Brass Empire» Forums » General

Subject: Storage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed P

Ohio
msg tools
mbmb
I started to put my cards in sleeves, and then when I tried to put them in the box the sleeved cards don't fit in the flat storage bins.

There simply isn't enough room in the side storage for all the cards sleeved.

*sad panda*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gnade
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed - I did fit all my sleeved cards in the box. Here was my technique:

I put all 200 center row cards in the column. Then I put all the reserve cards in a card well at an angle and then all the starting clerks/union workers in the other wells standing up on their sides but at an angle.

Give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Walker
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmb
what is the central storage for? with its indentations for cards....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed P

Ohio
msg tools
mbmb
I think I tried that, but my cards stick out above the top of the box, so I can't close the lid.

Do you have a pic of what you are talking about please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed P

Ohio
msg tools
mbmb
*edited*

OK - I think I got it. I'm not real excited about the cards being at an angle, seems the corners are seeing a little stress. I might either look into building a foam core for the box, or maybe cutting out the bottom of the horizontal trays so that cards can sit in there vertically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
Annoying. Grey FFG sleeves are the only ones that fit close and they do not fit in either area.

Why can't game makers think about this a bit? The whole insert is a waste! I will not leave sleeves off a deck building game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrews777 wrote:
Why can't game makers think about this a bit?

Because only a small minority of customers are going to sleeve their cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
andrews777 wrote:
Why can't game makers think about this a bit?

Because only a small minority of customers are going to sleeve their cards.

Keep telling yourself and you may believe it.

Of course most could be anything greater than 50.000001%, so you may be right, but not putting across the correct point. Those who negate the value of those who do protect their games can hit a big spending portion of the market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed, do the top of the sleeves bend a bit the way you have it shown above? I sleeved a card and the top got bent. I don't think that would be good for the sleeves, leaving them with a permanent tiny bend at the top most likely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrews777 wrote:
Those who negate the value of those who do protect their games can hit a big spending portion of the market.

I don't understand what this means. If only 5-10% of buyers are going to sleeve their cards, then designing the product primarily for the 90-95% and placing less emphasis on the 5-10% makes sense to me. That's just commercial business logic. It doesn't matter much if the 5-10% are "big spending", they are still only buying one copy just like the rest of the customers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
andrews777 wrote:
Those who negate the value of those who do protect their games can hit a big spending portion of the market.

I don't understand what this means. If only 5-10% of buyers are going to sleeve their cards, then designing the product primarily for the 90-95% and placing less emphasis on the 5-10% makes sense to me. That's just commercial business logic. It doesn't matter much if the 5-10% are "big spending", they are still only buying one copy just like the rest of the customers.

Making the storage box have about 2-3 mm extra space for card size would hardly be a major redesign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrews777 wrote:
Making the storage box have about 2-3 mm extra space for card size would hardly be a major redesign.

That sounds like a good idea if that's all it would take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
andrews777 wrote:

That sounds like a good idea if that's all it would take.

I believe it would be enough in this case. I don't know the plastic modeling specs, but the top of the sleeves just bend a bit. It is almost as if they planned for sleeves, just not the right ones.

That is one reason I asked in another thread. I do not want to trim down the sleeves for all these cards though. I haven't trimmed any sleeves yet and I don't trust that I could do it consistently.

Nice holder overall though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

As I mentioned in the other 'sleeves' thread - I used KMC Perfect Size sleeves and there's no need to angle any cards. They are literally perfect inside the supplied box insert.

Thought I'd mention it in case it was of interest to anyone now or in the future. Oh and in reference to those who sleeve/don't sleeve - I totally agree that you may as well cater for both if you can. Crazy not to.

Personally, I sleeve for the ease of shuffling, the aesthetic (depends if I'm using colour backs or not) and for the protection against any general wear and tear. Mainly though, the shuffling.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
manserfamily wrote:

As I mentioned in the other 'sleeves' thread - I used KMC Perfect Size sleeves and there's no need to angle any cards. They are literally perfect inside the supplied box insert.

Thought I'd mention it in case it was of interest to anyone now or in the future. Oh and in reference to those who sleeve/don't sleeve - I totally agree that you may as well cater for both if you can. Crazy not to.

Personally, I sleeve for the ease of shuffling, the aesthetic (depends if I'm using colour backs or not) and for the protection against any general wear and tear. Mainly though, the shuffling.

Cheers!

I recall looking them up when this thread was active and they were listed as the same size as the FFG sleeves, so I am skeptical they would work where those fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrews777 wrote:

I recall looking them up when this thread was active and they were listed as the same size as the FFG sleeves, so I am skeptical they would work where those fail.

Hey mate. Yeah, me too. Apparently though, the 'perfect size' relates to the near second-skin style effect the sleeves have rather than the card size itself. There's practically zero excess which seems to help with stacking in various boxes with little or no corner bend. I was so impressed, I migrated several of my sleeved games over to using them, regaining a lot of space in various dividers and storage spots.

They're snug and yet easy to take out if you want. So personally, I'm a fan. For reference, here's a couple of pics to maybe appease your scepticism, at least from my perspective:

I'm just hoping that this shows Mike that there's a space in the box that needs filling with some new cards, preferably some kind of solo campaign or bosses. hint hint.

Cheers, Steve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this the sleeve being discussed?

https://smile.amazon.com/KMC-pochettes-Barrier-Komainu-Dou-O...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.