Stephen Brandt
msg tools
Hello, this is my first ever post on this site so I do hope I'm using the correct forum here. I have never played this game, but am a growing fan of both Sherlock Holmes and board games, so I'm sure this game will make its way to the collection. My fiance also enjoys these things, which is important for an idea I've come up with. During our honeymoon (not until June '17), part of our trip will include 4-5 days in London. I was thinking that it would be a really great experience if we played through one, or, time-permitting, two cases from this game while we were there. What I mean by this is if we were to follow a lead in a different part of the city in the game, we would do so in real life, hopping on the tube to the appropriate part of the city before we could continue our line of investigation. In this way, the game would be a vehicle for a broader expansion of London (I've never been, she has once several years ago). This could be 1 day of our stay, or perhaps less concentrated and broken up over the course of our 4-5 day stay, I haven't thought too much about that.

Having never played this game, I have a few questions for the community.
1) Is there a reason why this would be a bad idea/tiresome/not fun? (before you answer that, the future wifey is on the record as thinking this would be fun)
2) Is there a case (or two) that you would recommend? I'm thinking a case that is difficult and interesting and that would also have us exploring the city, perhaps areas we wouldn't see otherwise.
---*is it important at all to do cases in order? If so, if case 4 for example was suggested to be the best case for this scenario, how important would it be to do cases 1-3 prior to the honeymoon?
3) Does anyone have any other fun or interesting ideas to incorporate into this experience? Or (getting a little off topic here) other recommendations for how to spend our time in London. Also, FYI for both game and non-game purposes we would be willing to travel slightly outside the city to surrounding areas (not sure that is relevant to SHCD since it includes a map only of London but wanted to throw that out there in case).

Thanks for your time and suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Neale
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few quick thoughts that may help you:

First, this could be fun, but might also be hard. I suppose the travel time would give you time to discuss the case, which is very useful, so maybe that could help you solve it. But remember you will have a case book, directory, map, list of allies and multiple newspapers (unless you do case 1 in which case you'll have 1 newspaper). It won't be very easy to look at all that on the underground. You will need a space to go to regularly - maybe into a pub or cafe? - to be able to look through the case materials. Also, it may be distracting trying to do 2 things at once - i.e. sightseeing and case solving. I can imagine if I did it I might want to get on with the case and not be bothered about the sightseeing, or vice versa.

An alternative would be to play the case and then visit the places from it afterwards.

Also, not many of the cases include the main tourist sites. Most of the time you would be visiting a random street, and one that probably looks very different to how it looked in the late 1800s.

This is what I recommend you do:

1. At a minimum, play case 1 in advance. That will give you an better sense of what your idea would be like. Imagine travelling to each place (and often just finding a normal, modern street) and think about how much you'd enjoy it. See how many paper materials there are and think about how you'd manage those.

2. If you decide you want to go ahead with it, I recommend the following case as it will send you to at least one interesting place (case name in spoiler box just in case people consider that fact a spoiler!):

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Lionized Lions

There may be better cases for your idea but it has been some time since I played them so I'm not sure.

3. You should get the new version of the game, or, even better, wait for the re-release later this year. Or buy the new standalone box with the jack the ripper expansion and explore Whitechapel.

And while in London you could take a look at the Sherlock Holmes statue and Sherlock Holmes museum (though I've heard it's not great and a bit overpriced) on Baker Street.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Clifton Park
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SwanseaStephen wrote:
I was thinking that it would be a really great experience if we played through one, or, time-permitting, two cases from this game while we were there. What I mean by this is if we were to follow a lead in a different part of the city in the game, we would do so in real life, hopping on the tube to the appropriate part of the city before we could continue our line of investigation.

Sooo jealous! Whatever you end up doing, have an awesome time.

Your description of playing out the game in real life, made me think of:

Gus & Co (Yann Gentil is part of) puts on a live Sherlock Holmes experience each year in Geneva Switzerland.

I realize this is not the same as what you hope to do, but very similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was in London there was a walking tour based on Sherlock Holmes (and other themes also). I recommend it if it is still available. That way you will see the major places in the stories that are in London. I would recommend doing this first if you really like Sherlock Holmes. Obviously, best done on a day and time without rain.

I also recommend to play at least one of the cases ahead of time, so you can see how they work.

I recommend a few things to consider when you play:
1) Do not try to beat Sherlock in points, just try to solve the mystery.
2) Play cooperatively as a team and not competitively.
3) The goal is to solve the case, take as many clues as needed to be confident in your solution.
4) If you need a hint besides the helpers available, take a peek at one or more of the questions following the story and before the answers to the questions and the solution.
5) Realize there will be red herrings and other things going on besides the main mystery you are trying to solve.

Also, you should know that the map in the game is based on London about 1890, so London 2016 will have many changes. Also, while the main places will be the same, some of the common places on the game map change in meaning based on the scenario.

I think it would be a challenge to play the game while riding the "tube". Of course, it's your honeymoon, so do what you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.