Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Mare Nostrum: Empires» Forums » General

Subject: It's all gone quiet rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Rush
United Kingdom
Port Talbot
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think moving pictures speak more than words


4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
Scythe


Only played Scythe once and MNE twice, and I think I like MNE better.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played it once with 4 players.
At least 2 of us played poorly, we didn't create enough pressure on the south of the Mediterranean and the Cartaginian won by building the pyramids.

Seeing the potential game length and the complexity, I don't think I will play it more than once each 2-3 months ...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
Hahma wrote:
Scythe


Only played Scythe once and MNE twice, and I think I like MNE better.


They are different enough, and I own both.

What I meant about Scythe, is that perhaps a lot of other people got both. MNE was delivered late and Scythe was delivered early, so there wasn't much time between deliveries. So perhaps people have been playing Scythe more now since it's the newer of the two.

I've only gotten to play MNE once, but have played Scythe 10 times ( including 3 solo games).

So hopefully MNE will pick up again, but then again, my buddy recently got the new version of Dead of Winter, so I'll be playing that tonight. Then GenCon is just around the corner.

The delay of MNE may have cost it some playtime and buzz.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rush
United Kingdom
Port Talbot
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
Hahma wrote:
Scythe


Only played Scythe once and MNE twice, and I think I like MNE better.


It's a shame then that only a few have their copy of the game, maybe if everyone had received their copies at roughly the same time the forums would be alive with the buzz of this game like scythe.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also this factor...

MNE- 6,937 backers
Scythe- 17,739 backers
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Shone
Australia
Glenroy
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
Also a factor, is its late or non arrival in many countries (so far).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:
I have played it once with 4 players.
At least 2 of us played poorly, we didn't create enough pressure on the south of the Mediterranean and the Cartaginian won by building the pyramids.

Seeing the potential game length and the complexity, I don't think I will play it more than once each 2-3 months ...


I wouldn't let your first play dissuade you. After the first play, it speeds up tremendously. I really don't think it's an especially complex or long game. Scythe is more complex and long, I think.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
What I meant about Scythe, is that perhaps a lot of other people got both. MNE was delivered late and Scythe was delivered early, so there wasn't much time between deliveries.

I still haven't received either of them .. cry
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
Xahendir wrote:
I have played it once with 4 players.
At least 2 of us played poorly, we didn't create enough pressure on the south of the Mediterranean and the Cartaginian won by building the pyramids.

Seeing the potential game length and the complexity, I don't think I will play it more than once each 2-3 months ...


I wouldn't let your first play dissuade you. After the first play, it speeds up tremendously. I really don't think it's an especially complex or long game. Scythe is more complex and long, I think.


I'm not dissuaded but I can count the friends I can play this game with on the fingers of one hand and as they enjoy diversity, it will take so time to make them play again.

In the other hand I'm in a weekly boardgame group and at least one other member have the game so it increases my chances to play it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh I've now played both, and personally enjoy MNE (the one I own myself) much more, but its a matter of taste. After 10 plays with 7 of the 8 possible player/empire combinations, my pals love MNE too. And we haven't even tried the three Legendary City modules yet! I've done three plays of Scythe so far.

Its only gone quiet around here because people are away for July vacations...

As for GenCon, the youtube videos with previews and reviews are just coming out now. I'm looking at Cry Havoc and Star Trek Ascendancy, and a pal attending will get them for me there if possible.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've now played neither of them. Because they haven't arrived yet. Sucks to be an EU backer.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quiet, because for many of us there's nothing to talk about yet.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul troke
United Kingdom
hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
The Beatles Live at the BBC
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard
i'm surprised you haven't received scythe yet, i received my copy
two weeks ago so maybe you should chase them up see what's happening
Still waiting for Mare Nostrum although they did say by the end of July
so still a few days to go
Good Luck
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh Well, now that you've left the CE, you could always join the USA, and get your board games faster...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treacherous Cretin
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
arrrh Well, now that you've left the CE, you could always join the USA, and get your board games faster...



You know nothing
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whistle That may well be, old chap. But my English grandfather who served in British Military Intelligence during WWI, and his brother who fought with the Royal Navy in the Battle of Jutland, knew a few things.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul troke
United Kingdom
hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
The Beatles Live at the BBC
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes now we've voted to leave the united states of europe
although nothing has been done officially about that
it's unlikely we'll join the united states of america although
at least we all speak the same language to a degree, you just have to improve your spelling a tad.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

"The Scotch and the Irish bring you close to tears,
"While in America, they haven't used it for years."
--Henry Higgins, My Fair Lady

laugh I specialize in translating between English and American.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So you specialise??

I don't think they use a zed there.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.