Subject: Board Game Table Advice > the ultimate table rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Dzuro
Australia
Newcastle
flag msg tools
Hello Everyone

My name is Robert and i am the owner/founder of Australia's largest PokerShop. We have been building Tables for 11 years now and have a strong following down here.

I come here today due to a large number of phone calls and email enquiries we have received of late about "Board Game Tables". The beautiful "Duchess table" was not available to us Aussies down here so i have dozens of restless Board Gamers who want us to build a Game Table for them I was told by several customers to come here and introduce myself and ask as many questions as i can to make them the perfect table.

My family love playing Board Games but i had no idea there was a game table to suit. All these years we have been playing on our dining table...

My business has lots of experience in building Luxury Poker Tables. I would love your help and input on how to build the mother of all tables for our customers. We always put 110% into our projects so i want to get this right.

Several customers directed me to the Duchess Table as a great start to get ideas. Some feedback for improvements i received were;

1. Make it a little bigger.
What are your thoughts on this?
The 2 most common sizes mentioned for the playing surface area was either 5 1/2 foot by 3 1/4 foot wide or 5 1/2 foot by 3 1/2 foot wide.
What are your thoughts on this? Obviously if its too big its hard to pay the games, cannot reach to the other side....

2. Make it a little more affordable.
Going cheaper means using cheaper materials. Is this a mistake? The Duchess entry price was $499. Do you think many customers were lost in the $300'ish price range? Any of you guys didnt buy because of the price?
What features could you sacrifice to get the cost down?
Drawers not needed right? Or would drawers be a welcomed addition for an added price? 6 drawers?

3. Offer the entry level table with folding legs (driving entry level price down).
Is this something of interest? Solid legs to be an optional add on

4. 3 inch wide rail/arm rest.
Is this the ideal width?

5. 2 1/2 inch depth from the felt to the top of the arm rest / rail. Is this ideal or would it be better if it was another size?

6. Cup holders as an optional add on but positioned down below the playing surface. Is this ideal?

7. One customer asked if we could have the cup holders on the outside down below the playing area but as an accessory that joins to the table in a magnetic groove (like a race track - hope this makes sense) so that you can position the cup holder anywhere you like, its not fixed at one point. Any thoughts on this idea?

8. A few customers asked if we could make the arm rest a comfy vinyl material instead of timber. So that its more comfortable to lean on. Any one else think this is an interesting idea???

9. The table topper (dining top) to be built as 2 halves (split in 2 pieces).
What mechanism to use to lift each half?
My initial thought is what about spills, water seapage to the felt. How to control this?

10. Where do you prefer the table topper to sit. Inside the playing surface in a raised lip so not touching the felt or to sit ontop of the wooden arm rest?

11. What material is preferred for the playing surface? What colours are most popular?

12. What timber is the preferred choice? Remembering this plays a part in overall cost.

13. Anything missing that could make the table perfect.

If we build the ideal table and get enough interest from the international community, we could get this project onto kickstarter early next year. It would need to be an improvement (if thats possible) to the beautiful Duchess or a cheaper table option to help those who couldnt afford the Duchess. I know we can build anything, we have over 10 years experience in the gaming and furniture building business. We have Luxury Poker Tables that become a 2 in 1 table with a solid table topper etc. We build LED Luxury tables for our Poker customers. We could build an amazing table with your help. We already have international fulfillment services in place worldwide so distribution isnt an issue, we ship globally every week.

I hope this email was not too long. Thank you for taking the time to read all of this if you got this far
Our website and facebook page is below if interested to learn more about us;
www.pokershop.com.au
www.facebook.com/pokershop.com.au/

Please help us if you can, guide us to make the ultimate Board Game Table.

Regards
Robert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
I would check out boardgametables.com, Carolina Game Tables, Geeknson, and GeekChic for examples of existing board game tables. Obviously, those are the pricier models (especially GeekChic).

You might also want to check out the recent (failed) Kickstarter for the Taylah from Geeknson. I believe they were trying to imitate the success of the Duchess, but the aesthetics and materials of their table didn't seem as appealing, plus I think the Duchess had already saturated the Kickstarter market for gaming tables.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Dzuro
Australia
Newcastle
flag msg tools
Thank you for your help David. Im looking forward to making this a reality

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.