Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb

I took a pretty quick crack at these, so there might be room for improvements. Your comments and suggestions are welcome. Max and Furiosa may be a bit OP, but then again, they are legendary, so they should be quite strong. If they are too strong, then an easy fix is to just reduce the number of Action tokens everyone gets to begin with (with Max still getting an extra one).

Of course, the idea is to replace Bama with Immortan Joe and play as normal, as if this exists in a world where the events in Fury Road didn't happen, but these characters are still part of the scene (with Nux and Furiosa having turned against Immortan Joe).

Presumably, a more specific Fury Road scenario could be built, where the characters have to travel across the map with the Wives to find "The Green Place," and then return to the Citadel. I doubt I'd have time to put that together, though. But I do plan to give these characters a shot with a 3p solo game sometime soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cthulhu Hunter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The characters do seem a bit OP as you mentioned (and for obvious reasons BTW), but you really nailed the look of the Defenders cards. Outstanding! Can't wait to print them out and give them a try!

Thanks for sharing Eric!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Fish
United States
chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! I have been waiting for someone to make something similar Do you have a template you can upload where we can tweak the abilities in text as we play test them? Subscribed to the thread, please keep sharing your ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, here are the PSD files...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9oeem1vrjgm7zsp/Furiosa.psd?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2z4japs23e0b5gb/Immortan%20Joe.psd...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j4spvmjr6psdyu0/Max.psd?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xox39xxhkoslu1e/Nux.psd?dl=0

The fonts I used (which don't match the actual ones, but I think look good for this) are:
Digital-7 Mono Mono
Road Rage Regular
Arial Regular
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are some excellent looking character mock-ups Grunduza. Well done!

The Mad Max archetype is already embodied in the character of Jake. I know this because Richard Launius told me himself. I'm assuming Jake couldn't be Mad Max for copyright reasons and the thematic explanation that Max lives in Australia.

There's a request in the back of the DOTLS rulebook to clear the use of DOTLS assets with Jason Maxwell. I'm pretty sure it's not going to be a problem (ie - the answer to a request will be yes), but since there's already developed material Richard Launius would like to see published that didn't make it into the Kickstarter, I don't know if tons of fan content helps or hurts those projects at this point; so it's best to let Jason weigh in privately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding "Top Pursuit Man", maybe Max should give up a card or an artifact to use that ability, which would represent the gasoline chewed up by his car as he's racing around the Wasteland at top speed. Another possibility is powering the "Top Pursuit Man" ability with the use of a gasoline token which can only be renewed at Last Stand or by destroying an oil depot (Max steals the gas before blowing the place up). Placing a limit on the number of tokens Max can have at a given time represents the size of his gas tank.

You could make a supplementary ancient device "Gas Can" or "Larger Gas Tank" if there's a lot of custom characters that use the gasoline tokens that would allow them to carry more tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JASON MAXWELL
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OH MAN! These are great. Thanks. I'm printing them up for my game. -Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess Jason weighed in.

I'm used to having posted a lot of fan variant stuff for Arkham Horror and DOTR, so I assumed that would be okay for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
Regarding "Top Pursuit Man", maybe Max should give up a card or an artifact to use that ability, which would represent the gasoline chewed up by his car as he's racing around the Wasteland at top speed. Another possibility is powering the "Top Pursuit Man" ability with the use of a gasoline token which can only be renewed at Last Stand or by destroying an oil depot (Max steals the gas before blowing the place up). Placing a limit on the number of tokens Max can have at a given time represents the size of his gas tank.

You could make a supplementary ancient device "Gas Can" or "Larger Gas Tank" if there's a lot of custom characters that use the gasoline tokens that would allow them to carry more tokens.

Yeah, good thoughts on that. Nerfing that ability a little is probably necessary, though I think the -1 modifier helps a bit.

By contrast, I think Nux's Chroming ability might be too weak. Thematically, I like the idea of him taking a Wound each time he does that, but I'm not sure the benefits are quite strong enough to merit doing that, unless you're really desperate. Eh, maybe it's fine. Two dice and +1 are pretty great. Maybe 2 actions instead of 1, though?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm used to having posted a lot of fan variant stuff for Arkham Horror and DOTR, so I assumed that would be okay for this.

It's never good to rely on silence when there's specific instructions in the rulebook. The desired behavior was clearly spelled out on the last page of the manual.

Arkham Horror was published by Fantasy Flight Games and Defenders of the Realm was published by Eagle/Gryphon Games. Defenders of the Last Stand was published by 8th Summit. It's an entirely different publisher, so it would have been a good idea to check in. I'm glad Jason said "yes" to your implied request.

Good Job on those cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously people will be looking for characters. I've got Max and Furiosa covered on this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1404486/fury-road-inspir...

I like the Bombshell Miniatures Furiosa a bit better than Hasslefree Miniatures Furiosa. I don't know what's up with their Max (Oscar) figure either because it doesn't look Mel Gibson or Tom Hardy despite the outfit which is clearly Fury Road.

You can find Immortan Joe here: http://www.wildwestexodus.com/mercenary-dr-beitel-sidekick/

He'll need a little bit of clay work to expand the hair obviously.

I'm hopeful that Mad Robot Miniatures comes with a good Mad Max sculpt. Given their past history, I'd say it's highly likely there will be a head sprue featuring Mel and Tom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.