8 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few questions after 2nd game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henrik Jakobsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Just finished my 2nd game where I introduced the game to my 15 year old son. He played the Empire, and he did a fantastic job for a first game. And it was more luck than good play from my side that made it all end up in a rebel victory in turn 9. Before I list up my questions here is a short summary of major events in the game.

Mon Mothma failed her diplomatic mission to Utapau in the first round.
In the 2nd round after completing the "Base Defenses" mission (boosting rebel defenses on Dantoine) general Rieekan was captured.
In the 3rd round rebels prepared both "For the Greater Good" and "Daring Rescue" missions on captured general Rieekan, but the target of these missions was changed to Luke Skywalker as he was captured by Darth Vader earlier in this round after having attempted a mission. But both "For the Greater Good" and "Daring Rescue" failed due to poor dice rolls when both of us rolled a tons of dice due to multiple leaders present.
To make things worse Luke was "Lured to the dark side" on the following round, and despite opposing with first Mon Mothma and later Chewie to oppose a new capture attempt, Mon Mothma was captured as well, cripling rebel leadership.
An early construction of a new death star on Ilum which was also hurried throug by another imperial mission caused the rebel to use "Rapid Mobilization" to relocate their base to rebel loyal Ryloth very early.

At the start of final round the situation was as follows. Almost the entire map was under empire control and the probe deck was empty (maybe 1 or 2 cards left). So despite rebel base not being revealed its location was known to the empire.
With rebel base on a rebel loyal Ryloth, Geonosis was loyal to the empire but had just been occupied by the rebel fleet and 2 airspeeders following a major battle downing an ISD and 2 assault carriers loseing 2 corillean corvettes and some fighters (in addition to 2 airspeeders and some troppers lost in the ground battle against ATAT and ATST and some troppers).
Both Utapau and Rodia were subjugated and each system occupied with one super star destroyer, an assault carrier and some tie fighters as well as large ground forces.
Naboo was subjugated as well and contained a Death Star along with 6 TIE's, 2 assault carriers, 4 storm troopers and 4 ATAT.

The first rebel action of the final round was for Wedge Antiles to move the entire rebel fleet (3 Mon Cals, 2 corrilean corvettes, 5 xwings and 1 transport) from Geonosis to Naboo and attack the Death Star and its support forces. Despite the rebels not drawing any blocks to protect their fighters, the emperor was only able to destroy 4 of the 5 fighters allowing the rebels to destroy the the Death Star thanks to "Death Star Plans" and "One in a million" action card.
This ended the game due to the +2 advance in reputation, just before Lord Vader was about to use "Planetary Conquest" mission to land on the weakly defended rebel base on Ryloth. Only 2 airspeeders and 2 troops were present as I felt safe out of empire reach, since I had forgotten about this card. So most likely the empire would have won if the death star had not been destroyed.

The thematics of this game keeps impressing me, and I can't wait for my next play of this great game.

And now on to the questions:

1) Can you use the "Liberation" objective if a ground battle on a subjugated system results in all ground troops die at the "same" time (during same ground combat)? We assumed you could as the system was liberated, since the system was no longer subjugated due to lack of empire land troops present in the rebel loyal system.
2) Can you use the "One in a million" card to fix 2 of the 3 dice when using the "Death Star Plan" objective to destroy the death star?
3) When using the "One in a million" action card on missions or combat you use it prior to rolling dice? You cannot use it to change bad dice rolls?
4) You can only fulfill one objective per combat?
5) When playing "Rapid Mobilization" the assigned leader(s) are placed in the rebel base, and since the mission is resolved at the end of (after) the command phase this prevents movement of ships from the rebel base space for the remainder of the command phase since leader is present? If the rebel base was revealed would the leader(s) performing RM be placed in the system were the base was located?
6) If the "Scouting Mission" action card is used to place 4 TIE's in a rebel loyal system actually containing the hidden rebel base, the base is not revealed? And you can actually move rebel ships into or out of the rebel base without revealing it as the empire has no land units present?
7) Can the "Contingency Plan" mission be opposed as it does not say resolve/attempt or have a system you play it in? Off course the new starting mission the leader is assigned to can be opposed when it is resolved.

Thanks in advance for any help on the above questions
And sorry if these questions have been handled in other threads

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BartoloCentauri wrote:
1) Can you use the "Liberation" objective if a ground battle on a subjugated system results in all ground troops die at the "same" time (during same ground combat)? We assumed you could as the system was liberated, since the system was no longer subjugated due to lack of empire land troops present in the rebel loyal system.

