$20.00
andy bush

London
London
msg tools
mb
Loving this game just having real difficulty getting my head around boiling down the CS ratios to fit the combat table.

Example - right now I have once force with a total CS of 16 v another force sat opposite with a CS of 6. How does that get boiled down? Is it 4:1 in favour of the defender? Or 2:1??

Im stuck - thanks in advance (especially if you have a handy method of working this out each time)

Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
buschenfeld wrote:
Example - right now I have once force with a total CS of 16 v another force sat opposite with a CS of 6. How does that get boiled down? Is it 4:1 in favour of the defender? Or 2:1??

Remember you round in favor of the defender (second sentence of 8.2), so if the attackers have 16 and the defenders have 6, that's 16:6, which is about 2.666:1, which rounds in the defender's favor to 2:1 (because the attacker has more than twice as much strength as the defender, but less than three times the strength).

I'm faster at multiplication than division, so I think I wind up doing it the other way: "the defender has 6; 6 times 3 is 18; the attacker has less than that, so it's not a 3:1; 6 times 2 is 12; the attacker has more than that, so it is a 2:1."

If you're really terrible at multiplication/division, you could make & print out a table which has the attacker's CS along the top, and the defender's CS along the side, and then crossreference the two to get the ratio. If that sounds appealing, you might ask about it in the wargaming forum, as someone's probably already made one which would work for this game. (Lots of wargames have this sort of CRT math--the main difference is going to be which ratios are in the CRT--some games have a 3:2 column, some don't; some games max out at 5:1, others at 7:1, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just keep it as simple as possible. If the ratio is 16:6, ask yourself: How many times does 6 go into 16? Twice. So you use the 2:1 column.

By ignoring any remainder, you are already rounding in favor of the defender.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy bush

London
London
msg tools
mb
Thanks chaps.

Bush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.