Hide
2 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Additional Rumor Options rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fox Reinard
msg tools
I came to consider that while the quests in The Shadow Rune as a campaign were mostly disjointed and a bit imbalanced, some or all of them would make acceptable Rumors. Each Act 1 quest has two corresponding Act 2 quests that are (sometimes weakly) linked, depending on the winner. Similar to other Rumor sources, only one Rumor from the Shadow Rune campaign can be played in act 1, and whichever side wins determines what Advanced Quest is put into play for Act 2.

The rewards for each would probably need to be modified, given they should not grant XP, but I feel this idea has merit. Mostly because I thought of it and I am biased.

The quest rewards can be a relic from a campaign other than the one you are playing, chosen by the winner of each quest, and appropriate to the Act that was played. Dawnblade/Duskblade would be appropriate for an Act 2 quest and not Act 1, while Gauntlets of Power/Gauntlets of Spite would work as an Act 1 quest reward.

Flavour text would need to be modified in some cases (Monster's Hoard would have general text describing a relic instead of it being specifically the bow) to accommodate this idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea has merit indeed.

One thing to take into account, however, is that rumor quests and advanced quests feature a single encounter while all "normal" quests of The Shadow Rune are two-encounters ones.

If overall campaign time is not an issue for your group, the problem of excess search tokens is.
Normally, an entire rumor quest or advanced quest provide at most a number of search tokens equal to the number of heroes minus 1.
My suggestion is to remove them entirely in the first encounter and make the overlord player choose 1 to remove after the second encounter setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.