DC Comics Deck-Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Mini Expansion: Kaiju Collection II rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Inspired by the original custom ideas of Stu Anderson (andjosh05 https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1056972/marvel-expansion-av) and others in the variant section. I decided to add-on to the Marvel characters with character specific theme mini expansions instead of trying to make big boxed sets.

This is for entertainment purposes only. Not to be sold. All art work and characters belong to Marvel comics and the respective creators.

This is part 2 of the collection. In the first part of this I told you how this is a Rivals custom expansion, well lets expand on that. The custom Rivals set up with this mini expansion will allow you to make any Super Hero or Super Villain card a Rival card.

Part II: Rivals cutouts

There are some cutouts to overlay on your own Super Hero/Super Villain card. There are custom Rivals overlays with the GIANT Ability and a set without. 9 cost and 12 cost have abilities from Rivals: Batman versus Joker. The 15 cost ability has no text because the text on your character's card is the 15 cost ability.

Part II: Page 1

Included on Page 1 is Enter the Breach and you will see why later. Moreover, one of the greatest fantasy battles to never take place could happen in DC Deck Builder...Godzilla vs Cthulhu. This Cthulhu Super-Villain has 15 cost and can end the game with his Ongoing ability combined with his First Appearance-Attack. So defeat him fast. His Event card "The Calling..." is a variation on "Demonic Summoning" with a different Ongoing ability."Demonic Summoming" and "The Calling..." are designed to be played back-to-back with "The Calling" meant to be played first.

Part II: Page 2

If this is a Rivals custom set than we need good Kaiju versus bad Kaiju. We also need man versus monster or Mechs versus Kaiju. To be more specific Pacific Rim Jaegers versus the most famous Kaijus of all-time. I understand they are from different time periods but that Breach, yo. It can do some crazy stuff.

Anyway, Jaegers special ability are mostly based on Equipment and Villains. These cards have the Legendary logo because the movie studio that made the movie, Legendary, has started its own comic line and produces Pacific Rim comics.

Let's not forget that this is were the Event (Crisis) card "Enter the Breach" comes into play. Battle Kaiju and close the Breach but be careful, with the Ascend ability and GIANT these Kaiju can quickly become dangerously overwhelming to the Pan Pacific Defense Force.

Part II: Page 3

The third and final page is the Jaeger equipment and Hero cards. The Hero cards are done slightly different. Instead of individual hero cards they are the different versions of the Jaegers categorized as Mark 1-5. So each Jaeger can be upgraded depending on the card you play that turn. The Jaeger, Equipment, Hero and Super Hero are all made synergistically. These will also work with the "Military" card.

Remember the Jaegers Hero cards have GIANT on them so consider that when buying them. If you playing a Jaeger and go to buy the Hero cards, think of "destroying the top card of the main deck" as the cost of resources to build a giant Mecha.

PLEASE NOTE
The GIANT ability on Kaiju and Jaegers can quickly deplete your main deck so be judicious when selecting how many you want in your deck. How many Kaiju/Jaegers to put in your deck depends on how tough you want your game. In most monster movies 3-5 is a good amount for Villains. Use about 3 Super-Villains and 2 Events (Crisis) cards.

Be aware that the cost of most of these cards is very high.

You can find Part 1 of this mini expansion here... https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1610354/mini-expansion-kaij...

As always, your feedback is welcome. The final part of this mini expansion is coming soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robot romeo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! I want that Cherno Alpha card!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
robot_romeo wrote:
Awesome! I want that Cherno Alpha card!

Awesome.

The interesting design choices were made to make the Jaegers unique fighting personalities show through in the game. In the movie the Cherno Alpha was a close combat brute. The opposite is Coyote Tango who is a range expert.

If you play Cherno Alpha with his correct make and model (Mark 1&2) along with his equipment (fist weapon) you can see how to maximize his power in a turn and possibly defeat some of these "hall of fame" Kaiju. This is what I meant by their is synergy between the matching Super Hero, Hero and equipment cards. If you don't know that much about your favorite Jaeger, go to Pacific Rim Wiki to learn more details.

http://pacificrim.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Jaegers

All cards are sized correctly and ready for printing. If you want each card posted individually so you can load them to some of the more printing sites, please let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.