$20.00
$5.00
$15.00
Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about multiple undefended attacks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norman McCoy
msg tools
mb
Sorry if this has already been asked:

If I am engaged by two enemies and the attacks are undefended do I:

1. Total the attack value of both enemies and place it against a hero (treating it as a single undefended attack)

2. take the total of the first enemy and place it against a hero, then take the total of the second enemy and place it against a hero. (treating it as two separate undefended attacks)

I checked the rulebook and am a little unclear because it says "enemy's" and not "enemies' "

Thanks

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Separate, you aren't even thinking about the second enemy's attack procedure yet while finishing up the first one's.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's because regardless how many enemies are engaged with you, you go through combat with 1 enemy at a time. You choose which engaged enemy you want to go through combat with first. You play a shadow card, declare a (one) defender and assign any number of attackers. Then repeat for the next the enemy and remember you can use only unexhausted characters to defend and attack so plan out your combat for all enemies first.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman McCoy
msg tools
mb
Thank you both so much for taking the time to reply and not only answer the question but help me understand why. God bless
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
secoAce wrote:
You choose which engaged enemy you want to go through combat with first. You play a shadow card, declare a (one) defender and assign any number of attackers. Then repeat for the next the enemy


Correction: You resolve the shadow card(s) after declaring the defender (shadow cards are dealt at the start of the phase), and you don't declare attackers until after every enemy has had a chance to attack.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
secoAce wrote:
That's because regardless how many enemies are engaged with you, you go through combat with 1 enemy at a time. You choose which engaged enemy you want to go through combat with first. You play a shadow card, declare a (one) defender and assign any number of attackers. Then repeat for the next the enemy and remember you can use only unexhausted characters to defend and attack so plan out your combat for all enemies first.


I would strongly encourage you to reread the rules here. What you are describing is not how combat works in this game.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
secoAce wrote:
That's because regardless how many enemies are engaged with you, you go through combat with 1 enemy at a time. You choose which engaged enemy you want to go through combat with first. You play a shadow card, declare a (one) defender and assign any number of attackers. Then repeat for the next the enemy and remember you can use only unexhausted characters to defend and attack so plan out your combat for all enemies first.


I would strongly encourage you to reread the rules here. What you are describing is not how combat works in this game.


What part are you in disagreement with?
Re-reading my answer, I can see how my combined combat steps written as a single statement may sound like you do everything in a single step, but I thought to spare readers from a long a long detailed post re-writing all the combat steps especially since the OP question was about how to navigate multiple enemies and not about the steps within combat. But I can see how the over-simplified brevity might confuse those not as familiar with the rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
secoAce wrote:
jdludlow wrote:
secoAce wrote:
That's because regardless how many enemies are engaged with you, you go through combat with 1 enemy at a time. You choose which engaged enemy you want to go through combat with first. You play a shadow card, declare a (one) defender and assign any number of attackers. Then repeat for the next the enemy and remember you can use only unexhausted characters to defend and attack so plan out your combat for all enemies first.


I would strongly encourage you to reread the rules here. What you are describing is not how combat works in this game.


What part are you in disagreement with?
Re-reading my answer, I can see how my combined combat steps written as a single statement may sound like you do everything in a single step, but I thought to spare readers from a long a long detailed post re-writing all the combat steps especially since the OP question was about how to navigate multiple enemies and not about the steps within combat. But I can see how the over-simplified brevity might confuse those not as familiar with the rules.


secoAce wrote:
You play a shadow card, declare a (one) defender and assign any number of attackers.


In this part you say that you get to attack an enemy right after it has attacked you, which is false. First all enemies attack you, and only after that do you get to hit them back.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.