Dakota Thames
United States
Norcross
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys/gals/other beings,

I recently made a new friend that has a very similar taste in board games! Hooray! Unfortunately, they are on vacation right now and will be returning to their home soon, Boo! So we need recommendations for board game apps that work best for two or at least are a great representation of the game! And we are having the craziest time deciding on what to buy haha. As always Thank you all for your help in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are lots of great apps out there. Lords of Waterdeep is a good port.

I'd also look at the board game arena website. My brother and I live 8 hours apart and occasionally get together on that site for a game. Lots of very good games there. And, it's free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Don't forget the possiblity of playing moderated, turn-based games online using such sites as Yucata and Boiteajeux. Certainly it's worth a few minutes to look at the games offered to see if there are any that you already like or that you're interested to learn.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yucata and BoardGameArena would be my suggestion too. If there's a game you already love that you can play remotely on your iPhone, great. But if you just want your board game fix with a faraway friend, it's hard to beat "free, and new games are added regularly on the same site".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dakota Thames
United States
Norcross
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Board game arena sounds like a perfect idea! I will have to give it a look. We first thought apps since he works quite a bit and can't always sit at a computer to play but if we can augment the turns this might be a great option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VASSAL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edeninferno wrote:
We first thought apps since he works quite a bit and can't always sit at a computer to play....

This is the very reason I am a huge fan of the various turn-based, browser-based sites. I've had game pals in time zones all around the world, and we never have to try to be online at the same time, plus we can log in from any computer that's convenient. Sure, sometimes we are online at the same time and ping-pong moves back and forth, but mostly we come online when it's convenient, whether or not the other pal is on, and we can view all our games, make moves that are stored by the system, and carry on running conversations too.

Looking through your collection, I see that you have Kamisado, which is *very* nicely implemented on Yucata. I see that you also have given a "10" rating to chess (as do I), and I heartily recommend either Red Hot Pawn or ItsYourMove.com if you and your friend want to play that.

I don't want to monopolize your thread further, please feel free to send geekmail if I can help with information or assistance about these sites or playing online.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a friend who lives out of province. We play Summoner Wars every day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edeninferno wrote:
Board game arena sounds like a perfect idea! I will have to give it a look. We first thought apps since he works quite a bit and can't always sit at a computer to play but if we can augment the turns this might be a great option.

Yeah, turn-based mode on BGA is great. Even better now that the site works on my phone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.