Subject: A Challenging Basic Game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Weaver
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love this game and all the expansions. I agree with some criticisms of the game but despite its warts, I think it's one of the most delightful inspired, underappreciated games ever made.

That being said, one downside of many Flying Frog Games is an overabundance of "clunkiness" aka bookkeeping and little rules, little caveats, little upkeep items.

The basic game mostly correct this (the same reason I prefer the competitive game in Conquest of Planet Earth despite not being coop)

However, the basic game can be too easy; though overall, you lose some challenges AND some bonuses, I think the advanced game adds more to increase difficulty than to help you prepare for it.

What I'm wondering is has anyone come up with a house rule(s) or set of variants that make it so you largely jettison the extra "clunk" of the advanced game but still keep (or compensate in other ways) the challenge of the advanced game--keep in mind, I'm mostly talking about the cooperative game because I like it more and unlike Conquest of Planet Earth, or Fortune and Glory, it doesn't add too many rules just by becoming coop.

If you disagree and think that the basic game IS just as challenging, I'm curious what you think about that too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hatfield
United States
Helena
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious what you consider to be the "overabundance of clunkiness"?

I mean, the game has the same steps whether you are playing competitive or cooperative. The players take a turn starting with First Player. When all players have taken a turn, there's a Mystery Phase.

Yes, in the Mystery Phase you roll on the Cooperative Mystery Chart, so that's extra.

Yes, the Villain takes more hits.

But the Minion chart is the same.
The Villain's abilities are the same (whether you are just using their basic abilities or including their advanced abilities is up to you).

So I honestly don't see where the clunkiness is. If you could provide some examples, I may be able to understand what you're talking about trying to fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weaver
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think I wasn't super clear. I actually think the game doesn't get too much clunkiness from going from competitive to cooperative--hence I like cooperative more. I contrast this to FANG and COOPE where I prefer competitive because it does make a bigger difference in 'clunk'.

In a touch of evil, I see the extra clunkiness in the advanced game. I think my biggest example of this is honestly mostly to do with all the extra rules and things to remember to do on the villain sheet and sometimes the villain minion sheet. The most extreme example is the printed Shadow With where the advance version has so much to keep track of (at least it felt so). Even the Werewolf has just one thing in the basic game but a lot more in the advanced game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.