$5.00
$15.00
$20.00
Malcom Chase
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi! The more games we play, the more we realize my brother favors Euro-style play, while I don't. Still, I have a lot of games I like, so we are looking for something more his style that I will enjoy too.

We really like Steam Works, so that's our starting point. He likes the Engine Building aspect, the Low Player Interaction, and buying tiles from the display instead of drawing blind from a pile. I like the Different Characters with their own styles and abilities. We both love the Theme.

We are looking for something like that, that plays very well with 2. If it can take more, great, but it's not that important.

So far, we are looking at Imperial Settlers. Only downside is you can mess up your opponents engine. Does someone know if that happens too often?

Anyway, do you know of anything we might like?

Thanks for your help BBG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Give Lewis & Clark a look.

The engine building takes the form of how you manage your expedition's team and resources to efficiently travel. Too many resources == too much weight which slows you down, so you need an engine that converts stuff to motion, essentially.

The player interaction is mainly in terms of resource denial found in most worker placements, as opposed to take that aggression.

You buy your crew-cards from the display, and each crew-member is unique and has special powers. Hand management is also a factor.

I find the theme interesting and all the cards are real people with history described in the book.

And it is awesome at 2p. It's a favorite in our house, I hope it looks interesting to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Steampunk Rally is your game. It can be very interactive, but you don't have to play it that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcom Chase
msg tools
mbmbmb
quill65 wrote:
Steampunk Rally is your game. It can be very interactive, but you don't have to play it that way.

Ummm... On the one hand, it has everything we like. On the other, your machine seems to lose parts a lot. That's fine for someone tactical like me, but it seems to hurt the strategic side of the game when my engine is constantly changing on the draft (which I'm pretty sure he won't like as much).

I guess the deciding factor is: Does it play well with two? Is the draft hurt by the number of players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcom Chase
msg tools
mbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
Give Lewis & Clark a look.

The engine building takes the form of how you manage your expedition's team and resources to efficiently travel. Too many resources == too much weight which slows you down, so you need an engine that converts stuff to motion, essentially.

The player interaction is mainly in terms of resource denial found in most worker placements, as opposed to take that aggression.

You buy your crew-cards from the display, and each crew-member is unique and has special powers. Hand management is also a factor.

I find the theme interesting and all the cards are real people with history described in the book.

And it is awesome at 2p. It's a favorite in our house, I hope it looks interesting to you.

In Lewis and Clark, everyone starts with the same cards in hand, right?

Without the Variable Player Powers and with the constant back and forth on the track, this one seems like it would drive me crazy.

I know I'm saying "this one won't work for me", "this one won't work for my brother". Sorry! Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
MalCharacter wrote:
quill65 wrote:

Ummm... On the one hand, it has everything we like. On the other, your machine seems to lose parts a lot. That's fine for someone tactical like me, but it seems to hurt the strategic side of the game when my engine is constantly changing on the draft (which I'm pretty sure he won't like as much).

I guess the deciding factor is: Does it play well with two? Is the draft hurt by the number of players?

The game has multiple strategies, which include making a giant messy machine designed to fall apart as you move along, losing dice-clogged part cards and replacing them with better ones every draft. Another strategy is to make a lean machine that holds itself together through the rough spots and unclogs itself. To each their own, and I'd add that the different characters can really shape your strategy in that regard.

My wife and I play this 2P, and we have lots of fun. The drafting works just fine. More players will make the game more chaotic, especially if people use the event (boost) cards that do mean things to the other players. FWIW our style is more like your brother's: low interaction engine building euros are our thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcom Chase
msg tools
mbmbmb
quill65 wrote:
The game has multiple strategies, which include making a giant messy machine designed to fall apart as you move along, losing dice-clogged part cards and replacing them with better ones every draft. Another strategy is to make a lean machine that holds itself together through the rough spots and unclogs itself. To each their own, and I'd add that the different characters can really shape your strategy in that regard.

My wife and I play this 2P, and we have lots of fun. The drafting works just fine. More players will make the game more chaotic, especially if people use the event (boost) cards that do mean things to the other players. FWIW our style is more like your brother's: low interaction engine building euros are our thing.

In the two videos about the game I saw, machines lost parts pretty easily. But it could be more about the way the reviewer played than the game itself.

Thanks! Bumping it up on the priority list!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chas Heath
United States
Victoria
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Regarding Imperial Settlers, I think you guys might well enjoy it.
There can be some ways of burning other people's buildings, but when I've played it doesn't tend to happen very often at all. And the engine building is absolutely there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MalCharacter wrote:
In Lewis and Clark, everyone starts with the same cards in hand, right?

Starts with, yes, but each card you buy has different powers, so the end hand is very different.

MalCharacter wrote:
I know I'm saying "this one won't work for me", "this one won't work for my brother". Sorry! Thanks for your help!

No worries, all we can do is throw darts and see what sticks

You might be surprised at what ends up working for you, there have been a few games I ended up loving after being sure I wouldn't (and vice-versa), but it sure is expensive to research that way if you don't have an easy way to try games out first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games we enjoy 2-player:

Louis XIV
Saint Petersburg
Snowdonia
K2
1775: Rebellion
If Wishes Were Fishes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcom Chase
msg tools
mbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:

Wow, it's gonna take me a little while to check each of these out. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Kingsburg: To Forge a Realm expansion has a module with characters with different powers.

The faction packs for Alien Frontiers also offer different player abilities as well as orbital facilities.

In Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar you start with different resources and soon you are pursuing different strategies.

Champions of Midgard has variable player powers.

These games are all good but I never felt they were particularly engine building but you can look at them and decide for yourself.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcom Chase
msg tools
mbmbmb
Qalor wrote:
Regarding Imperial Settlers, I think you guys might well enjoy it.
There can be some ways of burning other people's buildings, but when I've played it doesn't tend to happen very often at all. And the engine building is absolutely there.

Good to hear it's not that prevalent. And given that your faction's buildings are not legal targets for attacks, I guess it's possible to create an engine that cannot be destroyed.

Thanks!

cafin8d wrote:
You might be surprised at what ends up working for you, there have been a few games I ended up loving after being sure I wouldn't (and vice-versa), but it sure is expensive to research that way if you don't have an easy way to try games out first.

Yeah, sadly, we don't have that many people interested in board games around. And those that are are focused on Magic the Gathering (don't get me wrong, I love the game), so we don't have much gaming variety offered to us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcom Chase
msg tools
mbmbmb
jhaimowitz wrote:
The Kingsburg: To Forge a Realm expansion has a module with characters with different powers.

The faction packs for Alien Frontiers also offer different player abilities as well as orbital facilities.

In Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar you start with different resources and soon you are pursuing different strategies.

These games are all good but I never felt they were particularly engine building.

Yeah, Variable Player Powers and Engine Building don't come together that often. Too bad, because I can play almost anything as long as I get to pick a character/faction at the start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.