Popular Tags: [View All]
Calvin Le Huray
Jersey
St. Johns
United Kingdom
msg tools
I like unusual themes.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have everything from the first Ed, and enjoy the game, even though it has its flaws.

My one problem with the second Ed is that FFG are expecting me to buy this game all over again; just so I can have an app to run the overlord role. Come on FFG give owners of the first Ed an upgrade kit so that we don't have to drop loads of money buying it again.

If I have to re-purchase the gameI might have to call it a day for MoM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That sound you hear is Taps being played. Lights out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kings
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eatshootsandleafs wrote:
I have everything from the first Ed, and enjoy the game, even though it has its flaws.

My one problem with the second Ed is that FFG are expecting me to buy this game all over again; just so I can have an app to run the overlord role. Come on FFG give owners of the first Ed an upgrade kit so that we don't have to drop loads of money buying it again.

I don't think FFG expects anything from you. Maybe that you enjoy the game you have?

Nobody is forcing you to buy it, enjoy your first edition copy and expansions.

And if somewhere along the line, you want to buy the second edition, the folks from FFG made sure you can use all your first edition stuff in the second edition. (Through an upgrade kit)

I think that is mighty fine of them. They could have just left it like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
eatshootsandleafs wrote:

Website mentions an upgrade kit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Extend The Experience

If you are no stranger to the investigations of Mansions of Madness and still in possession of the investigator minis, monster figures, and map tiles from the first edition of the game, you can incorporate them into the adventures featured in this edition. You do not need the conversion kit in order to play Mansions of Madness Second Edition, though its contents combined with the first edition components will greatly expand the possibilities within your game. The terrifying Dunwich Horror, the haunting Cthonian, and 15 other monsters from the first edition may linger to haunt you in the second. You may also make use of 16 additional investigators, by pairing the new cards with your existing figures in order to further customize your second edition investigative team. In order to use these first edition components, simply input which items you already have into the app, and the horrors within will haunt and expand your game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eatshootsandleafs wrote:

You can already use all of the 1E map tiles, investigators, and monsters in 2E, with an included conversion kit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Le Huray
Jersey
St. Johns
United Kingdom
msg tools
I like unusual themes.
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
eatshootsandleafs wrote:

Thank you Michael for the sensible reply. And understanding my point that, after such a big investment in a game, I am allowed to feel disappointed that a company might leave me high and dry.

Tim you seemed to miss my point that the first Ed is flawed, so all that wonderful fun you think first Ed owners are having is missed placed. I held onto my copy hoping FFG was going to rectify the situation and Michael has reassured me they have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kings
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't share your vision. And I gave you the correct answer to your "question".

But as far as I see it, you will still need to buy the second edition. Since it's mentioned everywhere that the upgrade kit comes with the game.

So, I hope for you that it will become available separately...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eatshootsandleafs wrote:
mfl134 wrote:
eatshootsandleafs wrote:

Thank you Michael for the sensible reply. And understanding my point that, after such a big investment in a game, I am allowed to feel disappointed that a company might leave me high and dry.

Tim you seemed to miss my point that the first Ed is flawed, so all that wonderful fun you think first Ed owners are having is missed placed. I held onto my copy hoping FFG was going to rectify the situation and Michael has reassured me they have.

Everybody in the hobby knows the deflated feeling you're experiencing, at least anybody that has been in it for a decade or longer. However, in this instance, I think FFG is doing something fairly remarkable:

1) They're making it so a portion of the 1e content can maintain usefulness (investigators, monster, and tiles, I believe, maybe more).

2) 2e is not app optional, it is FULL co-op -- no option for a Keeper. This means your 1e collection offers something 2e doesn't.

3) 1e expansion scenarios aren't likely to be in 2e anytime soon (or ever). Those will remain unique play options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
personally i think the main reason is that the app just cant work with the 1st edition tiles, due to the need to rethink the tiles layout for the random tile laying from the app.

the 1st edition tiles and miniatures are probably use in parts, akin to an expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Gloomhaven
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmb
eatshootsandleafs wrote:

You're misunderstanding. The "upgrade kit" doesn't "fix" 1st edition. Nor does it make 1st edition compatible with the app.

The upgrade kit is just new cards for the investigators from 1st edition. Then you can tell the App that you have 1st edition and it will include all the 1st edition investigators, tiles, monsters, etc when you play 2nd edition.

1st edition is dead. You can play it as is. Or you can play 2nd edition with or without the stuff from 1st. That's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
actmoon wrote:
personally i think the main reason is that the app just cant work with the 1st edition tiles, due to the need to rethink the tiles layout for the random tile laying from the app.

the 1st edition tiles and miniatures are probably use in parts, akin to an expansion.

Well, FFG did directly state:

FFG in the FAQ wrote:
Mansions of Madness Second Edition includes a conversion kit, which is designed to incorporate your first edition Mansions of Madness investigator figures, monster figures, and map tiles into the game. These additional components will significantly expand the app’s choices when generating maps and monsters, as well as the set of investigators from which you can choose.

