Popular Tags: [View All]
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully this isn't as stupid a question as it sounds. The prologue rules says the following about ending the game:
Welcome to SeaFall, p1 wrote:
Do not put out the target glory marker. The prologue ends after all prologue milestones have been reached. You will not do any end game upgrades.

Does this mean that the game ends "immediately after" the fourth milestone is resolved, or does the remainder of the round finish?

By contrast, the normal end of game is determined as follows:
SeaFall, p20 wrote:
The game ends when, at the end of the round, at least one player has reached or exceeded the target glory for the game. The province with the most glory wins. If there is a tie, the player with the least prominent title among tied parties wins the game.

The end trigger is only checked at the end of the rounds, so each player will have an equal number of turns. But for the prologue end trigger, it isn't clear whether or not the current round is completed. My current assumption is that the round completes, but ... I thought I'd check.

Why it could matter:
* One basic purpose of the prologue is to "seed" the islands with a few explored sites. If the round completes, this could mean as many as four additional sites explored.
* Another basic purpose of the prologue is to establish turn order in a merit-based way. If the round completes, the remaining players could gain glory, thus affecting the turn order for the "first" game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's likely that the events you read as part of the prologue will provide clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pishnery
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Slyght wrote:
It's likely that the events you read as part of the prologue will provide clarity.

Yeah, I think we should file this one under "play the game and see."

It will matter a bit, in the turn order and island sites, but I imagine that will only matter a little bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If we get the official response that "the end-game conditions will be given by the milestones, but we're not going to tell you what they are before you read them", then I'd be ok with that. But short of that, I can't help but reject a "wait, and trust that the Legacy system will explain everything" in a case like this where is appears as though there a rule that was meant to be included is ambiguous. Consider:

If we assume that the rule is clarified (presumably in entry 404 in the Captain's Booke), then we have these possible outcomes:
1) The milestone entry defines the end-game conditions, in which case there's no issue.
2) The milestone entry doesn't define the end-game conditions, in which case we don't know how to end the game and have to make a house rule on the fly at a time in which the players may well have a vested interest in the outcome. Problem!

I don't see how this "wait and see" option is better than a "try to get a clarification of the rule" option, which would lead us to these possible outcomes:
1) The milestone reinforces the clarified rule, in which case there's no issue.
2) The milestone doesn't define the end-game conditions, in which case there's no issue (due to the rule clarification).
3) The milestone changes the end-game conditions, which is something I would expect to happen from time to time in a legacy game -- so again, no issue.

I prefer the latter outcome set.

As to how major or minor this could be, I'm currently expecting to see around 5-8 sites explored at the point the last prologue milestone is resolved (and that high end may be optimistic). If the first player happens to get the last milestone (worst-case scenario, about 20% likelihood), the difference between the game ending immediately vs the end of the round could increase this number by as much as 4 sites, depending on a number of factors including luck with rolls. That could mean (for example) the difference between having 7 vs 10 goods available for the first year of game 1, which is not insignificant in terms of driving game 1 strategy (especially combined with the lower number of "easy" exploration sites available). In addition, glory scores for the remaining players could increase by 1-2 points depending on the ruling, too, and that difference could drive turn order for game 1.

In any case, neither option is bad; all I'm hoping for is clarity as to which to use. If we don't get that between now and the first game, then we'll have to house rule it before the prologue starts (my vote will probably be "finish the round"), so we have a default option in place in case the milestone doesn't specify.

I'd prefer to have an official default, though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
Hopefully this isn't as stupid a question as it sounds. The prologue rules says the following about ending the game:

Does this mean that the game ends "immediately after" the fourth milestone is resolved, or does the remainder of the round finish?

Immediately after. But it doesn't really matter. Setting seating order for game 1 is fairly inconsequential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RobDaviau wrote:
Becq wrote:

Immediately after. But it doesn't really matter. Setting seating order for game 1 is fairly inconsequential.

Thanks for the answer!

I imagine it is relatively inconsequential in the long run, but it seems as though getting "first dibs" on nearby goods might be something of an advantage. I look forward to finding out...

Also, link added to the rules compilation thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.