Subject: Crime wave or Basegame? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new for this game and wonder if should I start with Crime wave or the Base game?

And does it make sense to take base game in addition to Crime wave or abduction expansions are more wise choice?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
yury1975 wrote:
I'm new for this game and wonder if should I start with Crime wave or the Base game?

And does it make sense to take base game in addition to Crime wave or abduction expansions are more wise choice?

Thanks.

Might as well get it all now - you WILL want it.

Makes sense to pay for shipping once, doesn't it.

Seriously - you will want all the content, I have no doubt.

If you only can buy one - buy Crime Wave. But you will want it all.

Just the fact that you are considering it. Get it now. Save the shipping costs while you can.

OSG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre C
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was going to write about this sooner or later, but I think you get a lot more bang for buck by going with original HN base and HN: Crime Wave purchased together, as opposed to buying one of the bases with the abductor packs. However, the abductor packs are where the game really stretches the game in different ways and you will eventually want those too.

As to whether getting original HN base vs HN: Crime Wave base is better that is where I have a little bit more trouble making that call. Necessarily, since Crime Wave is also a base set and not an expansion, there is some overlap in the Conversation Cards and the Terror Cards. But what is different are some Conversation Cards that are available in one and not the other. Fortunately, you won't notice if you only buy one or the other, but if/when you have both, you'll find yourself saying, "if only I had chosen that conversation card from the other deck." And I don't see it as an artificial constraint, although I guess it can be seen that way. It does allow you to change your approach from the get go, depending on your style of hopefully deescalating the situation. And certain abductors will force you to change up your style in ways that you may not have thought before. What works against one abductor does not universally work for all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
any ks exclusives? I hope not. budget is pressed enough already

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe F.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
B Wumpus wrote:

Yes, some meeples, for aesthetics, so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nordiska wrote:
B Wumpus wrote:

Yes, some meeples, for aesthetics, so far.
Note that they specify that "KS exclusive" for this campaign really means "not available in retail" since they say they might/will sell them at conventions and through their website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone, particularly Pierre, for excellent and detailed answers.

Oldschoolgamr, your speech is very very persuasive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brua
United States
Ojai
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you use the older abductor packs (1-4) with the new Crime Wave set. Or do you have to have the original main game to play the original packs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
What Van Ryder Game are YOU playing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Boogus wrote:
Can you use the older abductor packs (1-4) with the new Crime Wave set. Or do you have to have the original main game to play the original packs?

Yes. Everything has been tested to be compatible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.