Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Fast-playing games with a variety of strategies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alt B
msg tools
I am looking for some new games to play with my group. We play all types of games, but we tend to end up playing games on the lighter side of the spectrum that play fast, but still have a variety of strategies and some replayability. The best example of a game like this that we play is probably Dominion. A few others that get played a lot are 7 Wonders, Dice Town, and Love Letter. The game would need to support 4+ players. I am not necessarily looking for other deckbuilding games like Dominion, in fact something different would be preferred.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Via Nebula. Very nice game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my group thats at that same game level liked:
Alhambra - longer than dominion but game kept moving at a faster pace that was liked
Carcassonne - my go-to game, I recommend it nearly every time I can
King of Tokyo - a simple game thats short and sweet.
Revolution! - you would have to buy an expan to play more than 4 (max is 6 then) but I like this one too. Its a simultaneous blind bidding game so you dont have to wait for each person to take their turn. Rules arnt too complicated but I have found that my friends ether liked it or not, there was no middle ground so try to watch some gameplay or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
Race for the Galaxy (plays 2-4) is an obvious choice for me. Once you're up and running it plays very swiftly (leaves you wishing you had a few more turns) and has quite a breadth of strategies available to you. What helps make it such a quick game is the simultaneous action selection (a mechanic that 7 Wonders shares) which really helps move the game along quickly and there's very little down time.

Some people find the learning curve quite steep but the iconography is no worse than 7 Wonders in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
Race for the Galaxy (plays 2-4) is an obvious choice for me.

Whilst I agree with everything you've said (well other than the comparison to 7 Wonders which I've not played) there's a couple of reason why RftG might not be ideal:

1. It's not just the iconography that takes a few games to get to grips with, it's also the action selection, the paying with cards and the relatively large number of unique card in the game.

2. An expansion is required if you want to play with more than 4. AA is the best option for new players if you want to play with 5. If you want to play with 6 you need TGS & RvI which is a bit more complex and obviously buying 2 expansions adds to the cost and learning curve.

3. It's probably easier to learn with fewer players

It is one of my favourite games, is short and does have a variety of strategies so I'd certainly recommend looking at it.

racepics.tk for card images, the rules from RGG or BGG and potentially downloading Keldon's AI are worth looking at if you're interested. (Though don't play Keldon's AI extensively if you want your friends to be willing to play you!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Cohn
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Recently, I've played Vikings a few times and enjoyed it. It lasts about 45 min. plays 2-4.

Same for Nations: The Dice Game.

Pandemic is always a nice change of pace, as long as everyone can work together to avoid the alpha player issue. Plays 2-5.

Tichu is fabulous with exactly 4 players. Classic and intense.

I'll also chime in that Race for the Galaxy is great. Takes a few plays to get into it, but worth it. I will say that I prefer the game with only 2 players, but more is still fun.

Some slightly smaller games (all super-easy to learn, all play in about 15-20 min) that are worth looking into:

I love Can't Stop as a filler. Best push your luck game ever. Plays 2-4.

No Thanks! is a great little game. Thinky. Push your opponents. Plays 3-5.

Qwixx is a cool little dice game. Surprisingly replayable and has harder decisions than you'd think. Plays 2-5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hibbert
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be worth checking out Codenames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotta
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fast-playing, light and multiple strategies made me think immediately of Port Royal. Very addictive and works well for 2-5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alt B
msg tools
Thanks for the replies everyone, great suggestions! I am going to do some research and pick a few out.

Another quick question: I came across Splendor in my own searching, do you think that game would fit the bill too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Cohn
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Splendor is OK. Gets dull after a few plays. Choices feel a little dull most of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
I had a couple of games of Splendor; quite enjoyed it but not sure whether I actually want to splash out and buy the game myself. I think it has a fair degree of replay-ability and varied strategies though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Red7
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew VanSpronsen
Canada
Kitchener
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Via Nebula and I will add Council of Four and World Fair 1893. All great, quick playing games with plenty of decisions to make and paths to explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Meeple
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No one mentioned Mage Knight? Best game EVAR

What's with Hanabi and +1 for Tichu, a perfect card game!
Oh and coop, euro or AT?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hibbert
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AltB wrote:
Another quick question: I came across Splendor in my own searching, do you think that game would fit the bill too?

Splendor only plays 4, so that won't meet your 4+ requirement. It's a solid game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.