$20.00
$5.00
$15.00
Recommend
26 
 Thumb up
 Hide
40 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Excellent formula for a reboot rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an owner of nearly everything for 1st edition, I love everything I've read about this new edition so far. The ability to play the new version totally co-op with the app is fantastic, and I can always go back to a live Keeper with the old version when I like. It is also very cool that the old components can be integrated into the new scenarios. I think this is above and beyond friendly to first edition owners.

I am loving these reboots. Battlelore, Eldritch Horror, Runebound, Fury of Dracula, and now this. These are not just new reprints that update the games in minor ways. These versions are substantially different, and they don't replace the old versions, but rather reimagine them. I love that these provide a new way to play, and that they can sit on the shelf next to the originals, not as 2.0 versions, but as sequels. They don't at all obsolete the previous versions IMO, so there's no need to feel like the new releases have somehow eclipsed the prior. Even better when the new game will utilize the components of the old, like they are doing here.

Please keep these reboots coming FFG!
49 
 Thumb up
2.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Heidenreich

Palm Bay
Florida
msg tools
Except that I have been waiting for a reprint for call of the wild for some time now. Looks like it won't happen....
2 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, but they are out there, and I'd say this new version is likely to improve the supply of first ed stuff in the secondary market. Some people will jump ship.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Michels
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They will probably re-release the figures from that expansion like they are doing with the first edition Descent stuff. At least that is what I am hoping for.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
stormzbowler wrote:
They will probably re-release the figures from that expansion like they are doing with the first edition Descent stuff. At least that is what I am hoping for.


I think they will keep producing or bring the old monsters / tiles and investigators in some another way.

The entire Mansion of Madness 1ed line still in the reprint queue on FFG site.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't be more exited! New monsters, new investigators, sounds like new tiles, plus an app that makes this Electronic Talking Mansions of Madness! Add to that a kit to integrate all my 1st ed. stuff, and if I want to play without the app all I have to do is go back to the old rules... Fantasy Flight, shut up and take my money!
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely share the same sentiments as the OP. Furthermore, as long as the old expansions are still put on FFG´s "Upcoming" site, there is more than hope for usage of old tiles, minis and some components. However I doubt there will be any chance to continue with almost all but one of the scenarios: The cooperative 5a / 5b from Call of the Wild, if it could ever be interpreted.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
flag msg tools
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time I played Mansions 1st ed., I imagined how cool would be to have the map being progressively generated and populated. I thought about some kind of "touchscreen" implementation, but this hybrid app-driven solution seems a very, very good idea
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel T.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A bit off, but I love the box art (as it can be expected from FFG).
If you look a bit closely you can see that on the right side of the building a tentacle just throwing out an investigator out of the mansion.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree this is a great move. We tried playing the original a few times but the setup is a bit tedious and playing as a the keeper never felt fun to me. I've used the Descent 2.0 app and it was a lot of fun so I have high hopes for this as well.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Boucher
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with the OP 100%

The thing that stands out the most for me came when I was excitedly trying to find the planned release date. A week this Thursday you say?

How bloody refreshing is that? In this day and age when you see something interesting, look to see when it's available only to find that kickstarter starts in month.

Here's a game I'm really excited about and it will be available in a week. Awesome.
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garthasl wrote:
Agree with the OP 100%

The thing that stands out the most for me came when I was excitedly trying to find the planned release date. A week this Thursday you say?

How bloody refreshing is that? In this day and age when you see something interesting, look to see when it's available only to find that kickstarter starts in month.

Here's a game I'm really excited about and it will be available in a week. Awesome.


Agreed, but now that I've pre-ordered, what a looonnnngggg week this is going to be! Lol.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Boucher
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:


Agreed, but now that I've pre-ordered, what a looonnnngggg week this is going to be! Lol.


Amen to that brother
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree with this. Both versions complement each other so I don't feel bad for having v1. MoM v1 had a neat premise but lots of flaws in the actual execution, I hope they fix these in v2. Being able to play solo and coop is a major plus too. The price tag is high but I'll be picking it up asap.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Fox
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in as one who is not only thrilled about this, but also as someone who has already thrown his money at FFG and pre-ordered it. What my sincere hope is, however, is that I can still utilize my minis from 1ed as I already have painstakingly painted them all. I recognize there are new investigators but I'm wondering if the monster minis from 1ed can be re-purposed for 2ed? Will the tiles that slide into the bases for 2ed fit the 1ed minis? This is probably a question for another thread - so apologies.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyclodog wrote:
Count me in as one who is not only thrilled about this, but also as someone who has already thrown his money at FFG and pre-ordered it. What my sincere hope is, however, is that I can still utilize my minis from 1ed as I already have painstakingly painted them all. I recognize there are new investigators but I'm wondering if the monster minis from 1ed can be re-purposed for 2ed? Will the tiles that slide into the bases for 2ed fit the 1ed minis? This is probably a question for another thread - so apologies.


