario described in the OP is any different from this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Moser

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmb
robinz wrote:
You dont need Debt to have a never-ending game. You can do it with just the base set - that is, choose never to buy any cards. You won't have any fun, and you'll be well beaten by anyone actually playing to win - but it's possible if you want to.

I'm not sure how the scenario described in the OP is any different from this.

I think trashing all the coppers with their and not gaining them is the more plausible scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even in the base game of Dominion you could run the supply out of Copper and trash them all and get into a situation where you can't gain anything but Curses and so can't ever end the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Even in the base game of Dominion you could run the supply out of Copper and trash them all and get into a situation where you can't gain anything but Curses and so can't ever end the game.

This happened to me, I'm still playing in that game. Donald, we need a rules update to free me and people like me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IncompleteUserNa wrote:
This happened to me, I'm still playing in that game. Donald, we need a rules update to free me and people like me.

It could be like Chess, if you take 50 consecutive turns and no one gains or trashes any cards, then the game ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
IncompleteUserNa wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

Well there's a ruling - an old one - but I don't know if you're gonna like it.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/4417360#4417360
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IncompleteUserNa wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

Official ruling is "play until you starve to death". I'm not sure if there needs to be a supplemental ruling in the event someone dies from a cause other than starvation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that this flaw has been found, I'm tempted to lower my rating of the game to 9.999. But that seems uncharitable, so I'll let Donald keep one more perfect 10 rating.

Also, the thread title should be hyphenated: never-ending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
donaldx wrote:
Well there's a ruling - an old one - but I don't know if you're gonna like it.

Am I the only person who thinks Donald X. is sounding like Deep Thought, here?

Maybe the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything is "How many VP do you score if you manage to stalemate Dominion?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candace Mercer
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could get an Overloard with debt which allows you to play any card under 5 I believe which you could use to use cards with money on them to pay off your debt and rebuild. Once debt is gone use Overlorad on a card with a buy option on it and snag a free copper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador C. Majoral
Andorra
Argentona, Barcelona
flag msg tools
conmanau wrote:
IncompleteUserNa wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

Official ruling is "play until you starve to death". I'm not sure if there needs to be a supplemental ruling in the event someone dies from a cause other than starvation.

It doesn't clearly state whether the first player to die is the winner or the loser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
candio wrote:
You could get an Overlord with debt

Not if you already have debt. You can't buy any more Cards or Events until you're out of debt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
IncompleteUserNa wrote:

It could be like Chess, if you take 50 consecutive turns and no one gains or trashes any cards, then the game ends.

I never heard of the 50 consecutive turns w/o gains or trashes rule in chess before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kjamma4 wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
IncompleteUserNa wrote:

I never heard of the 50 consecutive turns w/o gains or trashes rule in chess before.

I think you're just being facetious - but just in case you're not:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifty-move_rule
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Romano
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could still play Engineer and gain cards with coins in them or gain coppers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salva wrote:
conmanau wrote:
IncompleteUserNa wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

It doesn't clearly state whether the first player to die is the winner or the loser.

I assume the surviving players rejoice in their shared victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candace Mercer
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
candio wrote:
You could get an Overlord with debt

Not if you already have debt. You can't buy any more Cards or Events until you're out of debt.

OOPs you are right, my bad, and I thought I was being so clever! Clive man, you know your game! I bow to you, and not just for this thread!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
conmanau wrote:
salva wrote:
conmanau wrote:
IncompleteUserNa wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

I assume the surviving players rejoice in their shared victory.

Nope. The rule doesn't say "Continue playing until only one player remains", it says
Donald X. wrote:
If no-one has a way to end the game, I guess everyone keeps playing until they starve to death.

So if this situation occurs, the game continues until all players starve to death. Though as soon as one player has starved to death, the game will slow down considerably once it is that player's turn.

The rules do not specify what happens if a player dies for some other cause, resulting in a situation where all players starving to death cannot happen, putting the game back in a never-ending situation. I consider this a serious flaw in the rules of Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play with a house rule that if someone dies of non-starvation, they have 5 days to appoint a substitute player, and if they fail to do so we handle it via the storming-off-in-a-huff rules from the Dark Ages rulebook. (i.e. we treat it as though they have appointed an abstract substitute player whose behavior consists entirely of storming off in a huff.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
francesco solidani
msg tools
Day 64.
Now i realize how fool i was to trash all my coppers.
I think the other player doesn't breath anymore.

If somebody read this, please help.

I miss my family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Empire Builder, I goofed twice with no money left blush Instead of just sitting out, they gave me a "loan" to keep me playing and in the game. Here, just give each player 3 Coppers
Keep Calm
and carry on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.