Hide
10 Posts

Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection» Forums » Rules

Subject: At least half Regulars rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Razler
msg tools
Are underground Militia/War Parties taken into account when determining if half the attacking or defending force are Regulars?

For example, if the French are attacking (Pats paid)and have 2 Regulars, 2 Continentals, and 1 Underground Militia do they have half Regulars or would then need a third French Regular?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Buchanan
United States
RSF
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
razlerja wrote:
Are underground Militia/War Parties taken into account when determining if half the attacking or defending force are Regulars?

For example, if the French are attacking (Pats paid)and have 2 Regulars, 2 Continentals, and 1 Underground Militia do they have half Regulars or would then need a third French Regular?

Include all the Faction's pieces including underground Militia. In your example the French would need another Regular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Lawrence
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
If this is true then the battle example in the rulebook is wrong.

5 British regulars
2 Tories
4 War parties

Example shows the British get the regular bonus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Razler
msg tools
hankhankhank wrote:
razlerja wrote:

Include all the Faction's pieces including underground Militia. In your example the French would need another Regular.

So, then does "Attacking/Defending Pieces" as stated in 3.6.5/3.6.6 also include forts and villages, which do not otherwise attack?

Ex: 4 Regulars + 4 Tories + 1 Village in a space attacking Pat units would not have at least 1/2 Regulars? Same if n+ Underground units?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
longball wrote:
If this is true then the battle example in the rulebook is wrong.

5 British regulars
2 Tories
4 War parties

Example shows the British get the regular bonus

Looking over the example, I think it goes this way:

5 British Regulars + 2 Tories + 2 Active War Parties + 1 Underground War Party are attacking, giving 5 Regulars to 5 non-regulars. Thus half the units are regulars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Razler
msg tools
So, if there were additional underground War Parties beyond the one needed for the bonus, they would not be counted against the "at least half" calculation? Sounds right.

Also, forts and villages when their side is attacking would likewise not count?

Any others have thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Buchanan
United States
RSF
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the interest of making this modifier easier to apply I am changing it to:

"At least half Attacking Cubes are Regulars (if any).... +1"

OR

"At least half Defending Cubes are Regulars (if any).... +1"

This will take effect in the reprint and incorporated immediately in the living rules - which you should see soon.

HB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Razler
msg tools
Just so I understand it clearly, then...

An "attacking" piece is actively involved in affecting the battle in some way. So, for example, villages or excess underground units would not apply. Correct?

EDIT: Ah, strike that. I see... Now limited to "cubes". OK - that does simplify it greatly.

BTW - thanks, Harold, for taking such an active involvement in answering all of our questions. Your interaction make this game quite enjoyable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Buchanan
United States
RSF
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
razlerja wrote:

BTW - thanks, Harold, for taking such an active involvement in answering all of our questions. Your interaction make this game quite enjoyable!

Hey John

Thanks for your involvement - it enables me to make changes to make the game more playable and reduce misunderstanding. I also appreciate your pragmatic and useful suggestions on other LoD threads ;-)

Hope you can come to the SD Historical Games Convention in November!

HB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Razler
msg tools
I think you might want to reconsider this.

I had a situation in which 1 Regular and 4 Active War Parties were defending in an attack. It didn't quite seem right to give them the +1 bonus for 1/2 defending "cubes" as regulars.

Perhaps "If 1/2 defending/attacking active units are Regulars then +1" would be better. That would include Tories, active WP, and active Militia being "lead" by Regulars, but would exclude underground units, forts, and villages which are passive participants in the battle. What I assume you wanted to do was give a bonus for the presence of the more disciplined and professionally trained Regulars being a substantial portion of the actively engaged troops. I think this change would do that nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.