So it appears the app can handle the tiles just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
Anarchosyn wrote:
actmoon wrote:

FFG in the FAQ wrote:
Mansions of Madness Second Edition includes a conversion kit, which is designed to incorporate your first edition Mansions of Madness investigator figures, monster figures, and map tiles into the game. These additional components will significantly expand the app’s choices when generating maps and monsters, as well as the set of investigators from which you can choose.

Yes it incorporates the tiles, just like descent app incorporates tiles from expansions. that doesnt mean that the old 1st edition tiles care viable for random tile placement that the 2nd edition is trying to achieve. of course all this is conjecture at this point, since we have no real idea of the contents yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reverse question, should I be buying the 1st edition or should I just get the 2nd edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
actmoon wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:
actmoon wrote:

FFG in the FAQ wrote:

Yes it incorporates the tiles, just like descent app incorporates tiles from expansions. that doesnt mean that the old 1st edition tiles care viable for random tile placement that the 2nd edition is trying to achieve. of course all this is conjecture at this point, since we have no real idea of the contents yet.

The map tiles from Mansion of Madness are more compatible to a random generator.

Side note: all core titles from Mansion of Madness still in the reprint queue in FFG site. Since the second edition has backward compatibility, I think they will keep producing the entire line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Gloomhaven
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmb
mfl134 wrote:
The reverse question, should I be buying the 1st edition or should I just get the 2nd edition?

Hard to tell. Since the 1E investigators will be useable with the upgrade kit, 2E newcomers will have cards but no minis for them. The new minis look better, so FFG may release a "upgraded 1E minis" eventually or possible even a 1E tiles/monsters expansion.

Or they may not, and the price for the OOP 1E stuff will gradually rise again.

There is really no way to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
actmoon wrote:

Yes it incorporates the tiles, just like descent app incorporates tiles from expansions.

Does Road to Legend incorporate the Descent expansion titles? I thought the maps were preset in the two campaigns.

Haven't played Road to Legend, but from the forum chatter I thought that was how they approached it.

*edit: just scanned this thread and it seems to confirm the tiles aren't used in the Descent app.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1575672/use-tiles-different...

Still, I only skimmed it. Maybe somebody says otherwise on a closer inspection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Soper
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still pissed they stopped making TV tubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
actmoon wrote:

Yes it incorporates the tiles, just like descent app incorporates tiles from expansions.

Does Road to Legend incorporate the Descent expansion titles? I thought the maps were preset in the two campaigns.

Haven't played Road to Legend, but from the forum chatter I thought that was how they approached it.

*edit: just scanned this thread and it seems to confirm the tiles aren't used in the Descent app.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1575672/use-tiles-different...

Still, I only skimmed it. Maybe somebody says otherwise on a closer inspection.

Old thread. The app use the expansions tiles in specific side quests and in others alternatives ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:

Primarily depends on if you prefer coop or "one vs. many". I also *think* apps are better values for the gameplay you get, although you won't get that expensive box air shipped to you anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eatshootsandleafs wrote:
mfl134 wrote:
eatshootsandleafs wrote:

It's not an investment. I own AGOT 1st edition, WOTR 1st edition, and many more. They are still great. It's one thing to hope for more content for our early editions.

It's quite another to feel entitled to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fed Aykin

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Clearly, get 2nd edition unless you prefer playing with a DM. You'll be up to date, can play co-op, and can still probably buy 1st ed later if you want it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Thornton
Australia
Edgeworth
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder what is included in the conversion kit. I assume it is a "must have" if I want to use the app with my 1st edition items.

It would be good if the app was compatible with owners of 1st edition only. For example. when loading the app I could choose what expansions and which version(s) of the game I own. By owning both editions I just have more options, but selecting 1st edition only is still a viable option.

One can dream. I'll probably end up getting the 2nd edition regardless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Scott
Australia
EAST BRISBANE
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm an owner of all 1ed stuff (except p&p missions) and am very happy with the announcement. The first edition was good fun and very thematic but had its issues - it was hard to get to the table and was fiddly as anything. the app should hopefully solve these issues (setup time in particular) and I'm overjoyed they are allowing integration of the old stuff!

From looking at the images it looks like the 2ed has new heroes and monsters so I'm not expecting much overlap - so I'm viewing the 2nd edition almost as a new big box co-op expansion. Love the integration of apps by FFG!

I wouldn't be surprised if they rerelease the 1ed stuff in 2nd edition format in the future...? They surely will as there are lots of classic HP Lovecraft monsters in there, but We shall see I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
Benzy311 wrote:
I wonder what is included in the conversion kit. I assume it is a "must have" if I want to use the app with my 1st edition items.

It would be good if the app was compatible with owners of 1st edition only. For example. when loading the app I could choose what expansions and which version(s) of the game I own. By owning both editions I just have more options, but selecting 1st edition only is still a viable option.

One can dream. I'll probably end up getting the 2nd edition regardless.

well technically the conversion kit is a "must have", bcos it actually comes together withe the 2nd edition.

"Can I combine this with my first edition of Mansions of Madness?

Mansions of Madness Second Edition includes a conversion kit, which is designed to incorporate your first edition Mansions of Madness investigator figures, monster figures, and map tiles into the game. " - from FFG product page
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.