Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Scythe» Forums » Rules

Subject: 3 player setup question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Harris
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Quick question before my first 3 player game of Scythe. What if the random factions that are selected come up with two factions side by side and the third by themselves? Is that ok? Do some of you just make sure that there is at least one faction between? Thanks for your help!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hallow wrote:
Quick question before my first 3 player game of Scythe. What if the random factions that are selected come up with two factions side by side and the third by themselves? Is that ok? Do some of you just make sure that there is at least one faction between? Thanks for your help!


I have played a bunch of 3-player games. Starting position may affect your strategy but it won't affect the balance of the game overall. You are fine to just pick random factions and go.
12 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harris
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
Hallow wrote:
Quick question before my first 3 player game of Scythe. What if the random factions that are selected come up with two factions side by side and the third by themselves? Is that ok? Do some of you just make sure that there is at least one faction between? Thanks for your help!


I have played a bunch of 3-player games. Starting position may affect your strategy but it won't affect the balance of the game overall. You are fine to just pick random factions and go.


Thank you for your quick response Rev!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tarr
United States
Floyds Knobs
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My first (and only, so far, *snif*) game, it was a 3-player. I was Polania, and one of my opponents was... ummm... Is it Saxony? He was right next to me, anyways, and had all these incentives to attack, attack, attack... But he couldn't get to me. His Riverwalk ability didn't let him get to me at all.

It was fine.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The mines coupled with the various river walk abilities mean that every faction is about the same distance apart. It makes little difference if the factions are next to each other or across the map.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hewlett
msg tools
mbmb
Although, if newer players don't see those connections, you may find you draw more aggro from an adjacent player.

With experience, the map starts to look very connected.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from the faction with the workers that can cross the rivers (and this is really only a minor change to your decisions), none of the factions really have a big difference whether they're next to an active faction or not (due to Riverwalk capabilities, as previously mentioned).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tarrkid wrote:
My first (and only, so far, *snif*) game, it was a 3-player. I was Polania, and one of my opponents was... ummm... Is it Saxony? He was right next to me, anyways, and had all these incentives to attack, attack, attack... But he couldn't get to me. His Riverwalk ability didn't let him get to me at all.

It was fine.

And there's an example of Jamey's careful balancing in operation.

In the 3p games I've played, we simply randomly drew factions and played. It was no problem.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.