Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the video the four initial scenarios seem to be:

Escape from Innsmouth 4/5 difficulty
Rising Tide 3/5 difficulty
Cycle of Eternity 2/5 difficulty
Shattered [something - Boards?] 5/5 difficulty.

I wonder if the model will be to release free or micro transaction priced scenarios for the base set. With a $99 msrp I hope they throw in new scenarios occasionally, or that the four scenarios are truly replayable.

Our group really only likes to play each Descent scenario twice as the exploration aspect and novelty (story) of each scenario are the driving forces of our enjoyment, not the pursuit of perfect tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Roberts
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Wow a way to do micro transactions in board games (I don't mean expansions)...think you nailed it! They might have cracked the grail with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Though I like MoM I didn't think that the individual scenarios had a lot of legs if played with the same group or within a short time span. Maybe the app can rectify that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you link the video you reference? It isn't on FFG's YouTube account.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shearer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
The expanded information about the scenarios says that there are multiple stories associated with each. The stories change a lot of elements of the scenarios, such as the placement of certain rooms, items and events. That should really help with replayability.

I am ridiculously excited about this. The Descent app moved that game from "pretty fun" to "one of the best games ever". This will do the same for Mansions of Madness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks promising (but so did the first edition). As long as you can play it solo and able to incorporate the first edition and expansions into the second edition, I may be tempted to buy this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Hammons
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:

The video is up on FFG's youtube channel and embedded in the announcement article. I tried linking here but I don't thing BGG likes it when I do that outside of the "video" section.

A couple other observations:

1. This is listed as MAD20 in their scheme naming scenario and the original game and expansions are still listed as awaiting reprint. I wonder if they will really be reprinted or if they just haven't been taken that down yet. It would be odd to have two editions of the game out simultaneously.
2. This is called the "Core Set" on their site - implying expansions which I'm sure exactly no one is surprised by.

@Dionysos - Agreed re Descent; Road to Legend is amazing. One differenc though is that I loved playing Keeper whereas I was merely "okay with" being Overlord.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
Looks promising (but so did the first edition). As long as you can play it solo and able to incorporate the first edition and expansions into the second edition, I may be tempted to buy this game.

Both solo and the incorporation of first edition base set and xpacs are confirmed on the FFG website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Hammons
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agatha Crane - Parapsychologist 5/9 After you resolve a horror check gain one clue.
Father Mateo - The Priest 6/8 Action: Another investigator within range becomes Focused. Activate this ability once per round.
Minh Thi Phan - The Secretary 7/7 Once per round you or another investigator within range may reroll 1 die while resolving a test.
William Yorick - The Gravedigger ?/? (looks a bit like Corey K.)
Preston Fairmont - The Millionaire 8/6 Once per round when you gain an Item you may flip 1 Horror facedown or disgard 1 facedown Horror.
Carson Sinclair - The Butler 8/6 Action: ?
Wendy Adams - Urchin 6/3 You cannot become Stunned or Restrained.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:

My money is on the app only taking the monster, tiles and investigators, but not the scenario/campaigns from the 1e. Like Road to Legend, I suspect all the scenarios will be new.

magicbus1966 wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:

The video is up on FFG's youtube channel and embedded in the announcement article. I tried linking here but I don't thing BGG likes it when I do that outside of the "video" section.

I watched the singular video I saw on their channel, but didn't see any of the details you picked out. In retrospect I guess you found those in a frozen frame, but at the time I thought their was a more descriptive video (one going into gameplay details).

'Tis all good, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

magicbus1966 wrote:

One differenc though is that I loved playing Keeper whereas I was merely "okay with" being Overlord.

Never played first edition, but am aware MM seemed to offer more hidden information in a scenario. Is that the difference that increased your enjoyment of playing the Keeper?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Hammons
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:

Never played first edition, but am aware MM seemed to offer more hidden information in a scenario. Is that the difference that increased your enjoyment of playing the Keeper?

That's a good question. I think it had more to do with the fact that win or lose as Keeper in MoM everyone still gets to enjoy an awesome story. In Descent and IA (which I've played a lot of, both as OL and hero), if the OL is winning a lot isn't much fun for all four heroes, and ultimately stops being satisfying for the OL as well. I think that really has to do with Descent/IA being a campaign though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Scott
Australia
EAST BRISBANE
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My experience of playing keeper in MoM vs overlord in descent is that in MoM I always felt more in control... Like a dungeon master in D&D. You feel like you are creating an atmosphere and weaving a story whereas in descent the overlord is more just an enemy and because it's well balanced (MoM is not!) you are sometimes just beaten to a pulp by the heroes in descent which can be a bit demoralising.

Also playing overlord in descent is a commitment for a full campaign. You do feel a bit excluded from the 'team' of heroes. In MoM you can all debrief equally after the game and because the keeper is a bit OP in most scenarios you have to hold back a bit, so it doesn't seem quite so adversarial. That's my 2 bob anyway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine the scenarios will unfold like a slightly more structured BatHotH. But longer and more terrifying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.