The card says you must win the ground battle. The Combat (Winning a Battle) rules in the Rules Reference (RR) state that if both sides are wiped out simultaneously, neither side wins the battle. Thus, Liberation cannot be used, even though the system isn't subjugated any more.

BartoloCentauri wrote:
2) Can you use the "One in a million" card to fix 2 of the 3 dice when using the "Death Star Plan" objective to destroy the death star?

Yes. This is actually mentioned in the Death Star section of the RR.

BartoloCentauri wrote:
3) When using the "One in a million" action card on missions or combat you use it prior to rolling dice? You cannot use it to change bad dice rolls?

Yes. It is used instead of rolling the dice.

BartoloCentauri wrote:
4) You can only fulfill one objective per combat?

Yes.

BartoloCentauri wrote:
5) When playing "Rapid Mobilization" the assigned leader(s) are placed in the rebel base, and since the mission is resolved at the end of (after) the command phase this prevents movement of ships from the rebel base space for the remainder of the command phase since leader is present? If the rebel base was revealed would the leader(s) performing RM be placed in the system were the base was located?

Yes. When the base is revealed (or if you move the base with Rapid Mobilization), you place all units and leaders in the "Rebel Base" space into the base's system.

BartoloCentauri wrote:
6) If the "Scouting Mission" action card is used to place 4 TIE's in a rebel loyal system actually containing the hidden rebel base, the base is not revealed? And you can actually move rebel ships into or out of the rebel base without revealing it as the empire has no land units present?

Only ground units and Imperial loyalty force the Rebel base to be revealed.

BartoloCentauri wrote:
7) Can the "Contingency Plan" mission be opposed as it does not say resolve/attempt or have a system you play it in? Off course the new starting mission the leader is assigned to can be opposed when it is resolved.

It cannot be opposed. As you point out, there is nowhere for the Imperial leaders that would oppose to be placed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
mb
I'm a little curious about the "captured" Rebel leaders. How's General Rieekan captured when he was in a Rebel System? Did the Empire moved space unit or ground unit there afterward?

How did Luke get captured when Rieekan is not rescued. Is Rieekan Carbonited?

A loss of three leader to the Empire is quite a huge disadvantage for Rebel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
eunoia wrote:

It's possible that Luke was captured causing Rieekan to go free He doesn't necessarily have to have been rescued first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
mb
sigmazero13 wrote:
eunoia wrote:

It's possible that Luke was captured causing Rieekan to go free He doesn't necessarily have to have been rescued first.

Oh, did not realize the Imperial could just "switch" the captured ring. My bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Jakobsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Actually I think I remembered the mission order wrong and "Base Defenses" was played a bit later. Believe Rieekan was captured after a "Sabotage" mission to an Imperial system trying to make the empire use a leader and prevent movement from a system. Actually he did not fall for this trick. Instead he moved fleet, repaired sabotage and did the capture on succeeding missions. Quite sure we did not do anything wrong there, and he could have been captured the way you mentioned.
So my bad as well

Regarding Luke capture:
- Han solo was recruited as first leader after round 1.
- Chewie was recruited on start of round 2 using action card.
- Luke was recruited after round 2.
- Luke was used prior to rescue attempts on Rieekan trying to draw attention, and he sure did being captured on his first mission (despite Chewie opposing). So much for the force ;(
- "For the greater good" was attempted by Leia and Han, while the "Daring Rescue" was attempted by Jan Dodonna. So despite a lot of Intel dice in "the gathering" I managed to fail. I rolled 3 and 5 dice as we were not sure if Luke could use his 2 icons to aid in the rescue. With my rolls (only 1 success on the 2 attempts) vs. great empire rolls it would not have made a difference unless I made like 4 successes on the 2 extra dice.

This leads to a final question for now:
Could a captured Luke aid in a rescue attempt targeting himself, as I am not sure how to interpret the captured leader and the roll dice description on page 3 and 9 of the Rules Reference (oppose vs. aid own mission)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BartoloCentauri wrote:
This leads to a final question for now:
Could a captured Luke aid in a rescue attempt targeting himself, as I am not sure how to interpret the captured leader and the roll dice description on page 3 and 9 of the Rules Reference (oppose vs. aid own mission)?

Captured leaders only contribute their dice to missions that target them directly. Rescue missions target the system, so captured leaders don't aid in their own rescues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Jakobsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Super, then we did play that correct.

Thanks to all for helping out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.