Joakim Schön
Sweden
Huskvarna
Sverige
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Session Report of Sherlock Holmes Case 1

SPOILER ALERT!!

Began to read the newspaper, and read about: The you can invest 2000 punds in machine. A Ear-ring lost. Robbary at daytime at Garrard juvels.
That Emile Zobar does things involving weapons. A French man strangled by vigorous guy. And that the De Vries diamonds still are missing.

1. Went to Bishop's Finger Inn where Allen had a meeting the evening before he was murded. The owner tells that Allen 10 times booked a room for dinner, between 5 jan and 8 mars. And was eating with a woman with long coat. Elegant Lady, beutiful with long blond hair from middle europe. The lady had a teardrop-shaped earring that she droped. Long man with mustasch and stoneface was watching them all the times. In today's paper there was someone at Cadogan Street asking for that earring.

2. Went to Cadogan Streen 51SW, there lives count Schulenberg. A mustasch man servant is opening the door. He talkes German-ish. Schulenberg is short and thick, but not strong. He is drinking, and smokes B&H cigarettes. A cold person. Owns Krupp weapon company. Knows that Grant Arms did working on a new weapon for the army. He present his wife, a tall long haired blond, but is she really his wife? The evening of the murder he was home at Guerra, the spanish military.

3. I visit Guerra. He has 3 dauthers. He celebrating their wedding day that evening with 30 guests. Schulenberg and his wife came last, 8:30.

4. Try to get Egan.

5. Egan tells that Allan had made a new type of Canon, project 10. Shows me a telegram: "Meet me at your office 8:30. No guard. Stay to 10." Another worker on the weapon was Camps, that often meet the french Emile Zobar (member of Sociéte Bacri Fréres).

6. At Zobars home, he is smoking a B&H cigar. Evening of the murder he was at Simpsons played one game of chess. His brother hates englishmen. The housekeeper are talking to Lady Hilda Hope.

7. Visit Lady Hope, it is about a love story. But she lives very close to the killing scen.

8. We go to the murder place, and finds in a shed a B&H cigarettebutt, squashed evenly around. We got to know that Allen had talk about spys with lord Ragland.

9. Lord Ragland smokes B&H cigars at home. He says that Allen thought that Camp was a spy. He had planned to go to his office that evening but had to work over, he says.

10. At Simpsons they tell me the cigars is called Benson & Hedges, and that Zobar played chess with Alfie that evening, and the game began at 9:04 PM and ended at 11:14 PM.

11. I visit Times. Ellis think it is a Russian or a French behind the shooting.

12. At Spaniards Inn the owner say two guys with F.M. (Filip Mishkin & Federigo Mariano) booked private room that evening. Mishkin, a big limping man, had company with a 30 years old englishman (=Ragland?), both had identical briefcases.

13. Visit B&H and get the list of guys smoking it: Among then Schulenberg, Zobar and Camp.

14. At the french ambassy they react then I ask about Camp (Mr Rich). Paul Zobars dauther is there.

15. Camp has a cold. Bad temper. Evening of the murder he meet Annette Zobar at Rules. Camp say he doesn't smoke, but gav B&H cigaretts to Emile.

16. At Rules they say that Camp came to the restaurant at 7 and leaved at 10.

17. Visit the stock exchange. Richard Allen tells me that Raffertys pappers will go under, and the Stevensons Iron as well, but that Ragland had made big investments in both.

18. At Raglands office we see that he did invest 5000 punds in those companies. At Camps office is a cigar box and a photo of Annette with Notre Dame in the background. Kehoe tells that Ragland wasn't there on the 9th mars when Mr Allen was there and stayed at Raglands office for a while.

19. Meet Mycroft at Diogenes club. He say that Schulenbergs "wife" is Freda Rudel.

20. At Drummonds we see that Ragland has gotten 5000 punds, six times this year.

My conclusion: Allen got money from Freda Rudel, who will buy the prints of the canon for Schulenberg, at there meetings. Allen has giving those money to Ragland to try to save him. Ragland has used the money to pay he's dept and invest in companies. Emile Zobar want to stop Schulenberg from getting the blueprints. So he kills Allen, and hides at Lady Hilda Hopes home, that is close to the murder place. Zobar is not that good of a shooter, so he needed to stand close to the victim.

Questions.
1. Killer? Emile Zobar.
2. Because Allen sold the blueprints to Schulenberg.
3. Allen then gave the money to Ragland that gave them to Filip Mishkin.
4. Camps visited the ambassy to his girlfriend Annette.

Sherlock Holmes solved this in 4(!) rounds. I didn't solve this is 20 rounds.

It was Ragland how killed him, because Allen was on the way to tell Egan that Ragland sold the blue prints to Fjordor Meshkoff.

My commentaries: The story told very little about Meshkoff. The paper told us that Meshkoff got a tomato in the head, after a demostration. But not much more. Too hard to solve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I were able to solve this and beat Holmes. Our biggest misstep was not visiting the scene of the crime first because we were trying to be clever. The advantage of following wrong paths is that you learn the answers to the extra questions.

My wife and I find this to be a very satisfying 2'player experience and enjoy them discussions/debates we have.

Good luck with your next case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Huskvarna
Sverige
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you guess/know that the weapon was sold to Meshkoff?

How many turns did you need?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while and I've tossed my notes.

I think it took us 9 turn or around there (3 or 4 of which turned out to be the "free" ones). I'm pretty sure we knew the weapon was sold to Meshkoff.

While the game can be played solo, I really think that there are huge benefits to playing with others who might think a bit differently than you. Two seems perfect but I could definitely see playing this with other less-gamerly friends as an evening's activity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.