That's what the Conversion Kit is for.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game was entirely off my radar -- not just the 2e that nobody knew about, but MoM in general (I had opted to pass up the experience in 2012, and never looked back). Hell, I had even just spent twice my usual annual budget on gaming in one fail swoop buying into Descent so recently that I'm still awaiting the first box to darken my doorstep, but I just had to throw in to support FFG's efforts with this revision.

$84.99 in retail is painful. I am normally given quite a bit of pause at this price point. However, the variability offered by the app, plus a pure cooperative experience in an immersive setting make this iteration a day one 'must have.'

Smart integration of apps into games is a frontier I'm very excited to explore. This, Road to Legend, First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet, and Alchemist are truly inspired approaches to design.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Englund
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my FLGS still has a copy of the Call of the Wild expansion and I've been thinking of picking it up. Think I should get it now or wait for a reprint if/when FFG does a reprint in the second edition style?

Either way I'll probably buy into this one, I've been having a blast solo playing the Descent app, which is wonderful! I'm sure I'll have just as good of a time with this one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Webb
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boomer_Kable wrote:
So my FLGS still has a copy of the Call of the Wild expansion and I've been thinking of picking it up. Think I should get it now or wait for a reprint if/when FFG does a reprint in the second edition style?

Either way I'll probably buy into this one, I've been having a blast solo playing the Descent app, which is wonderful! I'm sure I'll have just as good of a time with this one.


As hard as Call of the Wild is to find right now, I would grab it. We still don't know how the reprints will happen, and if all the tiles will get reprinted etc...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
drasher25 wrote:
No, but they are out there, and I'd say this new version is likely to improve the supply of first ed stuff in the secondary market. Some people will jump ship.

Can't say I agree with this analysis. The included conversion kit means anyone who already had the first edition is going to be holding onto it when they pick up the second edition, because it's all basically free bonus content. And a lot of people who passed on the first edition and pick up the second will be looking to acquire the original for the additional content provided. Add to that the fact that all the first edition stuff just dropped off of the reprint list, and a lot of people who were planning to wait and pick these products up at retail are now going to want to get the available copies on the market before they disappear completely.

Given the only second edition game content that the first edition boxed offer are the tiles (the minis can all easily be proxied, thanks to the conversion kit) I think FFG will have a hard time repackaging this material into a new product. So I think they did a pretty solid favor to the original edition owners; I expect the value of those first edition boxed (not the PoD stuff) to retain it's over retail value for quite some time.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pseudotheist wrote:
drasher25 wrote:
No, but they are out there, and I'd say this new version is likely to improve the supply of first ed stuff in the secondary market. Some people will jump ship.

Can't say I agree with this analysis. The included conversion kit means anyone who already had the first edition is going to be holding onto it when they pick up the second edition, because it's all basically free bonus content. And a lot of people who passed on the first edition and pick up the second will be looking to acquire the original for the additional content provided. Add to that the fact that all the first edition stuff just dropped off of the reprint list, and a lot of people who were planning to wait and pick these products up at retail are now going to want to get the available copies on the market before they disappear completely.

Given the only second edition game content that the first edition boxed offer are the tiles (the minis can all easily be proxied, thanks to the conversion kit) I think FFG will have a hard time repackaging this material into a new product. So I think they did a pretty solid favor to the original edition owners; I expect the value of those first edition boxed (not the PoD stuff) to retain it's over retail value for quite some time.


Yep, I expect the value to go up actually. A sealed copy of the 1E base game just sold for $160 on eBay. A bundle of the base game and FA sold for $200. Those who want the old components ASAP and those who want to actually play the old Keeper version are going to be seeking these out. The demand will increase and the supply will decrease for a while.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the Meeplescope
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just as an aside OP, what's the Eldritch Horror reboot you speak of?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
Airdrawn78 wrote:
Just as an aside OP, what's the Eldritch Horror reboot you speak of?


I assume he means Eldritch Horror is a reboot of Arkham Horror.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spotH3D wrote:
Airdrawn78 wrote:
Just as an aside OP, what's the Eldritch Horror reboot you speak of?


I assume he means Eldritch Horror is a reboot of Arkham Horror.


That is indeed what I meant.

And the trend continues. Today a new DOOM was announced in the same mold. Same theme, substantially different game.



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the Meeplescope
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drasher25 wrote:
spotH3D wrote:
Airdrawn78 wrote:
Just as an aside OP, what's the Eldritch Horror reboot you speak of?


I assume he means Eldritch Horror is a reboot of Arkham Horror.


That is indeed what I meant.

And the trend continues. Today a new DOOM was announced in the same mold. Same theme, substantially different game.





Cool, just checking thanks
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.