Hide
4 Posts

Shadowstar Corsairs» Forums » Rules

Subject: Playing cards in combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Baldy Pat
msg tools
Is the only restriction to playing a card in combat that of resource level? My understanding is that it does not cost a resource action to play the card, you can play it as long as your resource level is equall to or greater than that printed on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Maertz
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Correct

Wakrob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Lindvall
United States
Bismarck
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have that right, which is one of my quibbles with the game. Combat cards have the reputation points on them as well as the cards that have to be played out of combat. Combat doesn't take an action to get into, so it lets you play cards without having to spend an action, and get more points.

It seems unbalanced at first glance.. but then I realized that it encourages combat, as you want to get your cards played perhaps even more than destroying an enemy ship or anything like that. A faster path to victory would be to make sure you're getting to play both combat and non combat cards as often as possible.

Seems to be in the spirit of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wolfe
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
JumboCactaur wrote:
A faster path to victory would be to make sure you're getting to play both combat and non combat cards as often as possible.

That is my intent at least, though different groups can have very different feelings about direct player conflict. You do have to work to get the cards first, and keep in mind that the defender may also be hoping for a fight so they can increase their reputation as well. You don't want to attack someone and end up helping them more than you help yourself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.